spookyturtle

What do you know about the illegal immigrant community in your area?

243 posts in this topic

I know alot of illegals, good and bad. There are many that live in my community and they all work really hard to get their necessities for themselves and their USC children. As of now some are getting their green cards, i personally don't have anything against them at all

Illegals? Why? They are breaking our laws.

Filed: Timeline

You dimwitted ones.

I am drinking to the point I am drunk and yet,

I understand this more than most that understand to open a fly b4 peeing.

THE UNWANTED ILLEGALS ARE HERE! ALREADY!

Can you use street view to show us where they are? I bet they don't have that same problem back home in OZ. Perhaps you could post some charts and tables for us. :P

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

The border is about as secure as it's going to be. It'll never be full proof and we've spent billions and will continue to spend billions to do what? Keep unskilled laborers from entering the workforce, earning a living and contributing to our economy?

The most viable solutions to prevent undocumented immigrations would be multifaceted. For one, renegotiate our trade policies with our neighbors to the south, including NAFTA, which caused tens of millions of Mexican farmers to lose their way of life. Second, help Mexico's economy become more on par with Canada and the U.S. (which was the promise of NAFTA). Third, expand/reform guest worker program to make it easier for employers who can show a need to hire foreign, unskilled workers.

All of this, I've talked about at length and in great detail over the years, but mostly to the deaf ears to the anti-immigrant members who don't want to make any concessions or compromises. The truth is, they just don't want them here, period.

I have that feeling as well. They might be willing to spend more in doing so (and failing quite miserably) than in exploring options that you just described above that not only could (ironically) keep the numbers of illegals here much lower than now.

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

That's the best you could come up with?

You wanna be activistists should just spend ur time beating to some whales!

Aww, look at the sock puppet go. Trying to act like a different VJ member each day. Quite an act, and quite entertaining. Me gusta!!!!

Indy.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

The reason I'm so hard on you Steven is because you are disingenuous and tend to omit a lot of facts and details when you make your assertions. How about compromising with thieves and other lawbreakers? Why not let them keep only 1/2 of their ill gotten gains? Is that how we deter illegal activity? We concede and compromise?

I can concede and compromise. No need to mass deport. Just freeze them out of the economy by denying them work and non life threatening social services. ** giving them legal work authorization and citizenship (rewards) for their arrogant disregard of numerous laws. There is a limit to concede and compromise and that limit is no amnesty, no legal work authorization, no legal residency, and no citizenship. These people are not our responsibility. They never were. They are lawbreakers that must be dealt with and deterred. It is not our responsibility to compromise and concede with thieves that steal benefits they are not entitled to.

You don't deter thieves by rewarding them by letting them keep what they steal.

This sounds like an honest and fair assessment of the entire problem- at least from the 'they're here' part if anything.

I do think we should be flexible with the children though. A checkpoint like the Dream Act or something stringently controlled in that fashion would be a reasonable way of bringing undocumented kids into serving America as a condition for their legalization.

*If they're here already*

Filed: Timeline

Significant Historic Dates in U.S. Immigration

• Naturalization Act of 1790: Stipulated that "any alien, being a free white person, may be admitted to become a citizen of the United States"
  • 1875: Supreme Court declared that regulation of US immigration is the responsibility of the Federal Government.
  • 1882 The Chinese Exclusion Act: Prohibited certain laborers from immigrating to the United States.
  • 1885 and 1887: Alien Contract Labor laws which prohibited certain laborers from immigrating to the United States.
  • 1891: The Federal Government assumed the task of inspecting, admitting, rejecting, and processing all immigrants seeking admission to the U.S.
  • 1892: On January 2, a new Federal US immigration station opened on Ellis Island in New York Harbor.
  • 1903: This Act restated the 1891 provisions concerning land borders and called for rules covering entry as well as inspection of aliens crossing the Mexican border.
  • 1907 The US immigration Act of 1907: Reorganized the states bordering Mexico (Arizona, New Mexico and a large part of Texas) into Mexican Border District to stem the flow of immigrants into the United States.
  • 1917 - 1924: A series of laws were enacted to further limit the number of new immigrants. These laws established the quota system and imposed passport requirements. They expanded the categories of excludable aliens and banned all Asians except Japanese.
  • 1924 Act: Reduced the number of US immigration visas and allocated them on the basis of national origin.
  • 1940 The Alien Registration Act: Required all aliens (non-U.S. citizens) within the United States to register with the Government and receive an Alien Registration Receipt Card (the predecessor of the "Green Card").
  • 1950 Passage of the Internal Security Act: Rendered the Alien Registration Receipt Card even more valuable. Immigrants with legal status had their cards replaced with what generally became known as the "green card" (Form I-151).
  • 1952 Act: Established the modern day US immigration system. It created a quota system which imposes limits on a per-country basis. It also established the preference system that gave priority to family members and people with special skills.
  • 1968 Act: Eliminated US immigration discrimination based on race, place of birth, sex and residence. It also officially abolished restrictions on Oriental US immigration.
  • 1976 Act: Eliminated preferential treatment for residents of the Western Hemisphere.
  • 1980 Act: Established a general policy governing the admission of refugees.
  • 1986 Act: Focused on curtailing illegal US immigration. It legalized hundred of thousands of illegal immigrants. The 1986 Immigration Act is commonly know as the 1986 Immigration Amnesty. It also introduced the employer sanctions program which fines employers for hiring illegal workers. It also passed tough laws to prevent bogus marriage fraud.
  • 1990 Act: Established an annual limit for certain categories of immigrants. It was aimed at helping U.S. businesses attract skilled foreign workers; thus, it expanded the business class categories to favor persons who can make educational, professional or financial contributions. It created the Immigrant Investor Program.
  • USA Patriot Act 2001: Uniting and Strengthening America by providing appropriate tools required to intercept and obstruct terrorism.
  • Creation of the USCIS 2003: As of March 1, 2003, the US immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) becomes part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The department’s new U.S. Citizenship and US immigration Services (USCIS) function is to handle US immigration services and benefits, including citizenship, applications for permanent residence, non-immigrant applications, asylum, and refugee services. US immigration enforcement functions are now under the Department's Border and Transportation Security Directorate, known as the Bureau of US immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

http://www.rapidimmigration.com/1_eng_immigration_history.html