MauiBec

Travel for Dual Australian & US Citizen

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I just became a US citizen last December, so I'm now dual Australian/US. My question is when I travel back home to Australia and then back to the US which passport do I use when?

When I leave the US, do I show my Australian or US passport?

I know entering Australia I use my Australian passport. Do they need to stamp my US passport to prove to the US I was in Australia?

When I leave Australia I use my Australian passport. Do they need to stamp my US passport to prove to the US I left Australia?

When I return to the US, I show my US passport but if there's not a stamp to/from Australia because I entered Australia with my Australian passport, will they care? Does it cause problems/questions?

Any advice from others that have been through this situation greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I just became a US citizen last December, so I'm now dual Australian/US. My question is when I travel back home to Australia and then back to the US which passport do I use when?

When I leave the US, do I show my Australian or US passport?

I know entering Australia I use my Australian passport. Do they need to stamp my US passport to prove to the US I was in Australia?

When I leave Australia I use my Australian passport. Do they need to stamp my US passport to prove to the US I left Australia?

When I return to the US, I show my US passport but if there's not a stamp to/from Australia because I entered Australia with my Australian passport, will they care? Does it cause problems/questions?

Any advice from others that have been through this situation greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I am not sure but I thought that was just a formality you can use either passport. Am sure someone will chime in with this experience.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The US does not stamp you out. Typically you'd enter each country with that passport. Oz in Oz, US in US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Leaving and returning to the US - you MUST use your US passport on the US side. Entering Australia use your Aussie passport. Leaving Oz (on the Oz side) - its better to use your US passport if travelling directly to the US.

You must use the US passport when entering/exiting the US. The US does not recognize other passports once you become a US citizen.

Don't know about Australia...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

With very few exceptions, Canada being the only one I'm sure about, every country among the 251 we now have on this globe requires it citizens to identify themselves as such when on their soil. So even the United Kingdom, one of the most liberal countries and an open advocate of multiple citizenships, requires U.K. citizens to pull out their red passport when arriving and leaving.

The U.S., which does not recognize dual citizenship, requires the same under the thread of prosecution.

Thus, you need to leave the U.S. showing your U.S. passport. You will enter Kangarooland with your Aussie passport.

You will leave Aussieland showing your black passport again, and enter the U.S. with your blue one.

Outside your two countries of citizenship, you can choose what you want to be. For example, if I were to enter Iran (God forbid), I would do that with my German passport. If I were to travel to Israel, I'd choose to be an American.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Leaving and entering the US you use your US passport. Entering and leaving Australia your Australian passport.

To put it another way ,you are a US citizen when dealing with the US and an Australian citizen when dealing with Australia.

My timeline:

• [00] N-400 Dallas ---------------------------- 02/22/2011
    [03] N-400 Received -------------------------02/25/2011
    [06] PD ------------------------------------------ 02/28/2011
    [07] Check Cashed --------------------------03/01/2011
    [08] NOA: Email/SMS ------------------------03/02/2011
    [10] NOA Received by Mail -----------------03/04/2011
    [14] 'Touched' ---------------------------------03/08/2011
    [14] FP Notice Issued: Email/SMS ------ 03/08/2011
    [18] FP Received by Mail --------------------03/12/2011
    [30] FP Appointment-Done!----------------03/24/2011
    [59] YL--------------------------------------------04/22/2011
    [71] To Local Office Email/SMS ----------05/04/2011
    [74] IL-------------------------------------------- 05/07/2011
    [108]ID------------------------------------------- 06/10/2011 Passed!
    [157] OL Received by Mail ----------------- 07/29/2011
    [185] OD----------------------------------------- 08/26/2011 US Citizen

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am a dual US/Canadian Citizen by birth and parent circumstance (the US does recognize this). The last time I flew to Canada, the immigration officer there (US officer), told me to get my Canadian passport and when traveling into Canada, use that, and when traveling back to the US, use the US one. Hope that helps (or confirms what others have said)

Visa is in Sydney - 8July11
Police and fingerprint check we ordered 7/7/11
Background check returned 16/8/11
Packet 3 arrived in Sydney 17/8/11
INTERVIEW... praying big time.. 13/9/11
praying for POE around 27 Sep
Wedding- 11/11/11

-------
I-751 Remove Condition App 20 Nov 2013
Bio for I-751 26 Dec 2013
RFE for all bank statements since marriage - 4/18/14 - returned 4/19/14

(smacking head - sent everything but kitchen sink AND all those as

I --silly I know-- thought only needed a few over course of marriage- NOPE-

all needed)

still waiting on 10 yr Green Card Approval as of 18 May....

Filed: Other Timeline

I am a dual US/Canadian Citizen by birth and parent circumstance (the US does recognize this). The last time I flew to Canada, the immigration officer there (US officer), told me to get my Canadian passport and when traveling into Canada, use that, and when traveling back to the US, use the US one. Hope that helps (or confirms what others have said)

The Us does not recognize dual citizenship. Canada does.

What does that mean?

A person who has US and Canadian citizenship thus can exclusively use their US passport when traveling between the US and Canada. No Canadian passport needed. But they are not allowed to use their passport when entering or leaving the US. That is the difference, and it's a big one.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

To put it in another way, leaving the USA with a foreign passport gives you two obstacles, will either want to see your green card or to turn in your I-94 to make sure you didn't overstay your visit. Same with your reentry into the USA, would either want to see your green card, or depending on which country you are from, would also requires a US visa to enter, if you have that current visa, would be issue a I-94 and be told when to leave, can't work here if just a tourist, just spend your money.

In my girlfriends later to be my wife history, she got nice welcome with her US tourist visa, but was told when to leave. While the vast majority of illegals here, so I am told are from overstayed visas (like 50 years or so), they weren't cracking down on this back then, but they are now. Her worse returns was with her foreign passport and green card, screened for drugs. Her best returns, welcome back to the USA, etc., was with her US passport.

Used examples of coming back here with your green card and foreign passport, perhaps you may have noticed they took your green card away when you got your US certificate. Leaving only leaving and returning with that I-94 thing that you won't have because you didn't enter to get one with a US visa, but can return with one, but then given a I-94 where if you don't leave within that period, as short as a week, they will be chasing you down.

Besides as a US citizen, illegal to either leave or come back with anything else except a US passport.

Now entering and leaving your home country. There is over 200 different countries, can look up your country in the Department of State site to find their rules. For my wife in Colombia, since it says right in her US passport, she was born there, she needs a Colombian passport both to enter and to leave.

Now surely if you were an immigrant coming to and leaving this country or any other country. You already should know the rules of your country for leaving it, but you don't get very far when traveling, have to enter into a new country and follow their rules.

I don't believe you need a passport to go to the moon, but better return here. And better be government sponsored, or they will shoot you down.

Timeline

Thanks Just Bob, you're awesome and have helped sooooo many people on their immigration journeys. I enjoy reading your posts :-)

With very few exceptions, Canada being the only one I'm sure about, every country among the 251 we now have on this globe requires it citizens to identify themselves as such when on their soil. So even the United Kingdom, one of the most liberal countries and an open advocate of multiple citizenships, requires U.K. citizens to pull out their red passport when arriving and leaving.

The U.S., which does not recognize dual citizenship, requires the same under the thread of prosecution.

Thus, you need to leave the U.S. showing your U.S. passport. You will enter Kangarooland with your Aussie passport.

You will leave Aussieland showing your black passport again, and enter the U.S. with your blue one.

Outside your two countries of citizenship, you can choose what you want to be. For example, if I were to enter Iran (God forbid), I would do that with my German passport. If I were to travel to Israel, I'd choose to be an American.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.