A&M WALEO

AOS through marriage from tourist visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello

Well I came to the US back in 2001 with my mother to visit my father. During our visit my father asked us if we would like to stay and study here. Given that opportunity we stayed.

I have been living in the us illegally since then. I'm now 23 years of age.

3 years ago I met the most wonderful girl I have ever encountered and we fell inlove. As time transversed I built up the courage to tell her my situation.

I finally proposed and we are getting married this august.

My question is this can I aos on a tourist visa.

My visa is still valid up until the end of august.

I don't have an i94 as we sent it to my country to get stamped as if I have left the country.

I haven't left the country however.

I have a minor criminal record. (petty theft of 75$)

I have paid taxes since I was 16.

I'm a college student and work full time. .

Background Information

12/20/2001***MOVED TO THE US ON A B-2 VISA

06/19/2002***I-94 EXPIRED

02/14/2011***GOT ENGAGED

08/12/2011***WEDDING DAY <3

08/18/2011***B-2 VISA EXPIRED

AOS Progress

Day 00: 02/14/2012***FILED PAPERWORK I-130,I-485,I-785

Day 07: 02/21/2012***Notice of Action 1 for all three applications =)

Day 17: 03/02/2012***ASC BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT LETTER FOR 3/20/2012

Day 22: 03/07/2012***WALK IN BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENT DONE! =)

Day 66: 04/20/2012***EAD APPROVAL/ CARD IN PRODUCTION.

Day 73: 04/28/2012***RECEIVED EAD

Day 75: 04/30/2012***APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

..Umm.. you sent your I-94 to El Salvador to get stamped - so that you could falsely claim you left the country even though you've been here for 10 years now..? Just out of curiosity, who did you send it to? Who would have stamped it for you?

Well. Normally, people would tell you that yes, once you are married to a USC, you can adjust from a tourist visa even if you overstayed your I-94, as long as you did not leave the country before having the GC in hand.

However, this I-94 business seems a bit.. well. Odd, to say the least. They will ask for the copy for the AOS package - you will have to provide it or explain where it is - or try to get a new one from POE.. None of which seem like a viable option in this situation..

So. I really have no idea. Maybe the missing I-94 won't be an issue.. but someone more experienced will probably know with more certainty. What is sure is that if you leave the country now, you will trigger a 10 year ban because of the overstay.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

You can AOS on a tourist visa, the overstay would have been an overlooked negative factor. However, sending the I-94 out of the country to get it (fraudulently) stamped is a big problem. They will have no flight record of you leaving the country, or entering it again, but they will receive the I-94 that you had left. So, this gives them a record that you left the country - even if it doesn't match up with the airlines' records. How will they know you are in the country now and thus eligible for AOS?

I'd get that I-94 back if you can. Maybe I am being too negative, and others can refute my worries.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I agree with the previous poster. Normally the answer would be yes, you can AOS from an overstayed tourist visa. But as the government is assuming you left, they may see you coming back as illegal, and if not, then you pretending to leave as misrepresentation, which could lead to a lifetime ban. How old were you when you supposedly left? Ie did you do this or your parents?

Time to get a good immigration lawyer.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I was only 12 and I justfound out this happened when I asked my parents for my visa and passport.

My lawyer said that with school records I should be able to prove I wasnt te one commuting fraud since I was a minor.

I just wondered if anyone has gone through this.

Aparently a friend of the family worked in customs in el Salvador an that's how it got stamped.

Background Information

12/20/2001***MOVED TO THE US ON A B-2 VISA

06/19/2002***I-94 EXPIRED

02/14/2011***GOT ENGAGED

08/12/2011***WEDDING DAY <3

08/18/2011***B-2 VISA EXPIRED

AOS Progress

Day 00: 02/14/2012***FILED PAPERWORK I-130,I-485,I-785

Day 07: 02/21/2012***Notice of Action 1 for all three applications =)

Day 17: 03/02/2012***ASC BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT LETTER FOR 3/20/2012

Day 22: 03/07/2012***WALK IN BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENT DONE! =)

Day 66: 04/20/2012***EAD APPROVAL/ CARD IN PRODUCTION.

Day 73: 04/28/2012***RECEIVED EAD

Day 75: 04/30/2012***APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Filed: Other Timeline

In order to file for Adjustment of Status, you will need to proof that you entered the US with inspection and when. For that you'll need that I-94. Illegal immigrants cannot adjust status because they have no status to adjust from. If Uncle Sam has your I-94 showing that you left the US you'll have to show again how you entered. School records mean nothing. You could have entered without inspection and gone through school as tens of thousand of illegal aliens do it.

You have a problem.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.