GrayL

My K-1 Sydney Interview Process

23 posts in this topic

Hello fellow VJ'ers,

Over the last months you good people have been invaluable throughout my VISA process, so I wanted to hopefully put something back to the community.

I had my final K-1 VISA Interview this morning at the Sydney Consulate (MLC Centre, Level 10), and here's my play by play of what happened, leading up to my eventual approval, just 30 minutes ago!

My interview was scheduled for 8:00am, I arrived at 7:30 and sat in the lobby area, got there nice and early, got the nerves somewhat calmed!

I headed up to the elevator in the MLC centre at 7:50am, they are right the way on the right hand side, and headed up to level 10.

First you need to go through security one you get to the consulate suite, identical to airport security, so I had to take off my belt and remove my electronics. I needed to show my passport at this stage, nothing else.

Next I had to surrender everything electronic, so I wasn't able to take my phone or iPad to the consulate, I wasn't even allowed to take my bag! Fair enough really! They give you a ticket so you can get it back on your way out.

Next they shoot you up about 40 floors to the consulate, and you show your passport and letter to the entrance lady. She ticks your name from the list and buzzes you into the actual consulate.

You take a ticket, and take a seat.

The first wait was approximately 10 minutes, then they get you up and take off of you your passport, the 3kg envelope, and the payment receipt. This took about a minute or two. Then then ask you to sit down again while they get your documents prepared.

I waited for about 20 minutes, and then got called back again, the lady gave me all of my original documents and asked me to take another seat, while I waited for my actual interview. She also briefly explained the next step. That again only took a minute or two

I waited for about 25-30 minutes, then got called up for the actual interview, so nervous I walked up to the counter.

The interview starts with them going through all of your documents (that they had already), and they asked you questions like which countries you have lived in for longer than 12 months etc. He went through the official documents to ensure nothing was missing, thankfully nothing was.

Next he asked about my relationship, how did we meet, what made us decide to want to get married, I have only been with my fiance just over a year, so he asked me "This is a big step, what made you so sure you want to marry your fiance", stuff like that.. you just answer honestly, and that's about it.

Next they go through the Affidavit, and asked about both mine and my fiancee's employment, where we both work, and what I plan to do when I get to the USA for work, standard stuff like that.

They then let me know that I needed to marry within 60 days, and had to go to the USA within 6 months. And also let me know that I couldn't leave until I had my green card.

Lastly they get you to sign the DS-230 part II, they had it all ready to go.

And.. that was about it. After that he pretty much told me that he had everything he needed to approve the VISA, and gave me a little piece of paper that said, "Congratulations, your VISA has been approved" with my case number and the tracking number of the 3kg envelope. I was told I would have it in the mail at the latest by Tuesday next week (ie one week). The interview took about 20 minutes.

I was finished by 9:30, so the whole process was approximately one and half hours!

I went to the interview with a massive stack of paper, everything we've ever sent to the consulate, everything we received, relationship evidence, engagement evidence, X-Rays (which I found out you don't need unless you have something wrong with you!), the list goes on. But none of it was required. I would still recommend you bring everything, makes you look like you're prepared (the guy even commented that I looked prepared!).

I have to also say everyone at the consulate was super nice and friendly, greeted you with a smile and really just wanted to make sure they had everything so that they could approve the VISA!

So anyway, I figured this play by play would have been beneficial for me to read prior to the interview, so hopefully it will help someone else too!

Here's just a few tips I can give you:

1. Get there a little early, maybe 10-15 minutes, they are all ready to go, even at 8:00am, and I think being there early made the process quicker, about ten minutes later quite a few people arrived, and it's a first come first served basis, so it can't help getting ahead!

2. Go to the bathroom before you enter the consulate! You can't go when your inside the consulate!

3. Don't rely on anything you may want to use as evidence being on an electronic device (phone, laptop), as they don't let you take anything up with you, only paperwork and that's it!

4. Relax! Hard to say, but if you're confident you have what you need (the only thing they ask for is what was outlined in the letter, so passport, 3kg postage bag and the payment receipt from Australia post) then the process will be relatively straight forward and you'll be done before you know it!

5. Take a bottle of water with you, you'll need it!

6. They keep your passport! So don't rely on it to get you home, if you're like me and had to fly in from another state!

I'm off to do a bit of sightseeing and to celebrate!

Good luck to each and everyone of you!

GrayL :dance:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Congratulations, and thanks for the write up. One question though, you wrote: "They then let me know that I needed to marry within 60 days". I thought it was 90 days?

SORRY, my apologies, yes, I meant to say 90 days! 90 days after you enter the US, not 60, my mistake!

I think I'm still in shock :blush:

GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd

Congratulations!!

I'm sure your account will be really helpful to others that follow.

Didn't get to see you....you were in and out before I was even allowed in lol!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Congratulations!!

My interview (not booked yet, waiting on a redone i-134 from my fiance as he changed jobs!) will be in a month or so hopefully, I do still need to get my medical done, hopefully going to book that tomorrow. it's good to know all this stuff so I can be prepared when I fly to Sydney hehe

I'm confused about the envelope though? Do we just buy a 3kg express envelope and put our address on it then give it to them or what? Is it explained in packet 4? Lol so confused D:

Edited by Katie & Trev

30th March 2011 - I-129F sent!

8th April 2011 - NOA1 Hardcopy recieved.

24th June 2011 - NOA2!!! [80 days]

30th June 2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy received.

27th July 2011 - Packet 3 instructions emailed to me!

27th July 2011 - Get my Police check done. 3-4 weeks? omg!

19th August 2011 - Medical!

22nd August 2011 - Medical results, passed!

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

22nd September 2011 - Packet 4 Received!

25th October 2011 - INTERVIEW! Eek!

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

1st November 2011 - Visa Recieved!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

19th January 2012 - Wedding

3rd February 2012 - Applied for SSN in maiden name

10th February 2012 - SSN arrived in mail

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

Congratulations!!

My interview (not booked yet, waiting on a redone i-134 from my fiance as he changed jobs!) will be in a month or so hopefully, I do still need to get my medical done, hopefully going to book that tomorrow. it's good to know all this stuff so I can be prepared when I fly to Sydney hehe

I'm confused about the envelope though? Do we just buy a 3kg express envelope and put our address on it then give it to them or what? Is it explained in packet 4? Lol so confused D:

Yep just go down to the Australia Post and get a 3kg platinum express post satchel, it costs about $18, then just write your details on it, and bring it along to your interview.

When you give the consulate official the satchel they will give you the tracking sticker on it, so you can trace it online.

Basically they put the final paperwork in it, so you write the address where you want them to send the final packet.

Also, my medical was fairly painless, I was able to get an appointment in just over a week, and the results were done in two days after the appointment, just make sure you bring US size passport photos, not Australian ones as they are not accepted (As I found out the hard way!)

Good luck to you!

Gray

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Congratulations!!

I'm sure your account will be really helpful to others that follow.

Didn't get to see you....you were in and out before I was even allowed in lol!

D'oh, yeah, what a shame, I really thought it was going to take all day too, what a pleasant surprise!

Happy that we both got good news, onwards and upwards, and in this case, homeward bound!

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Yep just go down to the Australia Post and get a 3kg platinum express post satchel, it costs about $18, then just write your details on it, and bring it along to your interview.

When you give the consulate official the satchel they will give you the tracking sticker on it, so you can trace it online.

Basically they put the final paperwork in it, so you write the address where you want them to send the final packet.

Also, my medical was fairly painless, I was able to get an appointment in just over a week, and the results were done in two days after the appointment, just make sure you bring US size passport photos, not Australian ones as they are not accepted (As I found out the hard way!)

Good luck to you!

Gray

Oooh okay, good to know, thank you!! :)

US sized passport photos? Ugh. How do I get those? (Sorry for the billion questions, haha..) I had some leftover ones from when I sent my i-129F that I got taken in a postoffice, so I guess they wont be suitable? d'oh.

Good to see Aussies getting approved! Hopefully soon I'll be writing on here about my experiences with the consulate and fingers crossed, approval! :D

30th March 2011 - I-129F sent!

8th April 2011 - NOA1 Hardcopy recieved.

24th June 2011 - NOA2!!! [80 days]

30th June 2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy received.

27th July 2011 - Packet 3 instructions emailed to me!

27th July 2011 - Get my Police check done. 3-4 weeks? omg!

19th August 2011 - Medical!

22nd August 2011 - Medical results, passed!

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

22nd September 2011 - Packet 4 Received!

25th October 2011 - INTERVIEW! Eek!

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

1st November 2011 - Visa Recieved!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

19th January 2012 - Wedding

3rd February 2012 - Applied for SSN in maiden name

10th February 2012 - SSN arrived in mail

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

US sized passport photos? Ugh. How do I get those? (Sorry for the billion questions, haha..) I had some leftover ones from when I sent my i-129F that I got taken in a postoffice, so I guess they wont be suitable? d'oh.

Good to see Aussies getting approved! Hopefully soon I'll be writing on here about my experiences with the consulate and fingers crossed, approval! :D

I had to hunt around a bit, but I managed to find enough places to get them, just go to a photo shop and ask around, 'international visa photos' are fairly common, I got mine done at a Camera house and also a local pharmacy!

Yep I went in armed with Australian photos, and they outright denied it! Luckily there was a place near the place I went to get my x-rays done, and I got them there on the same day, so it didn't delay. Honestly, I think so many people make the mistake, when she told me off, it was like a recorded message, all that was missing was the beep.. haha

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

I had to hunt around a bit, but I managed to find enough places to get them, just go to a photo shop and ask around, 'international visa photos' are fairly common, I got mine done at a Camera house and also a local pharmacy!

Yep I went in armed with Australian photos, and they outright denied it! Luckily there was a place near the place I went to get my x-rays done, and I got them there on the same day, so it didn't delay. Honestly, I think so many people make the mistake, when she told me off, it was like a recorded message, all that was missing was the beep.. haha

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Good Luck!

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! wow, thats absolutely wonderful news :) When are you going back over to the US? Good luck with everything

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you can't find a place near where you live there is a photo place bottom level of MLC building that do passport on the spot for you.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello fellow VJ'ers,

Over the last months you good people have been invaluable throughout my VISA process, so I wanted to hopefully put something back to the community.

I had my final K-1 VISA Interview this morning at the Sydney Consulate (MLC Centre, Level 10), and here's my play by play of what happened, leading up to my eventual approval, just 30 minutes ago!

My interview was scheduled for 8:00am, I arrived at 7:30 and sat in the lobby area, got there nice and early, got the nerves somewhat calmed!

I headed up to the elevator in the MLC centre at 7:50am, they are right the way on the right hand side, and headed up to level 10.

First you need to go through security one you get to the consulate suite, identical to airport security, so I had to take off my belt and remove my electronics. I needed to show my passport at this stage, nothing else.

Next I had to surrender everything electronic, so I wasn't able to take my phone or iPad to the consulate, I wasn't even allowed to take my bag! Fair enough really! They give you a ticket so you can get it back on your way out.

Next they shoot you up about 40 floors to the consulate, and you show your passport and letter to the entrance lady. She ticks your name from the list and buzzes you into the actual consulate.

You take a ticket, and take a seat.

The first wait was approximately 10 minutes, then they get you up and take off of you your passport, the 3kg envelope, and the payment receipt. This took about a minute or two. Then then ask you to sit down again while they get your documents prepared.

I waited for about 20 minutes, and then got called back again, the lady gave me all of my original documents and asked me to take another seat, while I waited for my actual interview. She also briefly explained the next step. That again only took a minute or two

I waited for about 25-30 minutes, then got called up for the actual interview, so nervous I walked up to the counter.

The interview starts with them going through all of your documents (that they had already), and they asked you questions like which countries you have lived in for longer than 12 months etc. He went through the official documents to ensure nothing was missing, thankfully nothing was.

Next he asked about my relationship, how did we meet, what made us decide to want to get married, I have only been with my fiance just over a year, so he asked me "This is a big step, what made you so sure you want to marry your fiance", stuff like that.. you just answer honestly, and that's about it.

Next they go through the Affidavit, and asked about both mine and my fiancee's employment, where we both work, and what I plan to do when I get to the USA for work, standard stuff like that.

They then let me know that I needed to marry within 60 days, and had to go to the USA within 6 months. And also let me know that I couldn't leave until I had my green card.

Lastly they get you to sign the DS-230 part II, they had it all ready to go.

And.. that was about it. After that he pretty much told me that he had everything he needed to approve the VISA, and gave me a little piece of paper that said, "Congratulations, your VISA has been approved" with my case number and the tracking number of the 3kg envelope. I was told I would have it in the mail at the latest by Tuesday next week (ie one week). The interview took about 20 minutes.

I was finished by 9:30, so the whole process was approximately one and half hours!

I went to the interview with a massive stack of paper, everything we've ever sent to the consulate, everything we received, relationship evidence, engagement evidence, X-Rays (which I found out you don't need unless you have something wrong with you!), the list goes on. But none of it was required. I would still recommend you bring everything, makes you look like you're prepared (the guy even commented that I looked prepared!).

I have to also say everyone at the consulate was super nice and friendly, greeted you with a smile and really just wanted to make sure they had everything so that they could approve the VISA!

So anyway, I figured this play by play would have been beneficial for me to read prior to the interview, so hopefully it will help someone else too!

Here's just a few tips I can give you:

1. Get there a little early, maybe 10-15 minutes, they are all ready to go, even at 8:00am, and I think being there early made the process quicker, about ten minutes later quite a few people arrived, and it's a first come first served basis, so it can't help getting ahead!

2. Go to the bathroom before you enter the consulate! You can't go when your inside the consulate!

3. Don't rely on anything you may want to use as evidence being on an electronic device (phone, laptop), as they don't let you take anything up with you, only paperwork and that's it!

4. Relax! Hard to say, but if you're confident you have what you need (the only thing they ask for is what was outlined in the letter, so passport, 3kg postage bag and the payment receipt from Australia post) then the process will be relatively straight forward and you'll be done before you know it!

5. Take a bottle of water with you, you'll need it!

6. They keep your passport! So don't rely on it to get you home, if you're like me and had to fly in from another state!

I'm off to do a bit of sightseeing and to celebrate!

Good luck to each and everyone of you!

GrayL :dance:

Good blow by blow, nice job. Congratulations.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; CONGRATS!! I had my interview last tuesday and received my VISA today!! :dance:

I hope you'll receive yours in a week too!! Good luck and have fun sight seeing!! :innocent:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.