peejay

White House revives push for Dream Act

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

White House revives push for Dream Act

Duncan touts immigration-reform bill as ICE relaxes deportation protocols

Administration officials are beginning to ratchet up the pressure on Congress to pass controversial immigration-reform measures, but critics fear the changes are already being made without lawmakers’ consent.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan told reporters on Monday the nation “desperately” needs to enact the Dream Act, which would prevent the deportation of illegal immigrants who are studying at American colleges and universities or have served at least two years in the military.

The legislation, which was drafted a decade ago, has faced strong opposition in Congress each time it’s been reintroduced and stands little chance of passing this time around, especially with Republicans in control of the House.

But the administration has bypassed Congress and begun to relax its deportation protocol. In a June 17 memo, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John Morton said agents should exercise “discretion” when deciding who can stay and who must go.

Special consideration should be given to military veterans, those who have graduated high school or are pursuing college degrees, the elderly, minors, pregnant women and those with serious health conditions, he said. An immigrant’s “ties and contributions to the community” and his “ties to the home country and the conditions in the country” should also be weighed, according to the memo.

Mr. Duncan said the administration’s top priority, when determining whom to deport, is “criminal behavior.” He said ICE officials are “less interested” in students and other law-abiding residents.

Mr. Morton’s memo instructs agents to consider a person’s criminal history, as well as whether he is a national security threat or public safety concern, before making a decision on deportation.

The change has drawn fire from Republicans, and Rep. Lamar Smith, Texas Republican, plans to introduce legislation blocking selective deportations by ICE.

While that fight plays out, the administration is now trying sell the Dream Act by pointing out its economic benefits.

Mr. Duncan said the law would reduce the deficit by $1.4 billion over the next decade by allowing more illegal immigrants to stay in the country and pay taxes. He also said that continuing to deport talented people just because they’re here illegally “doesn’t make any sense.”

“We want to continue to raise awareness. We want to push [the Dream Act] very, very hard this year,” he said on a conference call, joined by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, a former White House chief of staff, and Margaret Stock, a former West Point professor.

The administration is also taking advantage of the media frenzy surrounding the revelation that Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas isn’t a U.S. citizen. Mr. Vargas revealed his secret in a piece for the New York Times Magazine.

“I wonder how many other potential Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists are out there who have never had the opportunity” to win the award because they’re in the country illegally, Mr. Duncan said.

But tax revenue and Pulitzer Prizes aren’t the only reasons to pass the Dream Act, the administration argued. Ms. Stock cited the “national security” threat caused by current immigration policy, specifically the looming “problem with military recruiting,” which could be partially solved, she said, by allowing illegal immigrants to serve.

The administration’s push will continue Tuesday when Mr. Duncan and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/27/white-house-revives-push-for-dream-act/

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

We could see this one coming. If anything is going to be Obama's down fall, it's this Dream Act he keeps pushing.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Obama's downfall is going to be the lazy, apathetic people who put him into power staying home this time around. "Oh he gon' win again. I aint event gotsta vote no mo cause he gon' win again."

That and all the hipsters who thought it was cool to vote for "hopey changey" have now had time to get their thinking caps on and realize that hopey changey wasn't a course of action. It was hype. They'll vote for someone with real ideas about ACTION and not mere words.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I don't think the White House plans, or has ever planned, to get the DREAM Act passed. I think they'll just use it as a tool to bash Republicans as racist when it inevitably fails again.

Edited by B_J

Obama's downfall is going to be the lazy, apathetic people who put him into power staying home this time around. "Oh he gon' win again. I aint event gotsta vote no mo cause he gon' win again."

That and all the hipsters who thought it was cool to vote for "hopey changey" have now had time to get their thinking caps on and realize that hopey changey wasn't a course of action. It was hype. They'll vote for someone with real ideas about ACTION and not mere words.

It wasn't like we had anyone else to vote for. McCain was a sure loser with Palin as his running mate, Hillary ...well enough said there...so we were left with...nothing really other than Obama. I have to admit he sounded like the next coming of JKF...he had me going. :(

I don't think the White House plans, or has ever planned, to get the DREAM Act passed. I think they'll just use it as a tool to bash Republicans as racist when it inevitably fails again.

I hope your right. If this ever does pass it's going to cause a split that this country hasn't seen since the Civil War.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It wasn't like we had anyone else to vote for. McCain was a sure loser with Palin as his running mate, Hillary ...well enough said there...so we were left with...nothing really other than Obama. I have to admit he sounded like the next coming of JKF...he had me going. :(

I hope your right. If this ever does pass it's going to cause a split that this country hasn't seen since the Civil War.

Hell, the best we could hope for is a civil war these days...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd much rather prefer a peaceful devolution of powers to the states. Wars are messy and bad for business.

telling the Federal Government today to give up power is like demanding it be given back to the people from Hitler or Stalin.

It's just not going to happen.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline
If anything is going to be Obama's down fall, it's this Dream Act he keeps pushing.

How so? Overall, there's a majority (54% - 42%) of voters in favor. Democrats are in favor 66% - 31%, Independents are in favor 57% - 38% and Republicans - while opposing this 63% - 34% - would never vote for this President anyways. The way the polls read, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain from a vote point of view in supporting this measure. They know how to read polls. They do that for a living. ;)

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Other Timeline

As an independent voter who is for universal health care and for higher taxes for the rich and the super rich, yet against gay marriage and against the DREAM Act as it is written now, I have to choose between Mr. Bad and Mr. or Mrs. Horrible when going to the polls come November 2012.

Thus, even if it makes my heart and my nose bleed and would cause two causes I am strongly against to become law, I probably will have to vote for Mr. Bad in order to avoid a catastrophe from happening, as far as I have a say in it. Voting is always a package deal, unfortunately, just like marriage or sex. So if I bang that hot chick, I have to accept that she sometimes puts her teeth into my flesh to a degree that it hurts . . . or bleeds.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

If the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act included a clause to prevent the one's who truely broke that law from establishing residency, I'd support it. As it stands they could gain a narrow path to residency. Probably the best way would be to criminalize crossing the border with minors in your possession. Then use that crime to make them forever inadmissible.

I suppose it sounds terrible to some, something like "turn mummy and daddy in and you'll get a greencard" so to speak.