NeedInfo3839

Child Custody In Egypt (Slightly Off Topic)

117 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm not a mom (yet) and I have no experience with custody issues, but one thing I know is that you should not put yourself in the middle of all this. If your SO wants to pursue this let him figure it out.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

just chiming in, i normally stay out of these discussions and stick to my own business but you asked the question so i guess i can come on here and agree with half the posters who were direct enough to tell you how unimaginable it is that you and your fiance would even consider doing that to the child or it's mother. Second i will make a new point, a GOOD MAN, would never consider such a thing and especially an egyptian one because from all i have seen egyptians truly know the value of family and mother's here are queens. If your fiance wants to be with you, then that is his choice and if he wants to go to usa then he wants to leave his kids because he will never in an egyptian court get that child away from his mother, raised by another woman in another country :bonk:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Like others have said, you're jumping the gun on this one big time. You haven't even met your "fiance" yet so I'm not sure how the thought of child custody can even enter your mind. You don't even know if you'll actually like your "fiance" once you meet him in person. I wouldn't worry about his kids or his ex right now. I would focus on whether or not you both even have chemistry beyond online chats. I know you *think* you're madly in love and things are going to be amazing but you have no idea. There are so many things to consider other than the feelings of love and lust which is really all you have right now.

About child custody, most of us are not Egyptians but your "fiance" is. He can more easily research child custody laws than we can. What you'll get here is mostly hearsay and opinions not facts. I'm assuming you don't have children because if you did you would NEVER consider taking a child away from his mother esp to move the child to a foreign country. I'm sorry to say this but the situation with your "fiance" does not sound good. Too much potential drama and too many babies and baby mamas.

I have to say, I like you quote/ unquote the word "fiancee." The sarcasm is palpable. I too, find this relationship unbelievable.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Being born and raised in Egypt, I can say that your 'fiance's' chances of obtaining custody of his child are almost non-existent.... Especially since his ex has been the full-time parent, and clearly has been playing the role of both parents while your 'fiance' works in Saudi Arabia... I don't understand why would any judge grant him full custody, unless the mother is willing to sign off her parental rights...which I doubt very much..

Egyptian/Middle Eastern mothers are ones of the most protective mothers, you'd ever meet.. The concept of 'letting go' of their children is not even in the culture.. Heck, they even have a hard time letting go of the idea that their children are not children anymore even after they get married and have families of their own...

If he cares about having both children in his life...why didn't he do that before moving to another country and before meeting you?

I don't doubt that you mean well...but there's a difference between supporting your 'fiance'/spouse, and wrecking other people's lives to make yours better...

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ahhhhh that's what I so love about us MENA peeps...we aren't afraid to give you our opinion!!! Also, interesting to see we all agree. This poor girl has some tough lessons to learn before this experience is over. We all know that and she will too soon enough.

Betsy El Sum

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ahhhhh that's what I so love about us MENA peeps...we aren't afraid to give you our opinion!!! Also, interesting to see we all agree. This poor girl has some tough lessons to learn before this experience is over. We all know that and she will too soon enough.

Betsy I concur with you whole heartedly on this topic, it is weird because we have never really agreed on past topics, though I believe we have respected each other's opinions. But in this topic what is wrong is wrong and this is blatantly WRONG on every level I can think of. This is why every one of us agree... this time around... really I am in shock the OP would even agree to something of this nature. Even if it is true that the only motives are to keep the children together, it is still just wrong. Why didn't the "fiance" consider this before moving to another country? His overwhelming desire to keep the kids together and all pffft. Whatever. If this is truly a concern then I think it is time to forgo the thought of him immigrating to the States and for him to quit his job and go back to Egypt and for the OP to pack her bags and bid adieu to the States and move to Egypt. To me though it isn't so much about keeping the kids together as it is about sticking it to the mom of this child.

This topic is just WRONG. mad.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Betsy I concur with you whole heartedly on this topic, it is weird because we have never really agreed on past topics, though I believe we have respected each other's opinions. But in this topic what is wrong is wrong and this is blatantly WRONG on every level I can think of. This is why every one of us agree... this time around... really I am in shock the OP would even agree to something of this nature. Even if it is true that the only motives are to keep the children together, it is still just wrong. Why didn't the "fiance" consider this before moving to another country? His overwhelming desire to keep the kids together and all pffft. Whatever. If this is truly a concern then I think it is time to forgo the thought of him immigrating to the States and for him to quit his job and go back to Egypt and for the OP to pack her bags and bid adieu to the States and move to Egypt. To me though it isn't so much about keeping the kids together as it is about sticking it to the mom of this child.

....or is it about giving his kids the big GC? The more I read about this "relationship," the more it smells like this lady is being fooled. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I am so outraged over this topic!

Full diclosure: I met my fiancee on an Amnesty International panel for women's rights. HE is egyptian; I'm a full blown Puerto Rican. We're both activists, politicians and we CHOSE to dedicate our lives and careers for social justice and civil rights. Needless to say, I'd be the first one, I admit it, to halt rapture proceedings like this one. My boyfriend and I have taken a lot of heat for speaking our minds and wearing our hearts on a sleeve. But we fight for what's right and this ####### is so wrong in so many levels... *gasps*........... I have a headache.

Unfortunately, there are so many people in this world that have a sense of entitlement beyond being selfish. This is CLEARLY one of those. There, I said it!

I am working in a Demand Dignity campaign with several international organizations and labor unions. One of elements of the campaign is, of course, women's rights. If any of you want to get involved in any way, feel free to send me a private note. I'm sick and tired of bullcrap like this....

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

....or is it about giving his kids the big GC? The more I read about this "relationship," the more it smells like this lady is being fooled. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I am so outraged over this topic!

Full diclosure: I met my fiancee on an Amnesty International panel for women's rights. HE is egyptian; I'm a full blown Puerto Rican. We're both activists, politicians and we CHOSE to dedicate our lives and careers for social justice and civil rights. Needless to say, I'd be the first one, I admit it, to halt rapture proceedings like this one. My boyfriend and I have taken a lot of heat for speaking our minds and wearing our hearts on a sleeve. But we fight for what's right and this ####### is so wrong in so many levels... *gasps*........... I have a headache.

Unfortunately, there are so many people in this world that have a sense of entitlement beyond being selfish. This is CLEARLY one of those. There, I said it!

I am working in a Demand Dignity campaign with several international organizations and labor unions. One of elements of the campaign is, of course, women's rights. If any of you want to get involved in any way, feel free to send me a private note. I'm sick and tired of bullcrap like this....

:blink: :blink: :blink:

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

Is anyone familiar with child custody laws in Egypt?

Khalid (my man) really wants custody of his younger son, Youssef. He has custody of his older son (Adam), but that's because Adam's mother died years ago. But he really wants his 2 boys to grow up together.

Right now, little Youssef's mother has custody. When they were married, Khalid owned 2 apartments. His Ex got one of them, and lives in it now. Plus she works. So she is established and all. Khalid pays support for the child. I've been hearing that the Egyptian courts tend to favor the mother.

He plans to live with me, and we can raise Adam. But he doesn't want to be a stranger to his younger son, or for the kids to be apart until Youssef is 12 (standard age when the father can usually take the child).

But even still-- does he have any hope for custody at all? I mean is it possible? Any Egyptians here know about this?

wtf_Im_out.gif

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

wtf_Im_out.gif

Hi Nagi, long time no see post!!!!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

Hi Nagi, long time no see post!!!!

:ot:

:luv: :luv: :luv:Howdy, T ! :luv: :luv: :luv:

:ot2:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Khalid (my man) really wants custody of his younger son, Youssef. He has custody of his older son (Adam), but that's because Adam's mother died years ago. But he really wants his 2 boys to grow up together.

Right now, little Youssef's mother has custody. When they were married, Khalid owned 2 apartments. His Ex got one of them, and lives in it now. Plus she works. So she is established and all. Khalid pays support for the child. I've been hearing that the Egyptian courts tend to favor the mother.

He plans to live with me, and we can raise Adam. But he doesn't want to be a stranger to his younger son, or for the kids to be apart until Youssef is 12 (standard age when the father can usually take the child).

But even still-- does he have any hope for custody at all? I mean is it possible? Any Egyptians here know about this?

Why would you even support someone going after custody of his younger boy when he has a solid home and this husband is overseas working in Saudi anyway and hasnt been a part of this childs daily life? He has his older boy. Leave this poor woman alone and let her raise her younger child...

agreed

Obviously, this girl is not a mother. If she was, she would never even suggest such a thing. As someone said earlier, be careful cause one day you might be the ex and he might be scheming of ways to take your baby from you.

agreed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The answer is simply no, he doesn't have no hope in taking custody, and if he wants to pursue that, it will be a long process that will take years and years, and in the end it will be in the favor of the mother, since she has a job and can provide for her child, unless she remarries then maybe he will have a chance, Good Luck to both of you.

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.