maya62

N-400 question about taking up arms in defense of the US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

My husband (the alien) and I (the USC) have been discussing this. He is a life-long Buddhist, although he doesn't really have any proof of this. Most of his ethnic group in his birth country of Nepal are Buddhist. This question gets complicated for him. If he were a USC by birth, he would likely claim CO status during a draft. He would be more than willing to serve in a non-combat support position like a medical unit. He's over 40 now, so I think (hope) the chance of him even being eligible would be slim to none, but who knows?

What happens if you answer "no"? What kind of proof would be adequate to show that one is Buddhist and has a religious objection to taking up arms in defense of the US?

Any (kind and helpful) guidance is appreciated. And I thought of piggy-backing on the related topic thread but decided against it because we are still in the application phase.

Thanks!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi,

I started a similar tread here yesterday. I actually checked yes on the forms but now I am re-thinking it before the Oath.

As far as I know that is not a problem. I have a friend that did that. I am waiting for his answer to see what they asked him etc when he checked he does not want to bear arms. I can let you know his answer later in the week. At the same time I think your husband does not need any proof, he should just answer truthfully if they ask why.

I read somewhere that they cannot deny citizenship if one refuses to bear arms anymore so this should not cause any problems.

Nameste,

Szilvia

My husband (the alien) and I (the USC) have been discussing this. He is a life-long Buddhist, although he doesn't really have any proof of this. Most of his ethnic group in his birth country of Nepal are Buddhist. This question gets complicated for him. If he were a USC by birth, he would likely claim CO status during a draft. He would be more than willing to serve in a non-combat support position like a medical unit. He's over 40 now, so I think (hope) the chance of him even being eligible would be slim to none, but who knows?

What happens if you answer "no"? What kind of proof would be adequate to show that one is Buddhist and has a religious objection to taking up arms in defense of the US?

Any (kind and helpful) guidance is appreciated. And I thought of piggy-backing on the related topic thread but decided against it because we are still in the application phase.

Thanks!

Maya

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just took my oath on the 20th of May and I said "no" to the questions regarding bearing arms and such. My interviewer wanted me to have proof which at the time, I didn't. I sent in a letter explaining my beliefs with my application but that wasn't enough. I passed the test and everything went well but my interviewer didn't approve me for my citizenship right away. She gave me a paper saying that I needed to bring more proof (such as a letter from the congregation stating that I was an active member). This process probably delayed me only one month which isn't so bad.

Your husband might want to get in touch with a Buddhist temple. Maybe they could write a (notarized) letter for him to send in as proof with his application. I don't think they'll just "take his word for it."

It's not a hard process and I hope it goes quickly for you guys!

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The more you think about this question, the nebulous and iffy it becomes:

"37. If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States?"

Then you are only given the choice of just two answers, YES or NO, how about a third choice, IT DEPENDS?

Can't say too much good about my country when the "law" is just the word of the commander in chief of the armed services and lies to the people. This country is based on the majority will of the people and not just one guy, we have become a dictatorship. And the countries we have fought with since WW II have been a lie, to prevent the expansion of communism, that was a lie. There was no communism, but a dictator making life for his own people miserable just as well as ours. And we weren't killing that dictator, but the people he rules, that either have to fight for him or get shot by him.

Just recently, I could never understand why Chavezs' military didn't rebel against him when he had them point AK-47's against young college students that objected to his dictatorship type leadership when that act goes against their constitution of free speech. And we can see the same thing happening here.

But how do you deal with this question when its just between you, and let's face facts, against a very incompetent IO, when this question should be openly discussed on the national level?

The most serious crime one can commit in this country is the taking of another life, but this question implies taking thousands if not millions of lives. If you really think this question through with all the circumstances involve, the best I could do is to put a question mark behind it. But practically all the questions on the N-400 are black and white when we live in a very gray world.

The big if in this question, is that word, "law", whose law?

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband is a conscientious objector to bearing arms. It sounds like a letter from our church would be in order to explain why he would say no to the question, "if the law required it, would you bear arms"

Also what would happen at the oath ceremony, since it sounds like this line is part of that ceremony? Would my husband just not say that line?

We are just finished with ROC and getting ready for Naturalization this summer, so we have time to get documentation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The last time people where drafted was when I was in high school. ( the 1970's ) The part about bearing arms is part of the wording just like one nation under god. Many people recited the pledge that don't believe in god. Many people take the oath that would request a non combat position if we went to war and if the armed forces ever resorted to drafting people again.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I wrote 'yes'...I'm a female in my 60's and I doubt they'd ever want me too!! :)

Seriously, as Nigeria says.....nobody gets drafted any more, so it's kind of a dead point....I'd write 'yes' ...just to not have any extra aggravation !!! :P

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I will serve in the army if needed... as cook :innocent:

[Timeline]

10/13/2012 -> N-400 filed

10/19/2012 -> Check cashed

10/22/2012 -> NOA #1 letter received

10/25/2012 -> NOA #2 letter received

11/15/2012 -> Biometrics appointment

11/19/2012 -> Placed in line for interview

01/03/2013 -> Interview letter

02/12/2013 -> Interview passed

02/12/2013 -> Oath ceremony

I wrote 'yes'...I'm a female in my 60's and I doubt they'd ever want me too!! :)

Seriously, as Nigeria says.....nobody gets drafted any more, so it's kind of a dead point....I'd write 'yes' ...just to not have any extra aggravation !!! :P

+++1... why make it difficult.. just say yes.. we have an all volunteer armed forces anyway.. draft no longer exists.. as it is, the military are scaling back.. pretty soon, they will no longer need pilots like me as drones have taken over the skies.. say yes and move on.. what are the chances we go out with an all-out war and everyone here needs to fight in your lifetime? just so you know, i volunteered to serve and they denied me because of my age.. apparently they won't take you in the military if you are over 35.. unless you have served before and wants to re-enlist or currently active.. so don't worry about it.. say yes, cross your fingers behind you, and congratulations on getting this far.. the finish line beckons..

LPR 2007

CITIZENSHIP 2012

N-400 filed based marriage to usc = april ??

biometrics = june 21

interview = august 2

oath taking = august 29

done..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.