Lavendar

K3 Visa and IR1/CR1

42 posts in this topic

Bryan and I started on the K3 visa on the advice of my sister. We have now got to the NOA2 stage and recently Bryan sent an e-mail to the NVC about me completing the process in the US as I was due to visit him soon. (They said no by the way, as I guessed they would).

I am now confused as to what to do (if anything) after noticing that they have listed our preference category as CR1. Can anyone explain what this now means for us?

Case Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Petitioner's Name: BRYAN

Principal Applicant's Name: NADIA

Preference Category: CR1

Your Priority Date: 19May2011

Foreign State Chargeability: GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

U.S. EMBASSY

24 GROSVENOR SQUARE

LONDON, W1A 1AE

UNITED KINGDOM :help:

What should our next step be?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Bryan and I started on the K3 visa on the advice of my sister. We have now got to the NOA2 stage and recently Bryan sent an e-mail to the NVC about me completing the process in the US as I was due to visit him soon. (They said no by the way, as I guessed they would).

I am now confused as to what to do (if anything) after noticing that they have listed our preference category as CR1. Can anyone explain what this now means for us?

Case Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Petitioner's Name: BRYAN

Principal Applicant's Name: NADIA

Preference Category: CR1

Your Priority Date: 19May2011

Foreign State Chargeability: GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

U.S. EMBASSY

24 GROSVENOR SQUARE

LONDON, W1A 1AE

UNITED KINGDOM

This preference category indicates spouse of US Citizen where the marriage took place less than two years ago. Simply follow the CR1 guide. Does this case number refer to an I-130 petition? Did you also file an I-129F petition. If not, there's no K3 possible. You are on the CR1 visa path.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

This preference category indicates spouse of US Citizen where the marriage took place less than two years ago. Simply follow the CR1 guide. Does this case number refer to an I-130 petition? Did you also file an I-129F petition. If not, there's no K3 possible. You are on the CR1 visa path.

Thank you pushbrk,

Yes we filed the I-129F also.

Thanks again you've been very helpful!

Another question if I may...

Because we filed the K3 we were told to submit the I-134 Affidavit Of Support (By the London Embassy) however, the CR1 flow chart states we have to submit the I-864. Does this mean we have to now submit it or does the I-134 still stand??

Timeline

Another question if I may...

Because we filed the K3 we were told to submit the I-134 Affidavit Of Support (By the London Embassy) however, the CR1 flow chart states we have to submit the I-864. Does this mean we have to now submit it or does the I-134 still stand??

By filing two petitions, you opened two potential paths to a visa. Use the affidavit of support applicable to the visa sought.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Ok,

Thanks a million!

I should add that if you send an affidavit of support to NVC, it will be for the CR1, not the K3.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

I should add that if you send an affidavit of support to NVC, it will be for the CR1, not the K3.

So our co-sponsor should also fill out the I-864 even though she already did the I-134 for the K3?

Timeline

So our co-sponsor should also fill out the I-864 even though she already did the I-134 for the K3?

If you are pursuing a CR1 visa, yes, the "joint sponsor" would provide an I-864.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

If you are pursuing a CR1 visa, yes, the "joint sponsor" would provide an I-864.

Oops! Yes 'Joint Sponsor' All this new terminology is driving me crazy!! LOL

Thank you so much!!

Nadiya :ot:

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Reading about the K3 Visa and IR1/CR1 ... I am a little confused, and wanted to make sure I am getting this right...a little confused about time line as well. So below is what I think?

1. File I-130

2. Receive I-797. How long does it take to receive this?

3. File I-129F

4. Receive approval of EITHER I-130 or I-129F...

I-130 = the IR1/CR1 petition

Becomes a permanent residence at entry, no AOS needed after entry. Can start working immediately.

I-129F = K3 Visa

Enter the US under K3 (immigrant) Visa, and can stay within US for 2 years and possible extension, with multiple entries.

At this point, either apply for AOS & employment authorization immediately OR notify consulate to continue processing the I-130?

IF chose to notify consulate to continue processing the I-130 (due to faster processing time there instead of AOS)..

Would the spouse need to return to respective country for interview?

Can an employment authorization also be filed?

Another question a little off topic, between the K1 and K3, on average, is the K1 easier to do and faster to process?

We are new on this Journey but we are willing to do and wait as long as it takes. Any suggestions, advice, answers are a blessing as we begin this Journey together... Thanks in advance for the response!

Here's Our Story... Morocco LOVES Colombia :)

We meet on the once popular Myspace! From all those people online we found each other with a click on the browse button; a sec would have made a difference of never meeting but we both believe it was meant to be... Love at first "site" :) We have talked since Aug, 2007... Because of our age at the time and our focus on school, we kept our relationship long distance. It was the only thing we could do and I also lost my Father. For those reasons we have never been able to meet in person but... I became a U.S. Citizen I am from Colombia and he is Moroccan but currently living in the U.K. now on a Student Visa for 2 years. We never lost touch and we have been glued to the computer for each other ever since and have grown closer and closer. Before anything we are best friends and he is a blessing in my life. On Aug, 2011 we decided to take our relationship to another level and we have decided to get married. Now 26 he 25. I am currently waiting on my U.S. Passport and I plan to travel to the U.K. and get married with him there. We have kept records of messages since 2007, pictures, money transfers, gifts, letters, and I'm currently having trouble getting my phone records of him calling me long distance with my Metro phone... :(IF THERE ARE OTHER WAYS OF OBTAINING THESE RECORDS PLEASE SHARE SUGGESTIONS...) TNK :) He's talked to my Mother and Family through Skype and asked for my hand in marriage and recorded that meeting and pictures of that moment. We plan to record the first time we meet at the airport and also of course the formal proposal in person, plus pictures with dates :)!!! AND The civil marriage it's self as proof for (K-3 or CR-1)... if that is the best route for us to take instead of the (K-1)? I also read that letters from friends and relatives with approving statements and supporting our relationship once in the interview process will help?! Do you guys know if the letters have to be typed or hand written and or notarized?

1) I'm not sure what is best for our situation. He's been living in the U.K. for 2 years on a student visa, will that favor us in any kind of way?

2) I think that asking for him as a Fiance (K-1) would be a little bit more difficult or take longer? Since we haven't met each other yet but will meet in Nov 11 and I will stay with him for like 3-4 months, we are really considering getting married in the U.K. instead thinking this will be more beneficial in our case because it might be the only time in a while that we can meet again... Does this mean I have to wait a while to file for him after we meet or I can file right away...?

(K-3)

3) I want to know when we meet in the U.K. get married and I'm planning on staying with him for like 3-4 months there; will that will be enough time to apply for him as my spouse (there at the U.S. Embassy) ? or I need to come back here and have to file from the State of Georgia?

4) Will he have to leave the U.K. and go to Morocco at any point since he is there in school and can lose his visa and not finish school or with the K-3 or CR-1 has the option of interviewing in the U.K?

WE JUST WANT THE FASTEST WAY POSSIBLE AND THE ONE THAT MIGHT MAKE US WAIT A LIL LONGER FOR HIS LEGAL STATUS TO CHANGE BUT WILL ALLOW US TO BE TOGETHER IN THE PROCESS... DON'T WE ALL WANT THAT! :)

GOD BLESS!

THANK YOU!

HERE WE GO!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Follow the guides to the best visa for you

But you cannot do anything right now, you MUST meet him before you file the petition for any visa - that is unavoidable.

Then you must decide what is best for you.

He'll need a police certificate from Morroco so he'll need to investiage that (assuming he's live in Morrocco after the age of 16) and how to go about getting one if living in the UK

You may file for him (do the Cr-1 path, it is superior to the K3) if you are married even if you are living overseas, you do not have to file from the US. Follow the guides for filing procedures.

As long as he has legal status in the UK he my interview there. Just note, Morroccan citizens have a tough go of getting visas for the US

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Reading about the K3 Visa and IR1/CR1 ... I am a little confused, and wanted to make sure I am getting this right...a little confused about time line as well. So below is what I think?

1. File I-130

2. Receive I-797. How long does it take to receive this?

3. File I-129F

4. Receive approval of EITHER I-130 or I-129F...

I-130 = the IR1/CR1 petition

Becomes a permanent residence at entry, no AOS needed after entry. Can start working immediately.

I-129F = K3 Visa

Enter the US under K3 (immigrant) Visa, and can stay within US for 2 years and possible extension, with multiple entries.

At this point, either apply for AOS & employment authorization immediately OR notify consulate to continue processing the I-130?

IF chose to notify consulate to continue processing the I-130 (due to faster processing time there instead of AOS)..

Would the spouse need to return to respective country for interview?

Can an employment authorization also be filed?

Another question a little off topic, between the K1 and K3, on average, is the K1 easier to do and faster to process?

I don't understand why people file the I130 and the I129. when one is for fiance and the other is for married couples. I married my husband and then Filed the I 130. and later received an approval letter and IR-CRI. Please explain why?

Timeline

I don't understand why people file the I130 and the I129. when one is for fiance and the other is for married couples. I married my husband and then Filed the I 130. and later received an approval letter and IR-CRI. Please explain why?

The explanation is in the K3 visa guide. The K3 no longer saves time and is generally unavailable but the guide explains how it used to be obtained by following an I-130 for a spouse with an I-129F for a spouse. I-129F instructions tell you how to use it for a spouse.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.