Sofiane

Im Confused, should I use form I-130 or I-129f

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everybody,

First of all, this is a great forum for american dream seekers.

I have a question, if someone can provide me with some insights, that'll be great.

Here's the deal:

I recently became a US Citizen ( 3 months ago ). Before that, in late 2008 I went to Algeria and got engaged to my woman; we did get a marriage certificate( Jan 2009) from the local city hall, however the marriage was not consummated nor there was a marriage ceremony ( we agreed to do so once her papers are ready ). When I came back to the US, I filed for my citizenship ( which I should have filed years ago ), and because the marriage was never consummated, nor there was a wedding ceremony, I filed as Divorced ( from my ex-wife) in my N400. My confusion is, I don't know what to file for her now. Should I use the I-130 ( which they say in the instructions that I can't if the marriage was not consummated ), or the I129f as a K1 fiance visa. Also in the forms I129f, and G-325a ( biometrics , what should we put for Marital Status, Divorced for me and Single for her; or both Married.

Please, I need to know if someone knows, or if someone has been in the same situation.....

MANY THANKS,

Sofiane

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you need to determine if you are legally married in Algeria or legally divorced in Algeria.

It's my understanding that there is some marriage certificate that is issued by a government office, same for a divorce certificate.

what do you have?

I can't speak about anything in Algeria, but there have been some cases from members in Nigeria, reported here, where they filed the I-129F for a fiance, but had had some tribal wedding ceremony prior, and at the interview, they were denied because of this.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

you need to determine if you are legally married in Algeria or legally divorced in Algeria.

It's my understanding that there is some marriage certificate that is issued by a government office, same for a divorce certificate.

what do you have?

I can't speak about anything in Algeria, but there have been some cases from members in Nigeria, reported here, where they filed the I-129F for a fiance, but had had some tribal wedding ceremony prior, and at the interview, they were denied because of this.

Thanks for the reply Darnell,

The customs in Algeria is that you are not considered married ( even with government-issued marriage certificate, which I have )until there has been a weeding ceremony and most importantly the marriage has been consummated. As for my divorce, i have divorce decree from the Cincinnati City Court.

Timeline

ok - so legally yer not married to her, right? You've a divorce decree with her name on it, ya?

If that's the case, suggest a fiance visa, but.. get some more input - ask yer question in the MENA forum, as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

ok - so legally yer not married to her, right? You've a divorce decree with her name on it, ya?

If that's the case, suggest a fiance visa, but.. get some more input - ask yer question in the MENA forum, as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

Thanks Darnell. Yes, she has a divorce decree from Algeria from her previous marriage when was terminated. I have a divorce decree from my previous marriage ( ex wife ) from Cincinnati city court. Also, we have a marriage certificate when me and my woman got engaged in 2009, but we still not officially married. For example, if God forbids that things didn't work out between us, and we decided to split before we have wedding. Then, the government office would not issue us a divorce, instead it will be noted that the marriage is nulled. That's because the marriage was never consummated nor we had a marriage ceremony.

So my whole thing is in the I-219f should I check in Marital Status #Divorced ( from my previous marriage), or instead #Married ( because I have government issue marriage certificate, but still not officially married yet because we still didn't consummate our marriage nor had wedding ceremony ). AND THAT'S the WHOLE CONFUSION :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

First of all, this is a great forum for american dream seekers.

I have a question, if someone can provide me with some insights, that'll be great.

Here's the deal:

I recently became a US Citizen ( 3 months ago ). Before that, in late 2008 I went to Algeria and got engaged to my woman; we did get a marriage certificate( Jan 2009) from the local city hall, however the marriage was not consummated nor there was a marriage ceremony ( we agreed to do so once her papers are ready ). When I came back to the US, I filed for my citizenship ( which I should have filed years ago ), and because the marriage was never consummated, nor there was a wedding ceremony, I filed as Divorced ( from my ex-wife) in my N400. My confusion is, I don't know what to file for her now. Should I use the I-130 ( which they say in the instructions that I can't if the marriage was not consummated ), or the I129f as a K1 fiance visa. Also in the forms I129f, and G-325a ( biometrics , what should we put for Marital Status, Divorced for me and Single for her; or both Married.

Please, I need to know if someone knows, or if someone has been in the same situation.....

MANY THANKS,

Sofiane

You're dealing with U.S. Immigration laws. Not Algerian laws. As long as you have a marriage certificate issued by the appropiate authority, you are consider legally married. You have to file form I-130.

The U.S. does not care if your marriage has been consummated or not. However, no marriage ceremony could raise problem at the visa interview. I suggest you have a wedding ceremony and take lots of photos.

You're dealing with U.S. Immigration laws. Not Algerian laws. As long as you have a marriage certificate issued by the appropiate authority, you are consider legally married. You have to file form I-130.

The U.S. does not care if your marriage has been consummated or not. However, no marriage ceremony could raise problem at the visa interview. I suggest you have a wedding ceremony and take lots of photos.

Thanks hnguyen3k,

That would not be possible for me to file with I-130 form , as in the instructions for I-130, in the section: WHO MAY NOT FILE FORM I-130 ?

I fall in the category in this category:

4. A husband or wife, if you and your spouse were not both

physically present at the marriage ceremony, and the

marriage ceremony was not consummated.

In my case I neither had ceremony, nor the marriage was consummated, as I mentioned before- since we agreed to do so when she's ready to join me, as far as paper-wise.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks hnguyen3k,

That would not be possible for me to file with I-130 form , as in the instructions for I-130, in the section: WHO MAY NOT FILE FORM I-130 ?

I fall in the category in this category:

4. A husband or wife, if you and your spouse were not both

physically present at the marriage ceremony, and the

marriage ceremony was not consummated.

In my case I neither had ceremony, nor the marriage was consummated, as I mentioned before- since we agreed to do so when she's ready to join me, as far as paper-wise.

All USCIS requires is your marriage certificate in order to file form I-130. Which you have. Maybe you misunderstand the word "consummated". All that means is that your marriage is complete. You have a marriage certificate. Your marriage is complete. Of course having a marriage ceremony would be in your favor, but is not needed at this stage of your petition.

All USCIS requires is your marriage certificate in order to file form I-130. Which you have. Maybe you misunderstand the word "consummated". All that means is that your marriage is complete. You have a marriage certificate. Your marriage is complete. Of course having a marriage ceremony would be in your favor, but is not needed at this stage of your petition.

Thanks again. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You are legally married from what I understand- it doesn't matter that you didn't have a big celebration, or that custom doesn't see you as married. If you are legally married in Algeria, you MUST file as married (ie the I-130 leading to a CR-1 visa); the "consmuated" bit only applies to proxy marriages, and you two married in person.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

oh so the divorce document is on someone else, not yer wife. man i am confused !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

We have a friend who came to the US from Algeria in 2001 through the dv lottery. He too waited a lonf time to apply for citizenship. He became a USC in 2008 and went to Algeria to stay with his mom who was sick. While there he married and applied for his wife through DCF. Tgey never lived together or consumated the marriage until she came to the US. He told us indirectly in a way that we would understand without actually saying it loool @ cultural stuff. Anyway, no one ever asked if they had sex. Most of the spousal petitions they see in algiers are situations just like yours with algerian USCs filing for Algerian brides. I know at least two other that came on the dv lottery who brought their wives when their marriage was not consummated...all Algerian. Goid luck!!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

If the is documentation saying you are married with the Government of Algeria weather a ceremony or not then you are married if it is just documents stating you are engaged then you file for fiance. the other thing is where you free to marry another at the time you got papers to marry in Algeria from your dates it is hard to tell

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

We have a friend who came to the US from Algeria in 2001 through the dv lottery. He too waited a lonf time to apply for citizenship. He became a USC in 2008 and went to Algeria to stay with his mom who was sick. While there he married and applied for his wife through DCF. Tgey never lived together or consumated the marriage until she came to the US. He told us indirectly in a way that we would understand without actually saying it loool @ cultural stuff. Anyway, no one ever asked if they had sex. Most of the spousal petitions they see in algiers are situations just like yours with algerian USCs filing for Algerian brides. I know at least two other that came on the dv lottery who brought their wives when their marriage was not consummated...all Algerian. Goid luck!!

Thankx :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.