MAO36

Sharing some red flags

208 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello VJ Family,

I thought maybe I would share some of the red flags, looking back from the time we met and during the immigration process. I truly did not have a whole lot but there were a few that are noteworthy. I also have a couple of friends who went thru the process who shared some red flags they encountered. Again, we are still together and if it's God's will, he will make the necessary changes to have a happy, successful, trustworthy marriage. If he doesn't "OH WELL, SEE YA". Just let me add also, I do not hide anything from my husband. I told him straight up I am trying to forewarn my VJ Sisters who want to listen or who are concerned that they may be being used. I told him he is free to leave at anytime he sees fit and I won't hold it against him. If it means having a peace of mind, rather than being in this unusual, loveless, deceitful marriage, I'd rather be alone & at peace. He really won't leave.... it's very strange but I honestly think it's out of shame to his family. They are very close knit with a stong religious background. My issue is LIARS, I hate liars. The man is a big liar! my mother said if you lie, you will cheat and I believe that. No woman has come forward yet, but i would not be shocked if one did. He's sitting on the couch while I'm typing this. I don't care. I just turned 40 and it's time to "DO ME". Well some of the red flags were

Red flags

1) Saying I love you a couple of days after connecting on the internet. ** Impossible to love someone you know nothing about at that point***

2) Younger man, older woman who's overweight, often with kids . ***This is not the typical family arrangement in the african culture****.

3) Doubts about some of things he tells you. *** Do your homework and verify the things you discuss******

Those my 3 red flags, other than that he had me sold. I have some friends who are going through much worse and some of the men have left. There red flags were

3) On the internet late at night at the internet cafe when their not talking to you. ** Usually means they are chatting with other women***.

4) My good friend said when she got to Ghana (her husband was Ghanian), he did not want to be seen with her in public. He was not romantic and there was a huge disconnection, but he still wanted to marry her. *** What man do you know would marry a woman he is not in love with unless theirs an ulterior motive?****

5) Someone who is inconsiderate of your financial obligations by always requesting money to be wired.

6) Not genuinely interested in your life, your background and your feelings.

7) Has a few shady friends (one of my red flags). ****The kind that you know are up to no good****

I'll let you know if i think of anymore. This is only for those who are interested.

I130

September 6, 2007-Sent I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

February 24, 2008-Touched

April 14 & 15-Touched-RFE trick

May 23, 2008-Aproved!!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday)

May 31st-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

February 24TH, 2008-Touched

April, 14TH & 15TH-RFE trick

May 22, May 23rd -Touch, Touch

May 23-Approved!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday!)

May 31ST-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

NVC

May 29TH, 2008-129F received at the NVC-YES!

May 30TH, 2008-130 received at the NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

Interview-PASSED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES-10 MINUTE INTERVIEW

SEPT 20TH-Arrived in NYC then to Charlotte-YEAH!!!

AOS

February 4TH-mailed I485 & I765

Feb 8TH, NOA 1 for both-Received Feb 5TH

March 4TH Biometrics done

March 19TH RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER-INTERVIEW DATE April 30TH at 9:30

April 13TH RECEIVED EAD... FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

APRIL 14TH-GOING TO SS OFFICE TO ORDER SSCARD

April 19TH-SS card received

April 20TH-Lerners Permit obtained

April 30TH- AOS Passed-10 minute meeting, wouldn't call it an interview, very, very simple.

May 18TH=GREEN CARD RECEIVED

NEVER ABLE TO VIEW CASE ONLINE-SAME INVALID# MESSAGE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for sharing! I do have one question...is ur husband cheating? Or what is causing issues?

Edited by patient2010

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

That is the million dollar question!!! His answer is "NO". He shows may signs of cheating though. Cell phone always out of my reach, Sometimes he hangs out late on fridays but will not answer his cell. Sometimes he's MIA without a reasonable explanation. When I confront him it's always, "Come on.. I'm with my african friends, eating and drinking and having a good time". Then tell me where you are, 'Oh at a place in Charlotte' he says, blah blah blah. Then he wants to go worship God together, cook me food and clean the house to reconcile. I've told him to please go stay permanently at the place you're constantly hanging out at. My heart is telling me he has cheated. If not, why all the secrecy?

Edited by MAO36

I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

AOS

April 30TH- AOS Passed-10 minute meeting, wouldn't call it an interview, very, very simple.

Timeline

Nigerians tend to have separate social circles for men and woman. I have seen it there and I see it amoungst the groups here. They gather in same sex groups , sometimes even in the same house.

Other red flags, Not meeting his family

A "relative" of the same age "living" in the same house

Unexplained or poorly explained periods with no communication ( he may be playing several hands to see who will file first)

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks Nigeriaorbust for some additional feedback! I hope the red flags will help others!

I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Girl you are amazing! look at the response you are already getting. I am so glad you posted this on VJ. :thumbs: Now the cat is out of the bag, as the saying goes. It would be nice to hear from others.

If he is cheating on you or not? I am sorry that you are stuck in a loveless marriage. You are a wonderful woman and you deserve to be happy! I think you said it right; now it is time for you to take p-square's "do me" song to another level...regardless of your age...LOL

Your points are valid and well taken. These "red flags' applies to most of us women here on VJ. I praise you for your courage and honesty. I pray that ultimately, you find your true love, regardless of this one mishap.

Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I’m sorry you are so unhappy in your marriage (F) . I am not aware of your financial circumstances or religious affiliation that might affect this, but have you thought about being the one to initiate the divorce to get out of the marriage instead of waiting for him to leave?

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

4) My good friend said when she got to Ghana (her husband was Ghanian), he did not want to be seen with her in public. He was not romantic and there was a huge disconnection, but he still wanted to marry her. *** What man do you know would marry a woman he is not in love with unless theirs an ulterior motive?****

I just wanted to highlight what you said above. Its not uncommon for a married couple in Ghana not to go out together in public unless its to get dinner or something like that. Whenever I went shopping I went with my MIL or SIL, he was always with his friends, brothers or dad. Even when I think about my parents, they hardly ever go anywhere together in public, unless it is to visit family or friends.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties in your marriage.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Hello To All!

Thanks for the responses and the encouraging words!! I didn't want to make any rash decisions until I find out what's really going on. After all, this is more serious than just a date at this point. My children are attached, we have financial obligations which we share and there is a little potential there to make this work. He's not a monster but he certainly isn't forthcoming all the time. If you all met him you would probably would not believe he is this person. Everything will happen in due time. Like I said earlier, if he wants this to work, then he knows what he has to do. If he doesn't, then it's all gravy. He got here in 08, so I think it's only fair to say I gave him enough time before I moved on. My religious beliefs are bible based which i follow, where adultery is the grounds for divorce, however I will separate without a doubt if it doesn't get better though.

Some of my friends have been in worse predicaments. I understand there is a huge culture difference concerning not wanting to be seen out in public and I'm ok with that part. In my friends case, it utlimately led to him leaving and moving on. We do have some fun every now and then but marriage is about loyalty, faithfulness and honesty. If he can't live up to those qualities then I will part ways.

What I'm most happy about is I'm not bitter towards him. Sometimes i sit back and just shake my head and chuckle wondering "what in the world was i thinking"! lol.... Marrying someone i hardly knew from another country! smh!!!! I'm a happy go luck person and try to find that silver lining in every cloud.

I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

MAO36,

You are welcome! VJ is here for us to support one another regardless. Your story touches us all as women. Well, have you tried to get some marriage counseling? Or religious counseling? It sounds to me there is a glimmer of hope in your relationship. I pray that you both find happiness with or without each other. Life is too short to waste it being unhappy and unfulfilled. God bless and best of luck!

Timeline

To LoveNigarmostyle,

Thanks again. We have had some counseling from our Elders but only time will tell. I'll be sure to keep my status updated.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance at any point and time.

See ya!

I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

AOS

Filed: Timeline

Hello, when I read this post I decided I need toparticipate. I married an “African” man,approximately 8 years younger than myself. I wholeheartedly agree with these red flags. At this time, I must remain anonymous, but Iam hoping that if anyone reads this you will think twice before gettinginvolved. This information isparticularly useful for women who meet these men via the internet.

Red Flags Abroad

· Several times I called my husband and he was atthe airport. Once he arrived here wewere going through pictures on his digital camera. He was pictured with several so called “femalefamily” members touring his home country. I am thinking he was entertaining perspective women who he had metonline to see who would become the lucky petitioner.

· All the pictures we had taken in Africa weredestroyed except the ones he wanted to use to submit with the application.

· While I was visiting him in Africa, he never hadany money. We always used my money whenwe went out.

· When we did go out it was only with one certainfriend.

· There were several females at his home, aroundthe same age, but they were never referred to as niece, sister, cousinetc. Although I met his mother and talkto his sister here in the states, this made me feel uncomfortable.

· My husband wanted to get me pregnant while I wasin Africa, but quickly changed his mind once he arrived

· He paid for his airline ticket here, but once he arrivedhe needed $1500.00 to pay back the so called individual that arranged histicket.

Red Flags in the Marriage

· Once he was here, he hid emails and continued totalk on Yahoo Messenger to women with screen names like SexyDDD.

· Always closed the laptop when I came in theroom. I even asked to see the conversationand he refused.

· Attended several functions here in the stateswithout me. I found out afterwards therewere other women both African and American in attendance.

· Hangs out with other African men here, but neverbrings them to visit our home

· He works until 1:00am and gets home about 3hours later but says he is out with his other African friends chatting andlistening to music or his boss asked him to stay and clean up

· Sends money home even when we have to handlefinances here

· Has become very unaffectionate and we have notbeen intimate for almost a year. Heclaims he is having a problem but will not discuss it with me

· Very aloof about holidays and we never celebratetogether

· Very private and locks his closet where he keepshis luggage and immigration papers

· And last but definitely not least, just theother day I was putting my lipstick on in the car and an open condom wrapperfell from the visor mirror. He adamantlyclaims he has no idea how it got there.

My husband does not like to talk about divorce. I have asked and I too feel like he is just waitingto see who will file first. However,after the condom incident I think it’s clear what my next move is.

HurtInTheUS

Timeline

Another red flag is a man that is overly affectionate in Africa. When you are there you almost never see public displays of affection. Couples don't hold hands , don't kiss. So if he is over the top touchy feely he trying to prove something and not acting within the norm. Although we are still together and have no relationship problems I remeber being in a crowded market once and it was a sister in law that held my hand when the crowd got thick. He was right beside me but she kept me close. In the market I noted if 2 families where shopping the men were together and the woman where together, the men would be summoned when more cash was needed. This is a culture where men eat before women and children. Sneaky internet behavior is a warning for men anywhere.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Hello, when I read this post I decided I need toparticipate. I married an "African" man,approximately 8 years younger than myself. I wholeheartedly agree with these red flags. At this time, I must remain anonymous, but Iam hoping that if anyone reads this you will think twice before gettinginvolved. This information isparticularly useful for women who meet these men via the internet.

Red Flags Abroad

· Several times I called my husband and he was atthe airport. Once he arrived here wewere going through pictures on his digital camera. He was pictured with several so called "femalefamily" members touring his home country. I am thinking he was entertaining perspective women who he had metonline to see who would become the lucky petitioner.

· All the pictures we had taken in Africa weredestroyed except the ones he wanted to use to submit with the application.

· While I was visiting him in Africa, he never hadany money. We always used my money whenwe went out.

· When we did go out it was only with one certainfriend.

· There were several females at his home, aroundthe same age, but they were never referred to as niece, sister, cousinetc. Although I met his mother and talkto his sister here in the states, this made me feel uncomfortable.

· My husband wanted to get me pregnant while I wasin Africa, but quickly changed his mind once he arrived

· He paid for his airline ticket here, but once he arrivedhe needed $1500.00 to pay back the so called individual that arranged histicket.

Red Flags in the Marriage

· Once he was here, he hid emails and continued totalk on Yahoo Messenger to women with screen names like SexyDDD.

· Always closed the laptop when I came in theroom. I even asked to see the conversationand he refused.

· Attended several functions here in the stateswithout me. I found out afterwards therewere other women both African and American in attendance.

· Hangs out with other African men here, but neverbrings them to visit our home

· He works until 1:00am and gets home about 3hours later but says he is out with his other African friends chatting andlistening to music or his boss asked him to stay and clean up

· Sends money home even when we have to handlefinances here

· Has become very unaffectionate and we have notbeen intimate for almost a year. Heclaims he is having a problem but will not discuss it with me

· Very aloof about holidays and we never celebratetogether

· Very private and locks his closet where he keepshis luggage and immigration papers

· And last but definitely not least, just theother day I was putting my lipstick on in the car and an open condom wrapperfell from the visor mirror. He adamantlyclaims he has no idea how it got there.

My husband does not like to talk about divorce. I have asked and I too feel like he is just waitingto see who will file first. However,after the condom incident I think it's clear what my next move is.

HurtInTheUS

Wow! I'm sorry this happening to you.

The evidence of him cheating is clear even before he got here.

I'd say, put his ####### back where he belong!

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.