Victoria and John

Worried and really nervous!

6 posts in this topic

If this would be more appropriate in another section, please feel free to move it. :-) Ahem.

It probably doesn't mean anything yet, but I've noticed Vermont has really been cranking out those NOA2s lately and our estimated approval date has been creeping closer and closer. I wish I were more at ease about it, but I'm finding that I'm more nervous and worried than excited. Not about him, of course, although I do worry a little about how hard it might be for him to adjust once he moves here.

I had been out of work for the last couple of years for grad school, then I quit my degree program and moved back home in January. So I have no income to report for part of 2009 and all of 2010. I managed to get a good, well-paying job that I like almost a month ago, and going on that income I do exceed the requirement for the I-134. What I am most worried about is whether that will be good enough for the London embassy. See, I am employed on a "contract to perm" basis. I am working as a temp employee for 90 days and at that point I will be hired on permanently (and quite likely get a nice raise). I have no doubt that this company will hire me. I will have pay stubs to submit, but I don't know what I could submit as a "letter of hire" just yet, as I won't have that officially until sometime in late July. I guess what I'm freaking out about is how fast Vermont is going - I'm afraid that we'll get a NOA2 before I'm ready to properly demonstrate my ability to support my fiance.

So any ideas? Would several weeks' worth of pay stubs and a nice letter from my prospective permanent boss suffice if Vermont were to approve me before I go permanent? I've considered asking my mother to co-sponsor, but I'm worried that she won't agree. It's complicated - she can definitely afford it, but she keeps going on about how much better I can do, etc., and I'd rather not involve her if I can help it. I'll ask her if that's what it will take, though. She will agree, but I'll never hear the end of it. :-P

Thanks for the vent space. I did a quick search and didn't see anything quite like my situation (temp work). :-)

Edited by Victoria and John

event.png

01.02.2010 - Started talking online.

09.03.2010 - Decided to become exclusive.

17.05.2010 - Met in person in London and fell madly in love.

27.05.2010 - Got engaged.

28.01.2011 - Sent I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e) to Dallas Lockbox.

02.02.2011 - NOA1. Received word that case had been sent to Vermont Service Center.

31.05.2011 - NOA2 118 days from date of NOA1.

08.06.2011 - Date of letter stating that NVC received our approved 129-F petition and that petition will be forwarded to London Embassy within a week.

16.06.2011 - John receives Packet 3? (Will verify, he's bad about dates.)

24.06.2011 - John gets a required tetanus booster at his local surgery.

06.07.2011 - John sends Packet 3 to London and the request for the police certificate to Fareham.

12.07.2011 - John receives two copies of police certificate and makes an appointment for the medical in London.

19.07.2011 - John's medical appointment with Knightsbridge.

15.08.2011 - John receives appointment letter.

13.09.2011 - John's interview in London. Visa approved!

~Waiting~

28.09.2011 - John comes to Texas and moves in.

05.11.2011 - Wedding date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can always consider getting a co-sponsor. Remember, I-134's are recommended but not necessarily required for K-1, though the London Embassy may require them, I'm not sure. Basically, what I'm trying to say is any and all evidence to show support can be used. Pay-stubs could be very helpful. I'm in a similar situation, as I'm a full time Law Student, and I'm partially supported by student loans. I also have a near-full time (30 hours a week) law clerk job that very nearly gets me the 125% level. My parents have agreed to submit a supporting I-134, which gives me a fall-back position at least.

12/3/10 - I-129f mailed to Texas

12/10/10 - NOA1 - Petition off to California

04/14/11 - NOA2

04/25/11 - NVC sent petition to Montreal

05/02/11 - Montreal receipt, Packet 3 sent

05/04/11 - P3 docs off to Montreal

05/05/11 - P3 docs delivered to Montreal

05/09/11 - P3 logged in Montreal and Packet 4 sent

08/03/11 - Interview - APPROVED

08/05/11 - Visa Issued (Printed)

08/17/11 - Visa-in-hand

08/18/11 - POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If I was you I would fill the forms with your info and get the letter from your actual employer saying you are still passing through the experience time to get a permanent job soon also containing your wage but also you should get a co-sponsor, maybe you would have a friend in a better situation who could help you out? A sponsor doesn't have to be necessarily a member of the family, it is just someone who is gonna show that is willing to financially support your fiancé in case you guys need, making sure he won't become charge of the U.S. Government on a welfare or something like that. And as far as I know and you can check at the US Embassy website, the affidavit of support is one of the mandatory documents required on your interview. But in case you don't want a co-sponsor you could wait till you're actually hired, after the NOA2 if I'm not wrong you would have 90 days to schedule the interview, it doesn't have to be right away.

* Love conquers all *

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I feel you...I am in the same position, but my fiance and I JUST started this whole process so congrats for getting this far! I just finished undergrad last January and luckily have been working FT after returning from overseas, but my problem is my job is seasonal so I'm going to have to start looking elsewhere soon. I was thinking of getting a temp position too, but I feel it's too risky and I much rather go into something without worrying about not being hired FT or loosing my position. Good job on keeping the job, though, that's half the battle! And Yes, just have your boss write a letter describing your situation (with all the other documents provided and I'm sure that will be sufficient. It is wise to have a co-sponsor as a backup plan, and I too didn't want to ask my dad to be our cosponsor just because he has enough to worry about! Do you have another close relative who can support you? ie uncle, aunt, brother, etc?

My fiance is from France, and from what I've been reading from the forums is the affidavit of support IS mandatory but they are not as strict about it like in the Philippines or China; at the interview they only ask typical questions like: what does your fiancee do, where does she live, what do you do? Nevertheless, I still bug out everyday when I think about losing my fiance to some stupid paper with numbers on it, but check out the Embassy Review Forum on this website and read people's experiences with London...it will give you a better sense on how strict the London Embassy is in regards to finances. Cheers!

You don't show the income proofs until the interview. If you tried really hard, the interview is likely 2 months after NOA2. If you take it at the normal pace London intends, then longer than that....more like 4 months.

So instead of trying to rush the system, you wait until London mails your letter giving instructions that you may apply for the visa. Then you take 2-3 weeks before you mail in your forms. Then 3 weeks more before you mail in your readiness for interview form. Then they still wait on your medical so don't have it so fast. You can easily add two additional months to the process by slowly sending your things in. You could have that full employment letter by an October/November interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Personally, if I did not have any sort of income in 2009 or 2010 I would not file for K-1 until you know the interview won't take place until after you file your taxes for 2011 next Feb 1. Afterall, this can be a stressful process for some. Why go through all that with the history you have explained? I.e. No work history, temporary position etc. Put yourself in the interviewers shoes... Would you approve a visa when the petitioner doesn't clearly have a stable work history? I'm not bashing the OP. Moreso, something to think about for all the responses from people that stated they were similar to you. I ask, "Why not wait to file, until you are 100% sure the interview won't be till after February 1, 2012?"

On another note... it amazes me how people throw around "Just get a co-sponser, or so and so will co-sponser no problem." I assume all these co-sponsors all fully understand what a huge liability this is? They'll end up being on the hook until your fiance/future spouse has completed 10 years of work. That can amount to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. People understand this, right? I think allowing co-signers is the most foolish thing in this whole process.

Best of luck.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.