torrell17

RFE I'm LOST!!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So today I received my RFE today!! :)

1. I've made a typo on my i-129f by checking that I was related to my fiance.

(Do I resubmit the I-129f? or just type a letter stating that I made a typo?)

2.Request that petitioner and beneficiary have met in person.

I'm lucky due to the fact she only lives 2hrs away from me Canada. I've submitted flight itineraries when we visit family in a different state, pictures(she typed the date and the activity we did on the back) of us, movie tickets in the past. I don't understand what more do they need? I sent copies of the flight info pictures of us with both sides the family. Do they need the original flight info? I didn't get anywhere when I called them today but a scripted line. Hopefully someone can break it down for me. But the funny thing is in the middle of the paragraph it says please submit a copy of her passport. Is that a general praragraph that they tell everyone then what they need is in the middle? Then it goes on about extreme hardship waiver..blah blah blah. Then on the last page is has violation of customs highlighted talking about the petitioner must must submit documentation from competent authorities to verify claim about personal meeting? WHAT IS THAT... is this a general statement..I don't think that retains to me but just curious does everyone gets that in there RFE letter as well. If additional information is need Ill be more than happy to answer. If I had a scanner I would scan this letter so everyone can see and compare.

THANK ALL

Edited by torrell17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They could be asking for copy of passport to view passport stamps from traveling as proof of meeting but generally Canadians do not get passport stamps when crossing to the US.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

I've submitted flight itineraries when we visit family in a different state, pictures(she typed the date and the activity we did on the back) of us, movie tickets in the past. I don't understand what more do they need? I sent copies of the flight info pictures of us with both sides the family. Do they need the original flight info?

Did you send copies of any of the actual boarding passes or did you send just computer printouts of the flight itineraries? I have seen in other forum posts that they don't like itineraries as much as actual boarding passes because it doesn't show you got on the plane, just that you purchased the ticket.

Pictures are good, but only as secondary supporting evidence (it is hard to prove the dates of these photos, now that we're in a digital photo age).

What about passport stamps? Did you submit copies of her US immigration stamp when she comes to visit you? They like to see these, as well as passport stamps if you have traveled to Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not everybody gets an RFE. It usually delays the process. You do have to submit a copy of her passport and what it says is that they need more evidence of you two meeting in person. What evidence did you send them?

01-03-2011 129F sent

01-12-2011 NOA1

02-23-2011 Touched

05-02-2011 NOA2

05-16-2011 Packet 3 received

07-27-2011 Medical

07-28-2011 ASC

08-01-2011 Interview & approved!

08-03-2011 Got the visas!

08-04-2011 POE Juarez, 5 minutes at 6:10 am!!

08-19-2011 Married

10-19-2011 AOS package sent

11-08-2011 AOS package re-sent

11-22-2011 NOA1 date

12-20-2011 BIO apointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

The "extreme hardship" and "violation of customs" statements are meant to address situations where you have not been able to meet because of either of those reasons. They specifically asked for the passport and that may be all that is needed.

I had an RFE asking to prove the meeting requirement and their request for the passport was in bold type.

Good Luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

(Do I resubmit the I-129f? or just type a letter stating that I made a typo?

You would send in a letter explaining the typo and clarifying that you are not related.

I've submitted flight itineraries when we visit family in a different state, pictures(she typed the date and the activity we did on the back) of us, movie tickets in the past. I don't understand what more do they need? I sent copies of the flight info pictures of us with both sides the family. Do they need the original flight info? I didn't get anywhere when I called them today but a scripted line. Hopefully someone can break it down for me. But the funny thing is in the middle of the paragraph it says please submit a copy of her passport. Is that a general praragraph that they tell everyone then what they need is in the middle? Then it goes on about extreme hardship waiver..blah blah blah. Then on the last page is has violation of customs highlighted talking about the petitioner must must submit documentation from competent authorities to verify claim about personal meeting? WHAT IS THAT... is this a general statement..I don't think that retains to me but just curious does everyone gets that in there RFE letter as well. If additional information is need Ill be more than happy to answer. If I had a scanner I would scan this letter so everyone can see and compare.

Flight itineraries do not count as primary evidence of meeting in person. Typically they want the actual boarding pass. If you do have passport stamps, then you could photocopy ALL (yes ALL) pages of your passport and send that in.

In general, think about presenting primary evidence... meaning that you link time and place together within last 2 years to satisfy this requirement. You have to prove that you were there and with her. This can be actual boarding pass, a hotel receipt with both your names on it, the pictures sound like they are ok (not sure why they didn't like them). The problem with itineraries is that you can print out an itinerary, and never actually make that trip. The same for a receipt. I can pay for a ticket and never go, but the boarding pass is issued on the day of traveling. So, boarding pass there and boarding pass back proves you went during those dates.... Which should correspond with the pictures. Movie tickets don't count as they could be anybodies movie tickets.

As for copies of her passport, did she come visit you? I can't speak for that request.

Finally, yes you are going to have to submit documentation from competent authorities to verify claim about personal meeting. There is no way around that as it is a part of the requirement for filing an I-129F application. All of this information can be found in the K1 forum under various links and post. This is nothing new.

Another thought is that you can marry her and then file an IR1/CR1 and begin that process if you should choose to do so.

Good Luck and just use your energy in resolving the RFE. Getting mad with USCIS is not going to do you any good. They were not just picking on you. Many people get RFE's for lesser things. Deal with it and get your response and evidence together and back to them and then you should be just fine. Hopefully some other members will also give out some ways of dealing with this request.

Edited by John & Mari

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Not everybody gets an RFE. It usually delays the process. You do have to submit a copy of her passport and what it says is that they need more evidence of you two meeting in person. What evidence did you send them?

Pictures of the family with info on the back. Copies of luggage stubs and flight tickets. When crossing the boarder you don't get stamps but I should of asked for one if known this was the issue. But as if that was a general statement because underneath that in bold. It asked PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF THE BENEFICIARY'S PASSPORT AND THE PETITIONER PASSPORT ALL PAGES INCLUDING THE IDENTIFICATION PAGE. I didn't send any emails or phone bills because it says that it does not constitute as evidence.

Since video, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards does not constitute as evidence, it seems that we only have to submit reference letters from "competent authorities" that indicate knowledge of our relationship and passports??? She does not have stamps on her passport. What can she do to provide that info especially that Canadians do not get stamps when traveling to US???

(see below - letter)

"The last personal meeting - submit evidence of meeting of beneficiary in person within the 2 yr. period proceeding the filing of the petition.

Primary evidence may include airline ticket stabs that include month, date and year, copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admissions stamps, military orders, letters from commanding officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that petitioner has met the beneficiary within 2 years.

Secondary evidence may include film dated photograph of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following does not constitute evidence of meeting: these include video, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF THE BENEFICIARY (John Doe) and the PETITIONER'S PASSPORT AND INCLUDING THE IDENTIFICATION PAGE.

However, this personal meeting may be waive for under the following circumstances."

Pictures of the family with info on the back. Copies of luggage stubs and flight tickets. When crossing the boarder you don't get stamps but I should of asked for one if known this was the issue. But as if that was a general statement because underneath that in bold. It asked PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF THE BENEFICIARY'S PASSPORT AND THE PETITIONER PASSPORT ALL PAGES INCLUDING THE IDENTIFICATION PAGE. I didn't send any emails or phone bills because it says that it does not constitute as evidence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Difficult without passport stamps... I can only suggest boarding passes (primary evidence), any 'dated' photos of you together (maybe check with friends or family that might have taken any), ATM receipts or credit card summary for an event that you bought tickets to show you were in Canada or she was with you. (As just movie tickets on their own don't show name details). Also baggage tags that relate to boarding passes (showing baggage was checked). All your other info... cards, emails etc apply for the interview later to prove ongoing relationship.

Copy every page of both passports.

Best of luck!

Edited by Andie

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

Who visited who???? You are becoming confusing. But nevertheless, I assure you that the USCIS is well aware that there are no passport stamps from Canada or to Canada from US. I did get stamped one time after flying to Quebec, but never when crossing the border.

That is probably a general request for RFE lacking compelling evidence they have met in person.

So, re-read the posts and see what is Primary evidence. I assume by your lack of saying, "I do have the boarding passes" that indeed you do not have the boarding passes. Boarding passes are primary evidence. I suggest that you read some from this link to better educate yourself on what is needed.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/80-k-1-fiancee-visa-process-procedures/

The first topic has some RFE do's and don'ts... The second topic has all the general and some specific info for I-129F application and the process after that gets approved (which allows the beneficiary to apply for K1). This way, you can avoid any further RFE's by assuming what you have is enough.

Right now, you have 2 issues to deal with.

#1 You made a typo that says you are related (innocent enough but it raised a red flag) and needs to be addressed.

#2- you have not submitted the required documentation to satisfy USCIS that you have met in person within the last 2 years. Once again, photos are secondary evidence and not primary evidence. I do not know if just simple luggage tags from checked luggage will work. I have never read where that is the evidence that someone sent as their primary evidence. I doubt it though.

Think of it like this.... say you needed an alibi because someone accused you of a crime. PROVE you are somewhere else. Prove you GOT on that plane. Prove you were at a hotel somewhere else.

If you simply do not have the evidence then I don't know what you can do. Maybe since she lives so close, you guys can arrange a weekend together, obtain the primary evidence and file again. Or you can choose to get married and file the spousal visa. What ever you choose, take the necessary time and educate yourself by reading all the great information on this website posted by people who have gone through all of this.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Difficult without passport stamps... I can only suggest boarding passes (primary evidence), any 'dated' photos of you together (maybe check with friends or family that might have taken any), ATM receipts or credit card summary for an event that you bought tickets to show you were in Canada or she was with you. (As just movie tickets on their own don't show name details). Also baggage tags that relate to boarding passes (showing baggage was checked). All your other info... cards, emails etc apply for the interview later to prove ongoing relationship.

Copy every page of both passports.

Best of luck!

Ongoing evidence not required at this time. He just needs to address the RFE

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Pictures are good, but only as secondary supporting evidence (it is hard to prove the dates of these photos, now that we're in a digital photo age).

Whilst it is hard it is not impossible, but if you have a photo or photos of yourselves on your puter you can actually prove when the image was created, modified and accessed and show the stamps of all three in a screen dump and attempt to use as evidence or try to get the photos notorised from a disc.

step 1...open a file that contains the image you want to use as evidence and locate the image.

Step 2...open the image, but keep it in a small open box, then right clck the image to open dialogue box and select properties and click.

Step 3... put the dialogue box and opened image side by side to get the stamps and iamge as you would like then open paint.

Step 4...minimise paint and assuming you are running only one monitor press Ctrl and Prt Sc SysRq buttons together, pull paint back up, place your cursor in the white area of paint and paste or press ctrl and v together

And Viola.....you have the image you want to submit as evidence with name of file and dialogue box confirming the name and showing the stamps.

Whether they accept this is to be seen, but thought I would share this gem with you all!

Edited by Rushton50

(Do I resubmit the I-129f? or just type a letter stating that I made a typo?

You would send in a letter explaining the typo and clarifying that you are not related.

I've submitted flight itineraries when we visit family in a different state, pictures(she typed the date and the activity we did on the back) of us, movie tickets in the past. I don't understand what more do they need? I sent copies of the flight info pictures of us with both sides the family. Do they need the original flight info? I didn't get anywhere when I called them today but a scripted line. Hopefully someone can break it down for me. But the funny thing is in the middle of the paragraph it says please submit a copy of her passport. Is that a general praragraph that they tell everyone then what they need is in the middle? Then it goes on about extreme hardship waiver..blah blah blah. Then on the last page is has violation of customs highlighted talking about the petitioner must must submit documentation from competent authorities to verify claim about personal meeting? WHAT IS THAT... is this a general statement..I don't think that retains to me but just curious does everyone gets that in there RFE letter as well. If additional information is need Ill be more than happy to answer. If I had a scanner I would scan this letter so everyone can see and compare.

Flight itineraries do not count as primary evidence of meeting in person. Typically they want the actual boarding pass. If you do have passport stamps, then you could photocopy ALL (yes ALL) pages of your passport and send that in.

In general, think about presenting primary evidence... meaning that you link time and place together within last 2 years to satisfy this requirement. You have to prove that you were there and with her. This can be actual boarding pass, a hotel receipt with both your names on it, the pictures sound like they are ok (not sure why they didn't like them). The problem with itineraries is that you can print out an itinerary, and never actually make that trip. The same for a receipt. I can pay for a ticket and never go, but the boarding pass is issued on the day of traveling. So, boarding pass there and boarding pass back proves you went during those dates.... Which should correspond with the pictures. Movie tickets don't count as they could be anybodies movie tickets.

As for copies of her passport, did she come visit you? I can't speak for that request.

Finally, yes you are going to have to submit documentation from competent authorities to verify claim about personal meeting. There is no way around that as it is a part of the requirement for filing an I-129F application. All of this information can be found in the K1 forum under various links and post. This is nothing new.

Another thought is that you can marry her and then file an IR1/CR1 and begin that process if you should choose to do so.

Good Luck and just use your energy in resolving the RFE. Getting mad with USCIS is not going to do you any good. They were not just picking on you. Many people get RFE's for lesser things. Deal with it and get your response and evidence together and back to them and then you should be just fine. Hopefully some other members will also give out some ways of dealing with this request.

Ok so after reviewing what I sent to them I did send them copies of the boarding passes. We took a trip in 2008 and 2009 so must I supply more information you think? Thanks for your reply!! I'm thinking I just need to send them the copy of our passports. But theres nothing in them because like everyone is saying you don't get a stamp from crossing the borders. Edited by torrell17

Timeline

Ok so after reviewing what I sent to them I did send them copies of the boarding passes. We took a trip in 2008 and 2009 so must I supply more information you think? Thanks for your reply!! I'm thinking I just need to send them the copy of our passports. But theres nothing in them because like everyone is saying you don't get a stamp from crossing the borders.

OK so 2008 does not count as it is outside of the 2 year requirement. It states "within" the last 2 years. If you have the boarding passes from 2009 then this is getting better, as long as it was within the last 2 years from the date of your filing. You filed around Feb 2011, so the 2 years would be back until Feb 2009. Copy of your passports will only help meet the requirement if there are stamps for the timeframe you are suggesting. But, since they requested it, you should provide it. But will not serve the purpose of proving you met. As someone tried to show you can prove when the pictures were taken.... all good for secondary evidence, but does not help you with your RFE....

If you have the boarding pass from the trip that you (or she) visited in 2009, then definitely submit a copy of those along with secondary evidence such as photos from that time together. Also, keep in mind that at anytime, USCIS can request to see the original documents at their request. What was the trip? Did she fly to your hometown or did you fly to hers? Hypothetically, if you live in Ohio and she flew to California, this will not prove you guys met unless you can prove you were in California at the same time.

I understand your frustration with this process, but it is clearly outlined. This process is not to be taken lightly and it is the petitioner's responsibility to understand the process for which you are filing. Have you read the links I suggested to you? If you have, then you will have a better understanding of what is required of you.

Good Luck

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.