Lavendar

K3 Visa and IR1/CR1

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey

I'm new here and still kinda trying to work everything out here!

My fiancé (soon to be husband) is a US resident and will be petitioning on an IR1/CR1 i think for me as soon as he returns and just wanted to ask how difficult the whole process is and what kinda time frame we will be looking at?

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hey

My fiancé (soon to be husband) is a US resident and will be petitioning on an IR1/CR1 i think for me as soon as he returns and just wanted to ask how difficult the whole process is and what kinda time frame we will be looking at?

Thanks

US Resident or US Citizen? Consult the guides and timelines.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hey

Thanks

he has to be husband before you can use the CR1.. is the way i understand it..

and the most difficult part is wait on the government to process the paperwork :(

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

he has to be husband before you can use the CR1.. is the way i understand it..

and the most difficult part is wait on the government to process the paperwork :(

We're getting married in Feb 2012, so he will officially be my hubby then :D

Thanks for the help - just kinda a bit overwhelmed and wanting to be there NOW!

Timeline

We're getting married in Feb 2012, so he will officially be my hubby then :D

Thanks for the help - just kinda a bit overwhelmed and wanting to be there NOW!

And....will your husband be a US Citizen or just a US "resident"? It makes a difference. That's why I asked.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://www.visajourn...content/compare

Follow the guides to the best visa for you

But you cannot do anything right now, you MUST meet him before you file the petition for any visa - that is unavoidable.

Then you must decide what is best for you.

He'll need a police certificate from Morroco so he'll need to investiage that (assuming he's live in Morrocco after the age of 16) and how to go about getting one if living in the UK

You may file for him (do the Cr-1 path, it is superior to the K3) if you are married even if you are living overseas, you do not have to file from the US. Follow the guides for filing procedures.

As long as he has legal status in the UK he my interview there. Just note, Morroccan citizens have a tough go of getting visas for the US

Good luck

Thank you so much for that guide, I've been looking at it. Yes we plan on meeting and getting married in Nov 2011. What exactly is the police certificate for if you know, helpsmilie.gif yes he was living in Morocco up to the age of 23... Stating what or the purpose? I won't be living there, so for my understanding; I can file from wherever as long as the paper work is mailed to the U.S. if I'm understanding correctly... Yes it sucks that being from certain places affects these things but God willing everything goes well.

Thank you again! smile.gif God bless.

Timeline

My fiancé is a US citizen :)

Then how difficult it will seem will depend on the two of you and your capabilities. Check out the CR1 visa process Guide and make your own assessment of difficulty. If you work efficiently, it will take from 8 to 10 months from petition filing to visa interview.

If he were only a resident, not a citizen, you would be thinking in terms of years, not months.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Reading about the K3 Visa and IR1/CR1 ... I am a little confused, and wanted to make sure I am getting this right...a little confused about time line as well. So below is what I think?

1. File I-130

2. Receive I-797. How long does it take to receive this?

3. File I-129F

4. Receive approval of EITHER I-130 or I-129F...

I-130 = the IR1/CR1 petition

Becomes a permanent residence at entry, no AOS needed after entry. Can start working immediately.

I-129F = K3 Visa

Enter the US under K3 (immigrant) Visa, and can stay within US for 2 years and possible extension, with multiple entries.

At this point, either apply for AOS & employment authorization immediately OR notify consulate to continue processing the I-130?

IF chose to notify consulate to continue processing the I-130 (due to faster processing time there instead of AOS)..

Would the spouse need to return to respective country for interview?

Can an employment authorization also be filed?

Another question a little off topic, between the K1 and K3, on average, is the K1 easier to do and faster to process?

Why would you file a spouusal visa and then a fiance visa.?They may question if you are married or is he your fiance.

Timeline

Why would you file a spouusal visa and then a fiance visa.?They may question if you are married or is he your fiance.

Read the I-129F instructions to see how it is used for a spouse, in connection with a K3 visa. When one files an I-129F, they are filing a petition, not a visa.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

They appear to have closed your K3. You have a few additional weeks of processing at the NVC but you are saved 6-7 months of AOS processing after US arrival.

You are lucky in that you can at least visit.

Bryan and I started on the K3 visa on the advice of my sister. We have now got to the NOA2 stage and recently Bryan sent an e-mail to the NVC about me completing the process in the US as I was due to visit him soon. (They said no by the way, as I guessed they would).

I am now confused as to what to do (if anything) after noticing that they have listed our preference category as CR1. Can anyone explain what this now means for us?

Case Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Petitioner's Name: BRYAN

Principal Applicant's Name: NADIA

Preference Category: CR1

Your Priority Date: 19May2011

Foreign State Chargeability: GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

U.S. EMBASSY

24 GROSVENOR SQUARE

LONDON, W1A 1AE

UNITED KINGDOM

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.