~PalmTreeGurl~

Online College?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Adam is thinking about University of Phoenix to study Computer Networking online. Has anyone on here studied from UoP and how was it? Any pros or cons from it? Or any other advice? Or what about any other colleges online?

He prefers to study from home since we live too far to drive out daily/weekly to a college and he likes studying online. He's got to get his highschool diploma from Egypt which his mom is working on that for him this week.

Also, he is about to finish the paperwork for the N400 and send that in for Citizenship... does it make a difference that he is in the process of Citizenship/name change if he starts college shortly?

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Not sure about University of Phoenix but my husband is in the process of getting his MBA from Strayer University which is also online.

The main reason he chose it is because of his work hours and he can do everything he wants online. There is a campus near our house and he has done some of his courses in-class but he prefers the internet based classes. For him I think the cons are that he really has to be on top of things because its so easy for him to forget about assignments and things like that (that's just him though).

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Not sure about University of Phoenix but my husband is in the process of getting his MBA from Strayer University which is also online.

The main reason he chose it is because of his work hours and he can do everything he wants online. There is a campus near our house and he has done some of his courses in-class but he prefers the internet based classes. For him I think the cons are that he really has to be on top of things because its so easy for him to forget about assignments and things like that (that's just him though).

Thanks for the reply! Yah his work hours is part of the reason is wants to find something online, Im just not sure UoP is the right one for him. He is looking at what has Computer Networking or something very similar to it online and something affordable and possibly transferrable.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Adam is thinking about University of Phoenix to study Computer Networking online. Has anyone on here studied from UoP and how was it? Any pros or cons from it? Or any other advice? Or what about any other colleges online?

He prefers to study from home since we live too far to drive out daily/weekly to a college and he likes studying online. He's got to get his highschool diploma from Egypt which his mom is working on that for him this week.

Also, he is about to finish the paperwork for the N400 and send that in for Citizenship... does it make a difference that he is in the process of Citizenship/name change if he starts college shortly?

I don't know if LPRs are eligible for FAFSA, but citizens certainly are... that might be a factor to consider regarding the N400 ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would look into a state school that has online degrees. There has been a lot in the news lately about for-profit colleges (of which U of P is one), e.g.:

http://www.loansafe.org/for-profit-colleges-deepening-student-debt-crisis

Also, I know LPR’s can get student loans using the FAFSA, but I’m not sure about scholarships.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't know if LPRs are eligible for FAFSA, but citizens certainly are... that might be a factor to consider regarding the N400 ;)

They are.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

College is certainly a fantastic choice. I would stay away from for-profit universities, especially when they're not entirely accredited. Check accreditation and then their profit status. State universities, non-for-profits are the best choices. Iknow of many many many people that have an UOP degree and they're serving coffee at Starbucks because some employers do not count that as a legit degree. Selfish, I know.

Good luck and absolutely a degree is the best idea!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

I would look into a state school that has online degrees. There has been a lot in the news lately about for-profit colleges (of which U of P is one), e.g.:

http://www.loansafe....ent-debt-crisis

Also, I know LPR's can get student loans using the FAFSA, but I'm not sure about scholarships.

Good luck!

good.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

be really careful and make sure they are accredited..even some of those can come back and bite you.

i attended westwood college on line for a while it ate up a good chunk of my student loans and has taken me a long time to get to the point that i can go forward again with my education......good luck just make sure that you check them against other colleges that offer the same degree and the length of time it will take to achieve it

sara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I did my masters in IT online long after finishing a double BS in electrical and computer engineering. Time was a big factor I was working full time , doing a masteres in 12 months , being single mother to 3 kids , helping my daughter with 2 disabled kids and competing in olympic style archery at that point in time. I didn't have time to commute to a school ( or sleep much ) You will find online is a very expensive option if your work isn't footing the bill and make sure they are accredited. ( The accedited thing applies to ANY school ) If they aren't you may as well spend your money on a truck load of toilet paper.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Ask Jeanne...I think Wael just graduated from there.

(hey ZeeBee ! good to see you)

Jackie (F)

Hey Jackie! No, Wael graduated from the University of Arizona, and is now attending Eller College of Management ,

University of Arizona. He will be completing his first year MBA in Finance with doing the accelerated courses. He does

attend the University and has no online classes. That was his preference when he chose to do the accelerated program.

Yes, LPR can receive student loans and private scholarships, however, they don't qualify for federal grants.

be really careful and make sure they are accredited..even some of those can come back and bite you.

i attended westwood college on line for a while it ate up a good chunk of my student loans and has taken me a long time to get to the point that i can go forward again with my education......good luck just make sure that you check them against other colleges that offer the same degree and the length of time it will take to achieve it

sara

Wise words!!! Be very careful!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.