Thomas J

VIC Police Check

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, I'm starting to look into police checks in VIC for my fiancee. They only have one form but it has two selections. One is a "National Name Check" which is $32.50 and the other is the "National Name Check and Fingerprint Records Search" and is $134. I'm having trouble seeing where it says what kind of police check she will need for the interview. Help would be great. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

For a K-1, she needs to have name check and fingerprints.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#vic

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead".

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

30.09.10 - Filed I-129F

06.10.10 - Routed to CSC/NOA1 email

09.10.10 - Cheque cleared

07.10.10 - NOA1

14.10.10 - Touch

15.10.10 - Touch

16.01.11 - Applied for Police Record (NSW)

02.02.11 - Received Police Record (Took 17 days)

10.02.11 - Medical (Received results 6 days later)

22.03.11 - NOA2 (166 days/5.5 months)

25.03.11 - NVC Rec'd

29.03.11 - Left NVC

05.04.11 - Packet 3

05.04.11 - Returned Packet 3

11.04.11 - Packet 4 (Original interview scheduled for 10.05.11 - requested earlier appointment with success!)

12.04.11 - Interview APPROVED!

21.04.11 - VISA in hand!

26.04.11 - POE LAX

04.05.11 - Marriage

AOS TIMELINE

11.05.11 - Filed I-485/EAD/AP

14.05.11 - NOA1

27.05.11 - Walk-in Biometrics completed (originally scheduled for 10.06.11)

08.06.11 - Interview date notice received

11.07.11 - EAD/AP card production ordered (58 days)

14.07.11 - AOS Interview APPROVED!!!(61 days)

18.07.11 - EAD/AP card in hand (65 days)

22.07.11 - GC in hand!!! (69 days)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

G'day....

Go look up the Federal Police Check....its CHEAPER...and accepted....just takes 30 days rather than the 2 weeks....

You do need the fingerprint check done....in QLD it cost me around 100 bucks I think...where as the fed police one is only 50 bucks....

you can look up the info under australian federal police check and theres also a 1800 phone number where you can call them....their forms can be printed from on line and faxed through....

Just tell them you need the checks from the immigrate visa's....they know all about them as they do them all the time....

I guess it just depends how much time you got to get it done.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
G'day....

Go look up the Federal Police Check....its CHEAPER...and accepted....just takes 30 days rather than the 2 weeks....

You do need the fingerprint check done....in QLD it cost me around 100 bucks I think...where as the fed police one is only 50 bucks....

you can look up the info under australian federal police check and theres also a 1800 phone number where you can call them....their forms can be printed from on line and faxed through....

Just tell them you need the checks from the immigrate visa's....they know all about them as they do them all the time....

I guess it just depends how much time you got to get it done.

Victoria actually does the Federal Police check, they don't have their own special one. If you go to the Vic site here: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274 leads you to the National police check (NPC) done by Fed Police. I'm not sure where you're getting your fee list from. Here is where the NPC info is: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx and if you click on fees it's the $105 one because you get the prints done by Vic Police.

Where are you getting your info from?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Victoria actually does the Federal Police check, they don't have their own special one. If you go to the Vic site here: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274 leads you to the National police check (NPC) done by Fed Police. I'm not sure where you're getting your fee list from. Here is where the NPC info is: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx and if you click on fees it's the $105 one because you get the prints done by Vic Police.

Where are you getting your info from?

I can't edit this topic. It's supposed to say Vic does link the Fed Police check if you want but they have their own special one.

It's cheaper with Vic Police but cost is irrelevant really. Just do the Vic Police one. Simple as but you NEED fingerprints.

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance called the 1300 number to schedule his appointment yesterday. The lady told him that they did not have any appointments in Melbourne for 2 months. She also told him he needs something from the FBI?? He is an Australian citizen,living in Australia. Does anyone have any tips on how to speed this up? Can he really go to any police station? All Australian police stuff says only those 8 locations in VIC. Also, was this lady mistaken about the FBI thing? I have never heard of this...Please Help Us!! This is taking tooooo long.

-Kat

& Cain ---Together since December 13, 2007

It's $137 for a Victorian police check, $145 through the federal police if the federal police take your prints, $105 if you supply the prints. So the Victorian one is cheaper but not by much. The other issue is getting the prints done. If you are in Melbourne you go to the Victoria police customer service centre but you have to make an appointment first. When I called the 1300 number they told me I'd have to wait month, and also she didn't really seem like she knew much about the the check. It sounds like you also got someone who does not know what they are talking about if she was mentioning the FBI. I called the AFP and the wait for a fingerprint appointment would have been even longer (about 3 months). So I called the Victorian police again and spoke to a man who knew exactly what he was talking about, and had a bunch of appointments available for me to choose from the very next day. So I suggest keep calling the 1300 number until you get someone better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.