B_J

cultural differences vs. stereotyping

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I told one female friend that I was dating a woman from the Philippines and the first thing she said was, "Oh, you want a submissive woman", and this personal prides themselves on being a "bleeding heart liberal".

Thanks,

Lyn and Art

K1 VISA
Feb 17 2009 - Met Online
Apr 19 2009 - 1st Visit to the Philippines
Nov 03 2009 - 2nd Visit to the Philippines
Nov 04 2009 - Engaged
Apr 20 1010 - 3rd Visit to the Philippines
Nov 19 2010 - I-129F Mailed to Texas Lock Box
Nov 22 2010 - Received Date
Nov 29 2010 - NOA1
May 12 2011 - NOA2 Email and Text that we are approved (165-days)! Oh Thank God!
May 16 2011 - NOA2 Hard copy Received

Jul 07 2011 - Lyn and the girls pass their medicals - Thank God!
Jul 22 2011 - Interview - APPROVED
Aug 01 2011 - Picked up visas from 2GO
Aug 03 2011 - CFO Seminar
Aug 13 2011 - POE Detroit
Sep 23 2011 - Married

AOS

May 1 2012 - Mailed I-485 for Marilyn and the Girls
May 16 2012 - NOA-1 Text and Email Received
Jun 23 2012 - REF - Need tax returns for K2s
Jan 31 2013 - GC's For Lyn and Gwen. Got a REF for Uriel's Medical
Mar 21 2013 - Got CG for Uriel. We are done for 2 years

ROC

Dec 27 2014 Mailed I-751

Jan 05 2015 NOA-1 Received

Sept 24 2015 REF - Need more info to establish residency and shared financials

Dec 05 2015 Mail Response to Ref

Jan 25 2016 Received approved NOA-1

Feb 1 2016 10 year GC's received for Lyn and the girls - on to citizenship

Timeline

I told one female friend that I was dating a woman from the Philippines and the first thing she said was, "Oh, you want a submissive woman", and this personal prides themselves on being a "bleeding heart liberal".

I've heard that a lot and have responded in many ways, usually resulting in that statement never being made to me ever again from that person or anyone within earshot. One way I respond is to ask the ignorant party "Have you ever even met, or better yet, gotten to know any Asian woman, let alone a Filipina? One of my milder responses yet delivered in condescending tone. Another is.."What makes you think she's submissive?", or "Define submissive for me", and the best show stopper is..."Would you like to meet her and tell her that?!?". I had a million. I've had a lot of practice (cuz of my ex whose also Filipina) and have been using them again lately now that its getting closer to my fiancee getting here!

And if I'm tired or already in a not so good mood where I have less buffer.....well, you can imagine what my responses to that are probably like. Not pleasant at all!!

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

All I can see is the loss of culture in America. In most other cultures, there are "gender" defined roles. Many times, we do not mean to stereotype, but sometimes it cannot be helped. Everyone has a prejudice no matter how hard you try not to. the key is to know it. How many of us, would have said the same things before as a teen? I am not saying I am justifying things. But I am saying it is a matter of perspective. Only you can tell by how the person says things, as to how they mean them.

To one person, my filipina, she may be an object.

To another, he may be saying she is not part of the generalization of the culture.

And to another, it may be his term of endearment for her, recognizing her culture and heritage.

to another he may just be extremely proud to have a filipina wife.

to another, he may be hoping to learn or educate others to stop the spread of "bad ideas".

It all depends on point of view. And the ONLY way to get that point of view is through conversations. Once you know the person or see the words in context, you know the statements intended purpose.

For me, sometimes I mean it as praise, or compliment. However, sometimes what I say, does not always come out as I intended. And when someone says to me "you wanted a submissive wife." My response is,"Yes, and she wanted a real knight in shining armor." the look is priceless if they get it.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

I think the gender defined roles in the Philippines are more complex than we make them out to be. While we may see the "traditional" roles of man and woman; there's also the fact that there have been women Presidents. That doesn't fit the traditional gender defined role.

I'm also bothered by the "submissive" label. I think people confuse quiet with being submissive. I think there is something called quiet strength that many people are not aware of.

On a side note, I was at a wedding this weekend and I was sitting next to a person who started talking about retirement. And I mentioned that I planned to retire in the Philippines. And he went off on a tirade about Philippine women. My brother just watched me the whole time to see how I would respond. I just rolled my eyes and let it go.

I refer to my wife as "my wife". She's her own person with a rich and colorful heritage. As for stereotyping, my wife is old school with splashes of modern thrown in the mix. She believes in a strong family bond, God, and that each partner has a say in things and respects what the other feels. Not always agrees, but acknowledges and respects the others' opinion. She's my one of a kind.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Timeline

as for this statement: "I love my Filipina. My Filipina is so reliable and dependable. I haven't had to spend much money on my Filipina either. I'm really happy that I found this Filipina."

I see the person having gone through some very very very bad relationships before finding the current wife. Or he has heard some horror stories from others. Just the statement alone seems fine to me. But then again, there is not context before of after to give me an idea of what is meant. what if he called her "his little girl" or his "dream" or his "little one" or his "candy" or "monaquita"? To me he is saying, "out of all the girls, I have found a girl I treasure. Because she is wonderful to me. my girl does not seem to fit what everyone else is saying about girls from her culture." It could also be "I love my girl, She is very faithful. She is not a money grubber or a sugar baby. I am extremely happy to have found her." Some people only know how to express in terms they know. and in American culture, many times men compare girls to cars. It not meant to be demeaning, but it comes off as so impersonal unless you understand how important a car is to a guy in America. (the car and type of car is a status symbol in the US. to me this guy is EXTREMELY PROUD of her MODEL type. He thinks he has a Rolls Royce or a BMW with the cost of a mustang or a corolla.)

yes it could be about a car, a dining table, a house, a stove, a microwave, a suit, but he has made it personal through spanish. My filipina --> My Philippine girl. He is letting people know who she is in heritage, Her MODEL type, then saying not all of those stories are true. He is saying: I LOVE MINE!!! I HAVE A GOOD ONE!!!!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Wow I don't get those questions here. We just blend in me and my wife. Most people here know of the Philippines, and the food esp. Also the least submissive women I know are the Asians and Filipinas here.

as for this statement: "I love my Filipina. My Filipina is so reliable and dependable. I haven't had to spend much money on my Filipina either. I'm really happy that I found this Filipina."

I see the person having gone through some very very very bad relationships before finding the current wife. Or he has heard some horror stories from others. Just the statement alone seems fine to me.

Really? Statements like that are, to me, like nails on a chalkboard.

I'm also bothered when I read that "Filipinas are faithful and loyal". To me, that's a description for a dog. Some people are faithful, others are not; and it's wrong to describe an entire population like that.

However, I think an important thing is knowing the person making the statements. If you know the type of person they are, it's easier to understand how their statements are meant.

You've made posts that normally would bother me but, since I've read so many of you posts, (and they're usually quite lengthy :lol: ) I tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and understand that you're being complimentary. :thumbs:

Timeline

In my experience, those who have said to me - "Oh you wanted a submissive wife" or the like, have always been women. I'd be willing to bet that most anyone else who has had this said to them,that it has also come from women. I can't see a guy saying to another guy - "Oh you must have wanted a submissive woman". Not saying its never happened, but not to me. Especially here in America and especially a particular type of woman towards a particular type of man. And NO I will not expand on that and create a whole other thread. But those who know, know what I'm talking about. But in general some American or western women, when making the statemen "Oh you wanted a submissive woman" are trying to say the man can't handle the independant and rather aggressive natured American woman (them - or so they think) and they are expressing resentment at the man's choice, of course without even knowing the first thing usually about the man or his choice!. I'm trying not to stereotype here cuz I know many, many, many women who have never presented that statement to me. Don't know exactly how they really feel, but either way they did not express to me.

Its an irresponsible statement.

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

my problem is condensing...

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a while.

When discussing people, in this case Filipinas, at what point does discussing cultural difference cross over to become stereotyping? And when I use the word stereotyping, I really mean when it becomes sort of offensive.

IMO, when the speaker is a bigot, the words outta da mouth are stereotyping.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think so too ! speaker's label is always important, IMO.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

the problem is when it becomes prejudice... when the person has already prejudged a person on culture by what they have heard versus learning the culture. Stereotypes are a generalization of how a culture is. The problem is when people use those generalizations to characterize a person plus the person's values versus knowing the person.

Please do not take offense to this, it is my own opinion: For me, I see Filipinas and Asian women portrayed as submissive for one major reason, Asian women know martial arts. Anyone ever heard of the "praying mantis" art form? Which would you prefer to be known for, submissive wife, or "praying mantis"?

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the gender defined roles in the Philippines are more complex than we make them out to be. While we may see the "traditional" roles of man and woman; there's also the fact that there have been women Presidents. That doesn't fit the traditional gender defined role.

I'm also bothered by the "submissive" label. I think people confuse quiet with being submissive. I think there is something called quiet strength that many people are not aware of.

On a side note, I was at a wedding this weekend and I was sitting next to a person who started talking about retirement. And I mentioned that I planned to retire in the Philippines. And he went off on a tirade about Philippine women. My brother just watched me the whole time to see how I would respond. I just rolled my eyes and let it go.

This post Indicates 2 key things. Not going :ot: but., OK. Submissive, I'm not looking for that. If I do something wrong Mav would be all over my A__ !

What is also here is the Word "Predudice". I can personally tell you I abandoned friends I knew for even over 30 years for personal comments they made in and I showed them the Front Door. Even my own Family denied this was happening. When my Dad learned I was Overseas and Engaged he stated "Thats Ridiculous". THANKS DAD. He has apologized for that statement.

Other Family members have made Jokes. I never found them Funny and they seen my Calm Face and pretty much don't care what they or anyonelse thinks. I think we have enough stress doing this process.

Your have to NOT worry about whatever people think whether Steriotype/Predudice. In the End. It is you and her/him.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.