Ken&TJ

Drivers License Michigan

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok... here goes. My new husband from Canada & I have been to the DMV 3 times. They keep saying that since he hasn't gotten his green card yet he cannot get a drivers license. What!?! Anyone run into this before? HELP!

Met online : August 18 2008

Met in person (Alberta Canada): June 19,2009

Met again (USA): December 10,2009

Mailed the package: June 30,2010

NOA1: July 8,2010

Touch: July 14,2010

NOA2: Nov. 19, 2010 Issued

NOA2: Nov. 27, 2010 Received Hard Copy

November 26, 2010 NVC forwarded case to Vancouver Consulate

November 29, 2010 Received at Vancouver Consulate

December 7, 2010 Received Packet 3

December 8, 2010 Received Inverview Date

Interview Date: January 5, 2011 Vancouver

Approved February 8, 2011

Entered USA February 15, 2011

Married March 23, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I would say almost everybody has run into this. DMVs generally issue DLs to people who are legally in the US. There are only a very few states that do not look at the immigration status, and from what I know Michigan is not one of them. The only way to prove a person's legal status is a green card (or, for some reason, an EAD will suffice for DL purposes). If you attempt to obtain a DL with a K1 visa and the unexpired I94, the DL will expire on the day the I94 expires, i.e. a few weeks (considering that it takes a while to schedule the driving test and to receive the actual DL at home). I had to wait until I got my EAD (almost 7 months from when I entered the US) and in the meantime I did not drive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There seem to be a few states saying this to Canadians. Usually nothing much you can do but wait till you have the green card. Tho Canadians can drive for up to 90 days in most states on a Canadian license.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

His license is still good so he can drive. We wanted to get it to prove more that our marriage is real. My bank won't let me put him on the account without a valid Michigan Drivers License. We're not sure what else we can do to show our marriage is legit. Grrrrr...

Married March 23, 2011

Timeline

I would say almost everybody has run into this. DMVs generally issue DLs to people who are legally in the US. There are only a very few states that do not look at the immigration status, and from what I know Michigan is not one of them. The only way to prove a person's legal status is a green card (or, for some reason, an EAD will suffice for DL purposes). If you attempt to obtain a DL with a K1 visa and the unexpired I94, the DL will expire on the day the I94 expires, i.e. a few weeks (considering that it takes a while to schedule the driving test and to receive the actual DL at home). I had to wait until I got my EAD (almost 7 months from when I entered the US) and in the meantime I did not drive.

Canada has an agreement with the US on DLs. They generally just exchange the DL and waive the driving test in most states and just give the written test.

I went with my K-1 and have a full license. Does not/did not expire when I-94 did.

They changed my CDN DL over to a full American license no problem same day I went.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Canada has an agreement with the US on DLs. They generally just exchange the DL and waive the driving test in most states and just give the written test.

I went with my K-1 and have a full license. Does not/did not expire when I-94 did.

They changed my CDN DL over to a full American license no problem same day I went.

I wish this was the case. I guess Michigan doesn't make it that easy. Looks like we'll have to wait.

Married March 23, 2011

Timeline

His license is still good so he can drive. We wanted to get it to prove more that our marriage is real. My bank won't let me put him on the account without a valid Michigan Drivers License. We're not sure what else we can do to show our marriage is legit. Grrrrr...

Just curious the part where you say."My bank won't let me put him on the account without a valid Michigan Drivers License"..what if a person is for some reason incapable of driving,like let's say..oh...blindness maybe??..does that mean he can never open up a bank account at your bank because he does not have a DL??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife was able to get a 6 month DL after showing the NOA1 that we had filed to adjust status. However, this is pretty dependent on the state and also apparently the driver's license location in the state that you go to. If they won't accept your receipt that you have filed for residency or work authorization you'll have to wait it out.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Green card not received is understandable however if he has a stamp /i551 IN the passport then that is evidence which must be accepted or letter stating this. if you dont have this when save your gas and be humble it will come.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved to Michigan from Canada & was able to change my license to a MI one before receiving my greencard. I used my passport with I94, my SSN & I brought some pieces of mail with my name/address on it. This was last year....don't know if they changed things. I would try another SOS office.

Also, about the bank issue...I was added to my husband's account days after I moved here(with only Canadian ID).

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Just curious the part where you say."My bank won't let me put him on the account without a valid Michigan Drivers License"..what if a person is for some reason incapable of driving,like let's say..oh...blindness maybe??..does that mean he can never open up a bank account at your bank because he does not have a DL??

I believe the meaning was "without a valid Michigan state ID".

Timeline

if you have a valid Canada DL. What if you don't and you need to get one from scratch? My understanding was that the OP went to the DMV and applied to get a new license, meaning written and behind-the-wheel test. In this case, I believe that Canadians are treated the same as all other foreigners, but I could well be wrong.

Timeline

if you have a valid Canada DL. What if you don't and you need to get one from scratch? My understanding was that the OP went to the DMV and applied to get a new license, meaning written and behind-the-wheel test. In this case, I believe that Canadians are treated the same as all other foreigners, but I could well be wrong.

The OP has said he has a valid license.

Mine wasn't even a full license (Canada has 3 grades of license in some parts) at the time and they exchanged it for a full one.

But yes had you not had any type of drivers license you would have to take the full test like anyone else. There is no excuse on that part. Just if you already have a valid license.

Timeline

The OP has said he has a valid license.

Mine wasn't even a full license (Canada has 3 grades of license in some parts) at the time and they exchanged it for a full one.

But yes had you not had any type of drivers license you would have to take the full test like anyone else. There is no excuse on that part. Just if you already have a valid license.

Ok, all clear now (although the original post, to which I first replied, did not state anywhere that the OP has a valid CDN DL). So maybe here is the trick: the OP should go to the DMV and say "I need to convert my valid Canada DL into a Michigan one. Please do it". In other words, make it clear that he doesn't need to take the test.

Timeline

Just to clarify - this is not true. Drivers Licenses are a matter of state responsibility in the US and provincial responsibility in Canada. Each state handles foreign licenses differently - it is not a one size fits all and there is no such US/Canada agreement. For example, in Georgia there is no reciprocity for Drivers License with any Canadian province.. All Canadians moving to Georgia and requesting a Drivers License must do the whole kit and kaboodle - the written test, the eye exam, and the driving test all over again. It seems to be about half and half whether a DL from a Canadian province is given any sort of credit when applying for a State DL or State issued ID. The one thing that seems to be standard to all states, however, is the requirement for proof of a valid immigration document. Most states also tie the length of validity for a DL to the length of validity of the immigration document, and some states require an immigration document that is valid for at least 1 year. Most states also accept an EAD as a valid immigration document for DL privileges.

Regarding the bank situation, you could talk to your bank manager and ask them if they would accept his Canadian ID along with your marriage license to add him to your account - or consider opening up a new account at the Bank of America, and adding your husband to that account. The Bank of American seems pretty consistent about adding non US partners to an account with foreign issued ID. They accepted my Canadian passport and Driver's License to add me to my husband's account when I first moved here. I didn't even have a SSN yet - but did have to provide them with the number as soon as I got it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.