11 posts in this topic

On Thursday, May 26, 2011, my wife and I attended our interview with much anticipation, along with excitement of finally closing this chapter. Not to mention eventually receiving her “GC,” and then feeling some normalcy in our lives! Our initial experience was great, the CO found all of our paperwork to be in order, and then verbally issued the statement that we had been awaiting so very long for, “you are approved!” At the end he asks do we any questions. The only question at this point was could he stamp her visa with the I-55 stamp or with the new I-551 Permanent Residency passport stamp, (also referred to as the “ADIT Stamp”). He indicated no need for the stamp, because you will get an approval letter in about two days. Then shortly following in approximately two weeks the “GC” will arrive.

You can only imagine how excited we were, and tired after having driven several hours to get to the immigration office. About an hour and half into our drive back home I get a call from the immigration officer. He then asked, have you had your biometrics completed as of yet? I stated yes, in Dallas, within the first week of April. As well, I stated they had this information when they processed her (EAD). As it seemed he was viewing a computer screen he then says, oh, I see the scheduled event now, but it does not contain your digital information, such as your picture, fingerprints, or signature. He further acknowledged that this was not a big deal, and the data could be restored from a computer. At this conjuncture we have not seen any approval of our AOS in the USCIS Web site nor are we aware of any approval within the system.

Ordinarily, this would not present a real concern or problem. However, we are getting ready to close on a new home. We are now under contract, along with having submitted a deposit on our home, not to mention many more hours of gathering paperwork. The lender is seemingly unyielding that my wife have proof of her permanent residency. So here’s what we have done so far. We called the National Customer Service Center and placed a case inquiry. And, please do not ask me to write up what they told us! Additionally, I’m sending a letter to the officer who interviewed us, and we have scheduled yet another meeting at our local office via the “Info Pass.” My first question is does anyone else have any general advice pertaining to our case? My second question, is has anyone of you ever been approved by a major bank lender, and had your spouse as a co-borrower, be processed with just an EAD card? Thanking everyone in advance for your counsel and input.

Regrettably, your wife does not exist in the US, until the "green card" is in hand. You need to resolve this first.

I have seen, and know of persons that have been approved by major bank vendors with just an EAD card. I have a friend at work that is from another country, and he has had an EAD card for over (7) years now and got approved by a U.S.A. bank. While I am concerned regarding our home contract, and of course the loan, I’m more amazed that we have been verbally approved during our AOS interview, and yet no approval letter has been sent! In fact, when you think about it, how many on this site have recommended that you use buying a home together as proof of evidence for their AOS interview. I’m assuming not all of them paid cash, and the spouse was a co-borrower. Surely they can send an approval letter without finding the biometrics. The biometrics should only slow down the “GC” process. Thanks so much for your reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Sir,

I was approved by a major bank showing only my Texas ID.

As for your wife's GC I am sure there is only a delay in the mail as you were issued an approval statement. USCIS does not always update case status on their website. I received my GC nine days after my interview and my case status is still on Post Decision Activity up to now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I went thru the same thing. After waiting about one month for her GC, after her AOS approval, I did an info pass to find out what was the delay. I was told there were some "boxes" that were not checked in her computer file. Turns out she was "missing" her biometrics. When I showed them that she had completed them with the stamped paperwork, a supervisor came out and said we could do them again right in the office. Whent we went into this other office the supervisor in charge there went to another computer and found her records. Seems these two computers dont like to talk to each other. They fixed it then and there and two weeks later the GC arrived in the mail.Maybe this is your problem? When you go for your info pass again, ask about this.

I have seen, and know of persons that have been approved by major bank vendors with just an EAD card. I have a friend at work that is from another country, and he has had an EAD card for over (7) years now and got approved by a U.S.A. bank. While I am concerned regarding our home contract, and of course the loan, I’m more amazed that we have been verbally approved during our AOS interview, and yet no approval letter has been sent! In fact, when you think about it, how many on this site have recommended that you use buying a home together as proof of evidence for their AOS interview. I’m assuming not all of them paid cash, and the spouse was a co-borrower. Surely they can send an approval letter without finding the biometrics. The biometrics should only slow down the “GC” process. Thanks so much for your reply.

After further contemplation and if your spouse has a SS#, you will not get jammed up on the loan. My observations and opinion revolved around banking issues for those without a SS#. Best of luck with the new home and getting the GC issue resolved.

Thanks so very much for your reply. We got her SSN# early on. I feel relatively sure we should prevail with the loan. As far as the “GC,” I know we will triumph eventually. I’m sure you, like me, you have seen many a delay in this process. Sometimes it’s unbelievable, but while it is a shame, nevertheless, it’s a reality. Our faith is great! Thanks again.

Again thanks for all of your replies. It really means a great deal to us both. I have to chuckle a bit, because we all know not to count on the USCIS Web site for up to date information or accurate position of our cases. It’s a (10) hour around trip drive for an “info pass,” not to mention hotel, gas, food, and other expenditures. Please do not get me wrong, it’s well worth rectifying the circumstance, but considering we did all the right things by the book, well, I have no words! (Smile) I believe we will be fine on the closing of our new home. Who knows, maybe this week we will at least get an approval letter. We always said that we would be prepared for the pit falls of this process, and it looks like our “GC” vehicle just slowed down a bit. (Smile) Thanks again.

Thanks for all of your replies. Well, looks like we are prevailing. Today, around lunch, I went to the USCIS Web site and discovered the change of status to “we ordered production of your new card.” Thus, we are extremely excited. Yes, we will continue to remain in reserve, but we are making great progress! Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for all of your replies. Well, looks like we are prevailing. Today, around lunch, I went to the USCIS Web site and discovered the change of status to “we ordered production of your new card.” Thus, we are extremely excited. Yes, we will continue to remain in reserve, but we are making great progress! Thanks again for your help.

Outstanding news! You should receive the card within 10 days (although they state 30 days).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations, si man! :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.