Doanh M.

afer K1 visa is issued, how long till benefiary has until he/she has to travel to the US

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

regardless (EEK) please go by what's printed in the visa stamp.

If yer not certain, ask her to email you a scan of the visa stamp page.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

No it isn't. The norm now is that the visa is issued with a date that is 6 months from the date of the medical, so the medical is only good for 6 months. We just went through this 2 weeks ago and it has been the same for many members recently. If you wait for 7 months after the medical exam you will get a blue slip at best. What was valid when you got your visa approved isn't the same process now. :bonk:

I agree. I thought it's good for 1 yr too...My wife had about little over a month left when she got her visa..always check the expiration date on the visa.

My wife had a Medical in Saigon six months before when I applied for AOS here. When we went to the interview, USCIS said it was expired..she needs a full medical, not just the vaccination only on the I-693.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hey all,

Just want to ask you guys, afer K1 visa is issued, how long till beneficiary has until he/she has to travel to the US? 3 months? 6 months? I have also heard 4 months before. Does it varies between cases?

Thanks

Doanh

6 months but I would not wait until the last minute.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Aaah, now it makes sense. We were advised to wait until the last minute before the interview to do the medical, and now I understand why. It is based on the medical because the medical is only good for 6 months. If you do the medical 2 months before your interview, your entry will only be valid for 4 months. Does this track with other's experience?

It does depend on how much time you have left on your medical since it is only valid for 6 months. If your medical was done 2 days prior to your interview then you would have 6 months, if it was done 5 months prior then you would only have one month

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Aaah, now it makes sense. We were advised to wait until the last minute before the interview to do the medical, and now I understand why. It is based on the medical because the medical is only good for 6 months. If you do the medical 2 months before your interview, your entry will only be valid for 4 months. Does this track with other's experience?

if you got the medical 2 months prior it doesnt mean that the visa will only be good for 4 months.. but there is the chance... its all on a case by case basis...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

if you got the medical 2 months prior it doesnt mean that the visa will only be good for 4 months.. but there is the chance... its all on a case by case basis...

We just turned the passport in, they told us the medical expires Sept so the VISA will only be valid until the medical expires, they gave us the option of doing another medical if we wanted longer validity.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wait, I thought you had to have the paperwork stating when the interview would be in order to get the medical done in Vietnam? So, you can get the medical done earlier without the interview appointment paper?

My guess is it might be a little different in Russia. But in Vietnam, you must have the appointment letter in order to have the Medical.

Filed: Timeline

My guess is it might be a little different in Russia. But in Vietnam, you must have the appointment letter in order to have the Medical.

thanks, that's what i thought. i was hoping to get it done earlier, since some have reported less than 3 weeks between notification of interview and interview date, and that was by calling DOS, but if it's not possible, then just have to try to rush and get things done in that short time frame.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It is based on your medical and how long before your medical becomes expired. There is no case by case basis when it comes to landing in america you must have a valid medical to arrive on US soil period. The visa expiry might not be to the day that your medical expires but it will be close enough that you will land in the United States while your medical is still valid, you might have 5 months on your medical and only get 4 months before your visa expires but you will never have 5 months on your medical and get 6 months or 8 or 10 months before your visa will expire, things can change in a person's medical that would effect a person from coming to the United States, pregnancy, TB just to name a few.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.