ropicotrina

a CR1 married to an american when can I apply to the citizenship?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

hello everyone,I am 3 years married already and just 1 year living in USA. I will have to file my adjustment status application in april of 2012 for my CR1 residency. I am wondering when I would be able to file a citizenship application since I read before that I can file it once I have 2.9 month married or 2.9 months since I first came to USA. Please give me a hand if I should start my citizen process . Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to be a legal resident of the USA for 3 years before you can apply. The date you go by is on your green card.

You are NOT filing adjustment of status you are filing removal of conditions. Go look at the guides and read up on what you need to do.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

No, you cannot start citizenship. You need to have been a permanent resident "greencard holder" for 3 years if you are married to a USC to be eligible. Why are you not filing your Adjustment of Status application now. Do you mean you Removal of Conditions?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Has the rule changed! Are you removing the 2 years of conditional Green card stay and mentioning the 3 years of unconditional green card stay.

I could become a citizen only after 5 years of green card status, in 2007.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I read up on this on the USCIS website. 2 years to remove conditions. 3 years for citizenship if married to USC. 5 years for citizenship if got a green card some other way.

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

10/20/14...N-400 mailed to Phoenix
--/--/14.. N-400 packet received
--/--/14... Check cashed
--/--/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)
---/---/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --/--/14)
---/---/14... Early walk-in for Biometrics (Tampa FL)
---/---/14... In line for interview
---/---/14... Interview completed
---/---/14... Oath letter received
---/---/14... Oath Ceremony!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

well I made a mistake when I though was adjustment status, but the terminology is removal my condition of conditional resident, BUT i read since I am married to an american I can apply to the citizentship when I will be 3 years as a resident (2 of conditional and 1 of permanent )what I would like to know it is if I can start the citizenship process at the 2.9 since they always said you can start 3 months before, did anyone did it already?

Has the rule changed! Are you removing the 2 years of conditional Green card stay and mentioning the 3 years of unconditional green card stay.

I could become a citizen only after 5 years of green card status, in 2007.

Were you married to an american ?

You can file 90 days before you the date on which you will have been a permanent resident for 3 years. If you are applying to Remove conditions in April 2012, it sounds like you will file for Citizenship in April 2013, though I don't know the exact dates on your Greencard. Pay attention to the "resident since" spot.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.