NycBra

POST OATH and CITIZENSHIP

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

After 8 years of dealing with USCIS, I am a owner of boxes with copies of all my applications, receipts, letters, background/proof documents for my tourist visa, student visa, green card application, removal of conditionals and citizenship application.

Now comes the question. For how long should I keep (and if I should keep) all these documents? Something tells me to treat it like my tax returns, and keep it for at least 3 years. Which means that my old tourist and student visa documents should be long gone by now.

I always felt scared about having so many of these documents/paper with my whole life and important information on them. I would feel more secure if I had it all burned or shredded.

How long are you keeping (or planning to keep) all your immigration paper trail history?

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After 8 years of dealing with USCIS, I am a owner of boxes with copies of all my applications, receipts, letters, background/proof documents for my tourist visa, student visa, green card application, removal of conditionals and citizenship application.

Now comes the question. For how long should I keep (and if I should keep) all these documents? Something tells me to treat it like my tax returns, and keep it for at least 3 years. Which means that my old tourist and student visa documents should be long gone by now.

I always felt scared about having so many of these documents/paper with my whole life and important information on them. I would feel more secure if I had it all burned or shredded.

How long are you keeping (or planning to keep) all your immigration paper trail history?

Just keep it!

I started my "stack" back in 1995 with an E-2 visa. I finally became a USC in 2008. I wasn't in any hurry but finally decided it was a good idea. Then, of course, I meet an Canadian girl and I start all over again. It was extremely helpful to find my old G325 so I didn't have to go remembering stuff. I just had to update it for a few years.

I also remember when I went for my naturalization interview that the USCIS person had the complete stack of every piece of paper I'd ever sent to them on her desk. I'd hate for a future petition I file to not match up exactly with what she already has. This wouldn't be through anything insidious like fraud, but just by my getting older and not being able to remember things.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I don't keep the tax returns as regularly because I know I can call and order a transcript if I need it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Boxes and boxes? Wifes' and stepdaughter complete immigration papers are a stack only about six inches thick. Could go through those and get rid of all the duplicates for a stack more like 2" thick if I am bored. But have no intention of dumping them.

Did hear something about being checked within two years after your oath ceremony, but not entirely sure about that. Could just keep all the letters from the USCIS, that would be a very thin stack. Already burnt a couple of CD's with all of our immigration data on them. But then, CD's may become obsolete.

I was so angry after my divorce, pitched the entire file when I got home, but after I cooled down, stored that, needed that some eight years later to marry this wonderful woman I got. Could have pitched my service records, was told I could not get GI benefits because of a fire in St. Louis, even though I had all of the original records. Another time I was very angry. But they corrected that and sure needed those records to get VA benefits.

Just saying, you never know. But I don't believe you have boxes and boxes of that stuff. Should all fit in a large brown envelop, just in case.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Haven't given much thought about what to do with the documents but I did take that darn civics disc out of my car cd player. LOL

LS

08.15.2005 Mailed I-129F USPS

01.11.2006 P.O.E Seattle. Welcome to the U.S.A.

02.10.2006 Married

AOS Journey

03.27.2006 I-485 Mailed

08.21.2006 Green Card Arrivesl

11.19.2006 Emma is born

Removing Conditions

07.07.2008 I-751 Mailed

04.30.2009 Date of Decision: Approved

05.14.2010 Lilly is born

Citizenship: The Final Chapter

10.26.2010 N-400 Mailed

11.02.2010 NOA

11.05.2010 Biometrics Letter

11.10.2010 Biometrics Completed (walk-in)

04.13.2011 Interview

04.13.2011 Oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just saying, you never know. But I don't believe you have boxes and boxes of that stuff. Should all fit in a large brown envelop, just in case.

Thanks for the inputs. I actually HAVE 2 of those crates for hanging folders with documents, which includes all letters from USCIS and supporting documents copies as well (I would keep a copy to match exactly what I submitted, just in case they would lose my package and I would need to send it again). And during my green card application, I didn't really know about "transcripts", so I printed our full tax return which was pretty thick. And all copies of my husbands'paychecks. For my student visa, I had copies of loan documents, registration, official translations of my Brazilian documents, etc.

Yes, I do need to go through and sort things out, but do I really need to keep every single NOA and receipt even from 8 years ago?

When you live in a place where space is limited, I would appreciate downsizing my USCIS document package.

As for tax, I keep all my business related receipts and documents. As I work as a Consultant, I can itemize so just a transcript wouldn't help me if (knock on wood) I would undergo an audit. So I was advised to keep the tax related documents for up to 5 years.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Just keep it!

:thumbs:

But have no intention of dumping them.

Did hear something about being checked within two years after your oath ceremony, but not entirely sure about that. Could just keep all the letters from the USCIS, that would be a very thin stack. Already burnt a couple of CD's with all of our immigration data on them. But then, CD's may become obsolete.

Could have pitched my service records, was told I could not get GI benefits because of a fire in St. Louis, even though I had all of the original records. Another time I was very angry. But they corrected that and sure needed those records to get VA benefits.

:thumbs::thumbs:

As for tax, I keep all my business related receipts and documents.

:thumbs:

Be Shrewd! Be Astute and be aware who's watching ya!

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm so organized, you'd call me ####### retentive and you'd be right.

I have a vintage Steelcase steel cabinet in my house. It has 4 drawers, and the top drawyer contains the most important documents.

One folder says "SSA," one "DMV," another one "Passports," and then there's one labeled "USCIS."

I've been feeding it since 1986, so it contains even my tourist visa extention, my Green Card Lottery win envelope, my AOS, ROC, and Naturalization. In all its neatness, it only consumes one of these harmonica-style hanging files, and it's all in chronological order. It's possible that I at some point slim it down more, perhaps even get rid of most of the documents, but not anytime soon.

The least you should hang on to your stuff -- not boxes, but the important documents, for at least 2 years. Why? Because during this time period USCIS can undo your naturalization with the strike of a pen, without any involvement of a judge. Since you never know when the fates are going to kick you in the stomach, you need to know what paperwork they have from you and on you. After 2 years, you can decide to burn all of these documents if you like.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We have everything since we first met. We even have an old empty pack of gum we got in Canada first time we met lol.

I would not destroy them. For 2 reasons: they are documents that one day were very important in your life. And second is because it's history. Your history.

You could make a little room for them and sometimes go through them and bring yourself some memories. It's like a trip to the past on documents and proof. :lol:

We have a lot of pages of our conversation via MSN while waiting for K-1. I was reading them these days. Felt so good for having them. :luv:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Timeline

Thanks for the inputs. I actually HAVE 2 of those crates for hanging folders with documents, which includes all letters from USCIS and supporting documents copies as well (I would keep a copy to match exactly what I submitted, just in case they would lose my package and I would need to send it again). And during my green card application, I didn't really know about "transcripts", so I printed our full tax return which was pretty thick. And all copies of my husbands'paychecks. For my student visa, I had copies of loan documents, registration, official translations of my Brazilian documents, etc.

Yes, I do need to go through and sort things out, but do I really need to keep every single NOA and receipt even from 8 years ago?

When you live in a place where space is limited, I would appreciate downsizing my USCIS document package.

As for tax, I keep all my business related receipts and documents. As I work as a Consultant, I can itemize so just a transcript wouldn't help me if (knock on wood) I would undergo an audit. So I was advised to keep the tax related documents for up to 5 years.

Letters from the USCIS? One for AOS biometrics, one for AOS appointment, one for conditional green cards, one for NOA and one year extention, one for biometrics, one for ten year card, one for NOA for citizenship, one for biometrics, one for appointment, and one for the oath ceremony, but they took that one back, but still have it scanned. That totals nine thin letters, but since I also got a stepdaughter out of this deal, makes 18. Laid flat that's a stack 1.25 mm thick, can find space for that.

Tax returns went back in my tax records, have file for my wife for all of her personal papers, that includes her divorce papers, same with me. Home deed went back into that file along with the joint vehicle titles, we just have insurance cards that went back into our wallets, banking papers went into that file, so that doesn't leave very much for immigration, just basically copies of all the forms we filled out. Since we sent cover letters that state the enclosed evidence, easy enough to dig that out, didn't do one for my stepdaughter, just a copy of her green card went with that.

Suppose I could pitch her court ordered letter of permission, that became obsolete when she turned. But that cost me $3,000.00 USD to get that. Put 30 one hundred dollar bills in my sock and went down to Venezuela and sold those on the black market for five times the exchange value. Using the fair exchange rate, would have cost me $15,000 for those crooked attorneys and judges in Venezuela. Maybe I can sell that letter of permission on ebay.

After even a year that my wife got her US citizenship, was still compiling evidence, but mental therapy helped me get over that. Think they call that post traumatic stress.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, If i am in ur shoes i will just keep them, who knows.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have a small Fire safe file in our closet. I keep immigration stuff (x 2 because of my daughter) filed for each process (K1, AOS, ROC and now N400). I got rid of envelopes and extra junk. Just by personal habit, I keep our passports, birth certs, SSN cards, tax returns etc neatly filed and labeled. It just makes me feel better that I can retrieve them when I need them.

The amount is not particularly large though. I decontructed the additional set of copies of evidence once I received whatever it was. For example...I didn't keep letters from the bank amd my husband's employer back in 2005 for the K1, just kind of irrelevant now. I got rid of most of the ROC evidence (bills etc) once it was done.

I love my shredder!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

We have a small Fire safe file in our closet. I keep immigration stuff (x 2 because of my daughter) filed for each process (K1, AOS, ROC and now N400). I got rid of envelopes and extra junk. Just by personal habit, I keep our passports, birth certs, SSN cards, tax returns etc neatly filed and labeled. It just makes me feel better that I can retrieve them when I need them.

The amount is not particularly large though. I decontructed the additional set of copies of evidence once I received whatever it was. For example...I didn't keep letters from the bank amd my husband's employer back in 2005 for the K1, just kind of irrelevant now. I got rid of most of the ROC evidence (bills etc) once it was done.

I love my shredder!

They never asked us to return those two year cards, so also in the file, but did take both ten year cards, was glad to see those go. Did dump those AR-11 forms, tore those in little pieces, but for some strange reason, kept the I-864. Waiting to go camping, so I can legally burn that. Or maybe I will just tear it up into tiny little pieces and flush it down the toilet.

I'm so organized, you'd call me ####### retentive and you'd be right.

I have a vintage Steelcase steel cabinet in my house. It has 4 drawers, and the top drawyer contains the most important documents.

One folder says "SSA," one "DMV," another one "Passports," and then there's one labeled "USCIS."

I've been feeding it since 1986, so it contains even my tourist visa extention, my Green Card Lottery win envelope, my AOS, ROC, and Naturalization. In all its neatness, it only consumes one of these harmonica-style hanging files, and it's all in chronological order. It's possible that I at some point slim it down more, perhaps even get rid of most of the documents, but not anytime soon.

The least you should hang on to your stuff -- not boxes, but the important documents, for at least 2 years. Why? Because during this time period USCIS can undo your naturalization with the strike of a pen, without any involvement of a judge. Since you never know when the fates are going to kick you in the stomach, you need to know what paperwork they have from you and on you. After 2 years, you can decide to burn all of these documents if you like.

just Bob,what do you mean that USCIS can undo your naturalization and then without the involvement of a judge??? Never heard of such, except of course, for criminal acts,right? please explain. thx.

Timeline

just Bob,what do you mean that USCIS can undo your naturalization and then without the involvement of a judge??? Never heard of such, except of course, for criminal acts,right? please explain. thx.

Some odd 5,000 cases I found on the web for people that received their certificate are being questioned. Seems like this can go on for about two years after you receive your certificate. Feel some of these problems can be name mix ups. With my stepdaughters battery charge with a very common Spanish name, think there are only five different Spanish surnames, I typed in her first and last name in quotes on google and came up with 83,000 hits. Many of these people with the same first and last name were criminals perhaps the reason for the mix up. But when I typed in her first middle and last name and birthday, only came up with one, and it was her.

Have to remember we are dealing with government employees that seem to be more interested in the many paid vacation days they get and early retirement. With our applications, typical for us to go through these at least five times to make damned sure everything is accurate. At least my wifes' maiden last name was a rare German name, and my last name is a rare Italian name. But still can expect problems with my stepdaughter, suggest she take this opportunity to change her last name, but was her decision. She could have used her mom's maiden name without problems. See what happens.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We actually have a huge plastic container full of papers, starting from the K-1 stage. That alone was alot - pages and pages of pictures printed out (9 to a page), pages and pages of IM, phone bills,... you name it. I've just been piling each new stage of paperwork up on top. Not only am I sentimental, but I honestly don't have the time to sit there and sort through it and decide what to keep. Even if I wanted to get rid of all of it, it would take forever to shred it all. I did look through it a little recently for some things for him to take to his interview. I don't plan to do anything with any of it for a long time, even after he finally gets his citizenship. We have room for it, and it's sitting there, happily, in its little spot in the basement.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.