Simon and Janet

RFE - They want what i already sent!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I was asked for my 2009 and 2010 tax returns by USCIS in an RFE. Checked their website and they were reviewing the documents after i sent them in. About 2 days later they stated that they are issuing an RFE. Today i get a letter in the mail and it's for the same thing! I printed out my transcripts and sent them once already. I don't understand what they want!

TIMELINE:

December, 2008 - Started talking on plentyoffish.com

March 25, 2009 - Left Australia to to meet her

March 28, 2009 - Finally met in person!!

April 30, 2009 - Engaged

May 4, 2009 - Returned to Australia

June 26, 2009 - Filed I-129F

July 6, 2009 - NOA1 Received

July 25 - August 12, 2009 - Janet visited Simon is Australia for 2 and a half magical weeks. Met the family and is loved by all of them! :)

September 18, 2009 - NOA2!!!!!

September 28, 2009 - NVC Received

October 1, 2009 - NVC Sent

October 7, 2009 - Consulate Received

October 14, 2009 - Medical

October 17, 2009 - December 8 - Simon visiting Janet in the U.S

December 11, 2009 - Packet 3 sent

December 18, 2009 - Packet 4 received

January 12, 2010 - Interview date

January 14 2010 - Visa Received

January 23 2010 - US Entry

February 7 2010 - Marriage

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was asked for my 2009 and 2010 tax returns by USCIS in an RFE. Checked their website and they were reviewing the documents after i sent them in. About 2 days later they stated that they are issuing an RFE. Today i get a letter in the mail and it's for the same thing! I printed out my transcripts and sent them once already. I don't understand what they want!

How did you print your own transcripts? A tax return transcript comes from the IRS.

What exactly did you send? The two things that are generally considered acceptable are either a complete copy of the tax return, or an IRS transcript of the tax return. A complete copy includes every form and supporting document that was sent to the IRS when the return was filed, or if you eFiled then every form and supporting document that would have been sent to the IRS had you filed a paper return. As I mentioned above, IRS transcripts come from the IRS. You have to order them and they will send them to you by mail. You can also request that they be faxed to you.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Remember that they must be tax return transcripts and NOT tax account transcripts.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does this mean copies of the IRS transcripts aren't acceptable? I sent in copies (scanned and printed) of my IRS tax transcripts for both the I-134 at the consulate interview and the I-864 sent with AOS. I have yet to see an RFE for AOS (after 3 months) and had no issues with submitting copies at the visa interview. I just re-read the instructions and they say:

"You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy

from your own records of your Federal individual income tax

return for the most recent tax year..."

and

"You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or

photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a

Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is

acceptable."

Now, I'm wondering if they'll want to see the originals of mine as well...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Remember that they must be tax return transcripts and NOT tax account transcripts.

Why do you think this? We submitted IRS account transcripts with no issue.

We also received an RFE for 2010 tax returns. It appeared to me that the RFE required that I send in a new I-864 to reflect the numbers that changed due to inclusion of the 2010 tax return. If you didn't submit a new I-864, this might be what they are looking for.

Edited by Robert de Bonda

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why do you think this? We submitted IRS account transcripts with no issue.

A tax account transcript doesn't show all of the information that a tax return shows. It only shows basic information, like filing status, AGI, and taxable income. It's meant to show the financial status of your tax account - how much was paid, how much is owed, what penalties were applied, etc. A tax return transcript is a line-by-line listing of the information that was submitted on your tax return.

The I-864 instructions are reasonably (though not absolutely) clear.

You must provide either an
IRS transcript
or a photocopy from your own records
of your Federal individual income tax return
for the most recent tax year.

A tax account transcript looks like this:

CabiracTranscript.jpg

Since a tax account transcript doesn't show "total income", where would they get this information?

For purposes of this affidavit, the
line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A
will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ, the line for adjusted gross income will be considered.

A tax return transcript is multiple pages, starting with a page that looks something like this:

tax_return_transcript_page_1.jpg

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We'd sent out copies of my wife's tax details she had on hand. This time we're ordered them from the IRS.

We also received an RFE for 2010 tax returns. It appeared to me that the RFE required that I send in a new I-864 to reflect the numbers that changed due to inclusion of the 2010 tax return. If you didn't submit a new I-864, this might be what they are looking for.

The RFE we got says to include the tax transcripts in conjunction with the I-864 they have on file. So if they wanted a whole new I-864 i'm sure they'd have stated so, but then again....who knows!

TIMELINE:

December, 2008 - Started talking on plentyoffish.com

March 25, 2009 - Left Australia to to meet her

March 28, 2009 - Finally met in person!!

April 30, 2009 - Engaged

May 4, 2009 - Returned to Australia

June 26, 2009 - Filed I-129F

July 6, 2009 - NOA1 Received

July 25 - August 12, 2009 - Janet visited Simon is Australia for 2 and a half magical weeks. Met the family and is loved by all of them! :)

September 18, 2009 - NOA2!!!!!

September 28, 2009 - NVC Received

October 1, 2009 - NVC Sent

October 7, 2009 - Consulate Received

October 14, 2009 - Medical

October 17, 2009 - December 8 - Simon visiting Janet in the U.S

December 11, 2009 - Packet 3 sent

December 18, 2009 - Packet 4 received

January 12, 2010 - Interview date

January 14 2010 - Visa Received

January 23 2010 - US Entry

February 7 2010 - Marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We'd sent out copies of my wife's tax details she had on hand. This time we're ordered them from the IRS.

The RFE we got says to include the tax transcripts in conjunction with the I-864 they have on file. So if they wanted a whole new I-864 i'm sure they'd have stated so, but then again....who knows!

We got RFE too and we sent in 1040 copy and thats all they wanted

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline
A tax account transcript doesn't show all of the information that a tax return shows. It only shows basic information, like filing status, AGI, and taxable income. It's meant to show the financial status of your tax account - how much was paid, how much is owed, what penalties were applied, etc. A tax return transcript is a line-by-line listing of the information that was submitted on your tax return.

The I-864 instructions are reasonably (though not absolutely) clear.

You must provide either an
IRS transcript
or a photocopy from your own records
of your Federal individual income tax return
for the most recent tax year.

A tax account transcript looks like this:

<image snip>

Since a tax account transcript doesn't show "total income", where would they get this information?

For purposes of this affidavit, the
line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A
will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ, the line for adjusted gross income will be considered.

A tax return transcript is multiple pages, starting with a page that looks something like this:

<image snip>

From here: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

I understand what you're trying to say but the simple fact is Tony and I only submitted the IRS account transcripts. We submitted NO pay stubs, NO employer letter. If there was a problem with account transcripts the I-864 instructions would specify "tax return transcript" and not just "tax transcript" and they wouldn't have accepted what we submitted.

Timeline
From here: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

I understand what you're trying to say but the simple fact is Tony and I only submitted the IRS account transcripts. We submitted NO pay stubs, NO employer letter. If there was a problem with account transcripts the I-864 instructions would specify "tax return transcript" and not just "tax transcript" and they wouldn't have accepted what we submitted.

just a further note: we were approved without interview, without RFE and in just under 3 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.