Sergi9

Elderly Woman Cuts Country's Internet

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Elderly woman cuts country's internet

A 75-year-old woman has faced court charged with a high-tech crime after she single-handedly severed Internet access in Armenia and Georgia.

Hayastan Shakarian was arrested after damaging a fibre-optic cable with a shovel while reportedly scavenging for scrap metal in the small village of Armazi, 15 kilometres from the Georgian capital Tbilisi.

The pensioner forced 90 per cent of Armenia offline for 12 hours, caused a partial shutdown in Georgia and service interruptions in Azerbaijan.

Shakarian pleaded her innocence in court, and said she's never even heard of the Internet.

'I did not cut this cable. Physically, I could not do it,' she told AFP.

The 75-year-old has been charged with damaging property and if convicted faces up to three years jail.

Edited by Sergi9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Old story, I posted this in Politics & Religion 2 months ago, when it was a new story :P

No one cared because it was in the worng forum. This is what a RUB woman can do by mistake. Imagine the steely nerves we must have to give them keys to our cars!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Old story, I posted this in Politics & Religion 2 months ago, when it was a new story :P

Sorry, but what does this story have to do with Politics or Religion? :unsure:

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

No one cared because it was in the worng forum. This is what a RUB woman can do by mistake. Imagine the steely nerves we must have to give them keys to our cars!

Actually, it got quite a few pages worth of responses, so it was in the right place.

Sorry, but what does this story have to do with Politics or Religion? :unsure:

Seriously? You need to read more if you can't make the connection.

Indy.gif

Seriously? You need to read more if you can't make the connection.

If you think that a woman digging for scrap metal to sell is political or worse yet something religious, then you must lump a lot of things in that category. From what I read, she just hit a cable with her spade. :wacko:

Timeline

If you think that a woman digging for scrap metal to sell is political or worse yet something religious, then you must lump a lot of things in that category. From what I read, she just hit a cable with her spade. :wacko:

National infrastructure is a political topic.

I always thought those cables were much deeper underground. Maybe that's just the ones we have here in the city. :unsure:

Indy.gif

Timeline

National infrastructure is a political topic.

I always thought those cables were much deeper underground. Maybe that's just the ones we have here in the city. :unsure:

Would those be the ones paid for by taxpayers that are used for posting on immigration forums?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Would those be the ones paid for by taxpayers that are used for posting on immigration forums?

Gary, you don't live in the city I work in, so you have no gripe about your tax dollars being wasted. I post on my own laptop, using my own internet connection. Nice attempt to bait though.

Indy.gif

Timeline

Gary, you don't live in the city I work in, so you have no gripe about your tax dollars being wasted. I post on my own laptop, using my own internet connection. Nice attempt to bait though.

Gripe? I asked a question, that's all. Just curious, which city do you work in and are you posting on taxpayer time?

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

TaxPayer Time?

But back on topic - this news blurb is a bit old, but I thought 'the cut' was strange - how'd a FO cable get that close to the surface for her to cut it ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

TaxPayer Time?

But back on topic - this news blurb is a bit old, but I thought 'the cut' was strange - how'd a FO cable get that close to the surface for her to cut it ?

You have to be there Darnell. For some reason, in Ukraine and I am sure in other FSU countries, there seem to be pipes of all types run above ground or just below the surface. I was surprised, when building there, of some of the things they do. I could just shake my head and proceed. It is not a warm country. Odessa, quite far south, is at the same latitude as Montreal, QC. Yet they run water lines above ground or just below the surface whereas at this latitude here we are 6 ft. deep, minimum. Streets serve as the main storm water runoff conduit to the sea. If you do not believe it, I invite you to be there during a heavy rain. :lol:

The infrastructure in the FSU is not what you are used to here. 'Nuff said.

Gary And Alla

You have to be there Darnell. For some reason, in Ukraine and I am sure in other FSU countries, there seem to be pipes of all types run above ground or just below the surface. I was surprised, when building there, of some of the things they do. I could just shake my head and proceed. It is not a warm country. Odessa, quite far south, is at the same latitude as Montreal, QC. Yet they run water lines above ground or just below the surface whereas at this latitude here we are 6 ft. deep, minimum. Streets serve as the main storm water runoff conduit to the sea. If you do not believe it, I invite you to be there during a heavy rain. :lol:

The infrastructure in the FSU is not what you are used to here. 'Nuff said.

Is that why the past couple of winters I was sliding all the way to Fanconi's? :whistle: The good old days, going to Clara Bara and Steak House!!! Gary you are so wrong for reminding me of Ukraine!!!! I can picture it now, walking in the center during summer time and my neck snapping!!! :rofl:

Timeline

Gripe? I asked a question, that's all. Just curious, which city do you work in and are you posting on taxpayer time?

Gary, why on earth would I tell you where I work? You training to be a stalker? I post on MY time, using my computer, and my own internet. I have said this numerous times, but it just doesn't seem to get through to you.

Thank you though, for answering my question I posed earlier about the depth of some wires/pipes.

Indy.gif

Timeline

:lol:

Gary, why on earth would I tell you where I work? You training to be a stalker? I post on MY time, using my computer, and my own internet. I have said this numerous times, but it just doesn't seem to get through to you.

Thank you though, for answering my question I posed earlier about the depth of some wires/pipes.

Then why would the internet restrictions of your employer prevent you from viewing a lot of material as you often state in your posts? This doesn't correlate with your own computer, "own internet" and own time.

Why would I ask? You said that I am not a taxpayer in your city. Which city? Asking a stated public employee which public entity they work for is hardly "stalking". So if someone says they are a police officer and I ask them "For which city?" it is stalking?

As for WHY the pipes are not buried deep (as opposed to merely stating that they are) it is all traced back to abundant. cheap labor.

In the Utopian Soviet Union, which seems to be the goal of liberals in this country, there was no unemployment. There actually could be no unemployment. Since the government paid everyone for every job and everyone worked for the government, the idea of "welfare", being paid by the government to do nothing, like we do here, was impossible unless you were severely handicapped. Otherwise you could do something for society and did. There were people that operated public scales to weigh people. Many of these jobs persisted for some time after the SU ended.

what they did NOT have and still do not have in the amount needed, was machinery and modern construction equipment. Pipes get run above ground because it is easier than burying them when most digging is done with "cordless excavators" (shovels) When they freeze (they do sometimes) it is easy to find the break and fix it. Except in newer homes, pipes are also run exposed on the walls (the walls are often just poured concrete) Alla was surprised there were no pipes in our house. There ARE pipes, they are in the walls. "How stupid! How do you fix them when they leak?"

Exposed pipes and wires are an expediancy that results when the government is running things.

When people work for personal gain, they strive to make a profit and to improve their product. Their customers demand this because who wants to pay a plumber $90 per hour over and over to fix frozen pipes? If the government dictates that the plumber only costs $3 per hour, then quality plumbing work goes away..but the garbage is available to everyone, even poor people. In fact, soon everyone is equally poor and everyone is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy...wait, NM.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.