ez075318

evidence to marry at us city hall

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

my fiancé is coming to us from Indonesia in 2 months. we plan to get married in city hall right after she arrive us.

What id or evidence do we need to present to the city hall in order to get marry?

thank you

Usually just photo ID such as a passport or drivers license. You need to check the requirements for the state you are getting married in also.

K1 Visa

Mar 28th 2011 - I-129F posted.

Mar 31st 11 - Delivered.

Apr 5th 11 - NOA1 (email).

Apr 8th 11 - NOA1 hardcopy received - dated 4/4/11

June 24th 11 - NOA2 hardcopy received - dated 20/6/11

July 19th 11 - Case number given

Aug 5th 11 - Packet 3 letter received

Aug 13th 11 - Police certificate received

Aug 15th 11 - Medical booked for 22 Aug @ 9.50am

Aug 16th 11 - Packet 3 returned & Visa fee paid

Aug 22nd 11 - Medical complete

Oct 7th - Interview - Approved =)

Nov 14th - POE Chicago

Jan 8th 2012 - Wedding ♥

AOS

Mar 24th 2012 - Package posted to Chicago PO Box

Mar 29th 2012 - NOA1 by email

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just a warning many states require a social security number. Missouri, where I live currently, does and the social security office said my fiance would not be eligible for a social security number until a government entity says one is required for their purposes-not terribly helpful. I have heard on here that other people are able to get social security numbers for their fiance(e)s.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Just a warning many states require a social security number. Missouri, where I live currently, does and the social security office said my fiance would not be eligible for a social security number until a government entity says one is required for their purposes-not terribly helpful. I have heard on here that other people are able to get social security numbers for their fiance(e)s.

Chinook and I are K-1ers. We went down to the local Social Security office about one week after Chinook arrived in the U.S. Chinook didn't have any problem getting a Social Security number. Her card was in the mailbox a week later.

Some employees at the Social Security office don't realize that K-1ers are allowed to get a Social Security card. If you run into one of those employees, just ask to speak to a supervisor. Also, there's a Social Security Department bulletin somewhere on VJ which shows that K-1ers can get a Social Security card.

Timeline

Thanks, Tahoma!

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

The whole reason a K-1 is eligible for a SSN is for this issue. Some states require a SSN for marriage. You are eligible for a SSN with K-1.

Side note: I believe there was a law passed that SSN couldn't be a required document if the person did not have one. In other words, people that had one already needed to show it but foreign nationals did not. In looking at Missouri gov websites, they all say you need a SSN so maybe I am wrong... If I find the actual law I will send you a PM.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Zing! Found the Missouri state law. If the person does not have a SSN, it is not required. They will have to make a sworn statement that they do not have a SSN.

http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2005/t30/4510000040.html

"Each application for a license shall contain the Social Security number of the applicant, provided that the applicant in fact has a Social Security number, or the applicant shall sign a statement provided by the recorder that the applicant does not have a Social Security number."

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Thanks, Harpa! I am going to double-check every place I said such a thing and correct with what you said so others will have accurate info. Appreciate your legwork on this! I spent alot of time and frustration trying to figure out how to do this and thought I hit brick walls!

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

my fiancé is coming to us from Indonesia in 2 months. we plan to get married in city hall right after she arrive us.

What id or evidence do we need to present to the city hall in order to get marry?

thank you

Check our state requirements or state you will get married in. USC state ID, know when you got divorced. Finance Visa, I94, birth certificate etc. know divorce dates. Have Fun

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Zing! Found the Missouri state law. If the person does not have a SSN, it is not required. They will have to make a sworn statement that they do not have a SSN.

http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2005/t30/4510000040.html

"Each application for a license shall contain the Social Security number of the applicant, provided that the applicant in fact has a Social Security number, or the applicant shall sign a statement provided by the recorder that the applicant does not have a Social Security number."

Just to update you, Harpa, I just called the county clerk and, my goodness, she did not want to look that law up!!! I insisted and we will see when she gets back to me what she says.

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

Yeah, I would expect drones at the county office, but the only way to do it is to force them to look up their own laws. I found the law on the "Missouri Recorders" website (morecorders.com) which appears to be a website for county clerks and the like. They said something like "SSN is required is accordance with law XXX blah blah blah" so I looked up that law and found the "fine print" so to speak. The recorders website acknowledges right there that that is the law they are acting in accordance with, yet they don't know what it really says!

Also a 2008 Supreme Court ruling stating SSN's aren't required for marriage.

Thanks Blob! I thought there was something like that but I didn't know the date or the source. Do you have any link to the case? Many thanks!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, I would expect drones at the county office, but the only way to do it is to force them to look up their own laws. I found the law on the "Missouri Recorders" website (morecorders.com) which appears to be a website for county clerks and the like. They said something like "SSN is required is accordance with law XXX blah blah blah" so I looked up that law and found the "fine print" so to speak. The recorders website acknowledges right there that that is the law they are acting in accordance with, yet they don't know what it really says!

Thanks Blob! I thought there was something like that but I didn't know the date or the source. Do you have any link to the case? Many thanks!

Oh jeez hehe. No I don't, I found it once before and even then it was a pain to find. I think Gary had a link to it awhile ago but I'm not sure.

On the website thing. It said the same on my counties website in MD, then I looked at the bottom and it was dated 2008...they didn't bother updating it since then SC ruling (musta pissed them off haha). I just did a websearch for for my county and state marriage laws and one site that was up to date didn't list the SSN as required.

Either way, if any State requires a SSN they are in violation of the Supreme Courts ruling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.