emmabxx

UK citizen needing advice om B2 visa please???

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys!!!

Im HOPING I have a pretty straightforward case I need advice on here..all tho other topics seem to be more complicated!!! I have family in America (aunt, uncle and some close friends). I want to take advantage of the B2 and go visit for 6 months. Im working so so hard at the moment to save for it. I WILL be leaving at the end of the 6 months since I will only have enough money for that time period. I am DEFINITELY not looking for any permanent move. There is a possibility I will be looking at extending for 12 months but certainly not more than that. The only real worry I have is.... to go for that long I WILL have to leave my job. Ive asked them and sadly they wont let me take extended unpaid leave. Im skilled and will be looking to return straight to work as soon as im home. Anyone have any advice about this??? I live with my parents and I dont have a mortgage (hence the reason I can afford this trip!!!!). So I really dont have any ties here to show. Ive read this will be a problem.

ANY advice (UK) is greatly appreciated. Im looking at going Aug time. So any advice on the visa process and waiting times would be great.

I will be staying with family so accomodation is free. The only money I need is purely spending money (which I wont need too much of) so if anyone has any ideas of how much exactly they will be looking for available in my account PLEASE let me know

Many thanks in advance

Emma x x x x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So with limited money, and very limited ties to the UK, plus family in the US AND being from a VWP...it will be tough

one of the first questions asked will be "what ties do you have to the UK". How do you plan on answering that?

And then the next question, why do you need to stay for 6 months (which isn't a guarentee by the way)vs. the 90 days offered by the VWP.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Thanks for the reply!!! In answer to that. Im young (26...hahaha) I just feel like doing something different with my life. Seeing my family and visiting different parts of the US with them and some friends I have met over the years of visiting there. Ive saved hard. When I say money money is limited I will be going with around £4000 ($6500). Ive tried this forum because when I posted on another it seemed everyone quizzed me like I had some ulterior motive? I basically want an extended holiday before I "settle down"?? I dont think that is weird....everyone else seems to tho??? But Thats great....because I imagine this is how immagration are going to treat me. Its great practise!!!! xxxx

Timeline

I agree that it is an adventure, but you still have to overcome the 'ties' issue. What ties do you have, because they are certainly going to ask you why you MUST return to the UK

good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Basically.... I have to return to the UK because I can not work in America an eventually Im gonna run out of money!!! This isnt a student working holiday. Im (sadly) a grown #### woman now!!!I have to work to support myself till I win the lottery :) My family are here.... my babies (my dogs) are here, my friends are here... Im a homing pidgeon. I need my mum...but I have a feeling that aint gonna wash with immigration? Maybe it will though? Thats why I need any advice? It was only since I started looking on forums Ive started getting stressed about how a simple (or so I thought) holiday can turn into this nightmare!!!! xxxxx

Timeline

The CO isn't going to simply take your word for it. Trust me, plenty of illegal immigrants find work in the US, how can you prove to them that you won't be one of them

I'm trying to help, I really am, but I just don't think your well prepared for a B2 visa

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Nope...I am definitely not prepared which is why I came here. Im working night an day shifts to pay for this holiday so the thought of finding work in America...legal or otherwise makes me feel physically sick :). Im going to relax and sit in the sun for 6 months. Proving ties is my major problem. I can get letters...statements...anything. If ANYONE has any advice on getting proof that I need to return (which I really do!!!!) that would be so so appreciated x x x x x x x x

The best kinds of proof are things like a job - which, apparently you won't have -, an ongoing lease under your name, being enrolled in school, having most of your family back in the country of origin.. In all honesty, not too many people can take a 6-12 month "holiday". And I am not at all suggesting that you have an alterior motive for coming to the US, but as Canadian_wife pointed out, that is what the IO will think. The fact that you are also willing to give up your job for this holiday also makes it seem as though you might be planning to stay in the US longer than you say (and again, I do not think so - as a person who loves to travel and does it as much as possible, I can definitely understand giving up a job to go for a travel adventure for a year) - but again, it is not us here you have to convince, it is the person interviewing you at the embassy, and the IO at the port of entry in the US. In immigration, "innocent until proven guilty" is not how it works - everyone is an intending immigrant, until proven otherwise. The burden is on you to convince them that you do not intend to immigrate to the US, and you'll have to come up with more than friends in the UK to show that.

You can't come up with evidence of ties from thin air. Affidavits could help - but what would they say? Your mom writing a letter saying you told her you will come back probably won't make much of a difference. What it looks like right now is that you are wrapping up your life there in the UK and coming here for a fairly long trip, long enough to apply for the B2 even though you could just come for 90 days under VWP, which is also a pretty long time for a holiday.

Have you considered just coming for the 90 days under VWP? It would most definitely be much easier than going for the B2..

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Thanks for the reply hun. Went last year travelling there with my best friend under the VWP. Vegas, Florida an so on. Thats why this year is a mix of travelling and a mix of just basically sitting in the sun and doing something deifferent with my summer. Is there anyway of getting my uncle to sign something to say he is definitely sending me back to my parents??? hahaha. Trust me...that man wont have me for too long!!! I have a part time job alongside my regular job. I work as a beautician doing pamper partys with another girl. Do you think a letter from her saying she needs me back to do the parties with her is enough?? Only ask as that is not my main job xxx

Just so frustrating because to me...I cant see why there is a problem with working my bum off to spend 6 months sitting on it in the sun. Grrrrrr. I dont want to work, i dont wanna live there I just want some sun since we wont have any all summer here. Think some people have obviously abused this system and make it so difficult for everyone else. Very very sad xxxx

Filed: Other Timeline

There is one thing you need to understand: you have one chance to make your case. If they deny your B2 application, you cannot use the VWP anymore, so go into this well prepared and expect some really inconvenient questions.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is one thing you need to understand: you have one chance to make your case. If they deny your B2 application, you cannot use the VWP anymore, so go into this well prepared and expect some really inconvenient questions.

Not quite right, you would need to update ESTA, may or may not have an issue with using the VWP.

My advice would be to make it two trips on the VWP say a year apart. Going in August is going to somewhat restrict your sun opportunity.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Basically.... I have to return to the UK because I can not work in America an eventually Im gonna run out of money!!! This isnt a student working holiday. Im (sadly) a grown #### woman now!!!I have to work to support myself till I win the lottery :) My family are here.... my babies (my dogs) are here, my friends are here... Im a homing pidgeon. I need my mum...but I have a feeling that aint gonna wash with immigration? Maybe it will though? Thats why I need any advice? It was only since I started looking on forums Ive started getting stressed about how a simple (or so I thought) holiday can turn into this nightmare!!!! xxxxx

All these are not good enough reasons for the offical purpose.

You need to have some good reason like job or school or family etc.

Also if you are visiting for first time, then why would VWP would not be enough time over B2 if you just want to visit family and friend?

As you mentioned earlier staying in US for 12 months is not possible, even on B2 max (best case scenario is 6 Months).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Not quite right, you would need to update ESTA, may or may not have an issue with using the VWP.

My advice would be to make it two trips on the VWP say a year apart. Going in August is going to somewhat restrict your sun opportunity.

Boiler - Bob said is correct if she goes for B2 she only has one chance as if screws that up she cannot even use her VWP.

So best option for het the OP is use VWP stay here for 90 days and return back home at end of 90 days.

Edited by Harsh_77

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.