syadav01

When does the grace period officially begin?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi. I have finished my bachelor's degree on an F-1 visa. I have gotten all my grades, been to graduation etc. But I haven't yet received the degree and "degree conferred" has not yet appeared on my transcript. My question basically is: When does the 60 day grace period actually begin? The day of the graduation ceremony? The day the semester ends, after finals? Or when my transcript shows the I have officially been granted the degree.

I believe it's the date marked on your I-20 (1st page, expected to finish studies no later than _____ or something like that) - but you can always double check with your school's international student services office.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Actually, according to DHS regulations, the 60 day grace period "should be calculated from the date of completion (of course of study)". Now, DHS does not specify what they mean by completion but it does say "If a student completes the program of study prior to the completion date, the I-20 will automatically expire on the date the student completes". That plus the fact that the date on the I-20 is an estimate, I would say it's the date you graduated.

Are you planning to apply for OPT?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Actually, according to DHS regulations, the 60 day grace period "should be calculated from the date of completion (of course of study)". Now, DHS does not specify what they mean by completion but it does say "If a student completes the program of study prior to the completion date, the I-20 will automatically expire on the date the student completes". That plus the fact that the date on the I-20 is an estimate, I would say it's the date you graduated.

Are you planning to apply for OPT?

i am thinking about it. It has only been 5 days since I graduated so even if I apply now I should have a couple of months to find a job. My sister lives here as well...so rent is not a problem.

Sorry to bother, but I have a couple of questions. Are you allowed to apply to graduate school while on OPT(I am thinking of applying for Spring 2012) or should will I have leave the US and apply from my home country? And is volunteer/unpaid work in my field of study eligible for the OPT?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

i am thinking about it. It has only been 5 days since I graduated so even if I apply now I should have a couple of months to find a job.

The thing is OPT can take anywhere from 3 to 4 months to receive. By then you will have passed the grace period and might technically be accruing overstay. I suggest you talk to your DSO to see if you can still apply.

As for your other questions - 1) yes, you can still apply for grad school while under OPT. 2) I'm not sure.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Yes, volunteer/unpaid work is acceptable for OPT, as long as it is related to the field you graduated from. There are no regulations about the pay you receive (or don't receive) during OPT.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The grace period would start from the day the semester ended which should be the validity date on your I-20.

I-20 does not work based on when you graduated or when the degree was confered.

lately I have heard the OPT is taking long time, during my time OPT was not this bad we used to get it back in like 30 days and Int office was contacting us when they get info that int student has filed for graduation and were making sure we got all our paper work for OPT in.

You can work as voulnteer or unpaid job while on OPT there is no restriction as long as the job is in the area of your study. You can apply for Grad school while you are on OPT that should be fine and you dont have to go back to your home country to get your F1.

You would be in the good standing as long as your I-94 says D/S and you maintian your status as student.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

I believe it's the date marked on your I-20 (1st page, expected to finish studies no later than _____ or something like that) - but you can always double check with your school's international student services office.

Are you sure about this? I don't mean to be rude but I just wanted to know for sure...

my F1 expired in May but I stay for almost the whole 60 days to spend time with my boyfriend and looking bad I am a bit worried.... If it is the date on the I-20 I'm fine, if it's the date of graduation I just made it, but if it's the date of the final day of classes I think I'm screwed...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was a student it was the date that your study was completed.

Have you even bothered to check with your DSO?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

The thing is OPT can take anywhere from 3 to 4 months to receive. By then you will have passed the grace period and might technically be accruing overstay. I suggest you talk to your DSO to see if you can still apply. As for your other questions - 1) yes, you can still apply for grad school while under OPT. 2) I'm not sure.

Not true. The vast majority of F-1 students do not have a date marked in their I-94. rather, the I-94 says "D/S" - Duration of Status. Even if a student stays past the end of his/her grace period, actual accrual of overstay does not begin until deemed out of status by an immigration judge. Also, just like filing for AOS starts a period of authorized stay, applying for OPT within 60 days of completion starts a new period of authorized stay. Applying for OPT on the last day of one's 60 day grace period will actually allow the applicant to stay until a decision is made on the OPT application.

To the OP: The grace period begins on the day your course work is completed - Usually the last day of classes/finals.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.