RK_and_Inday

I-797 Reject Notice: I-129F re-submission procedure?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Today I (RK) received I-797 Reject Notice because I made a date error on check submitted along with I-129F petition. So the rejection was totally my fault but I just want to know proper/recommended procedure for re-submitting to avoid any potential additional errors I might make during resubmission.

The I-129F petitition I had originally assembled and submitted was returned disassembled from the original clips/fasteners I had used and then re-assembled with one large staple through all pages of the packet plus the right hand page of all forms and supporting documents had been stamped.

My specific questions are:

1. Do I/may I resubmit the stamped pages [and with holes in each page because of the staple] or do I have to redo all this?

2. Do I need to re-do cover letter? And if yes, then do I include old cover letter with stamped pages too?

3. What other recommendations/advice do Visa Journey members have which I may not have thought to ask?

Thank you very much for your always welcome assistance…

RK

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Well that sure stinks, and I wish I could tell you it was all an April fools joke! :wacko: I don't have the answer.

I guess they gave you no instructions with the notice form? Do the stamps say anything on them? Its really hard to know, maybe the stamps were just part of the normal process, while disassembling the package? Is there any indication that they want you to return the package as is?

Don't think many people know what to do in this situation and unfortunately I think the service center is closed today so you can't ask them. :(

But then maybe they might be trying to tell you something. I've read that they recommend you package your I-129F to be easily disassembled. They say you should use ICO fasteners (whatever they are) or clips instead of staples, and nothing to make it very bulky. I've seen this somewhere, maybe on the USCS site.

Here's what I did, buy a light, thin 3 ring binder and a one of those packs of 12 or so transparent dividers with pockets. You can put a tab in for each divider with a word or so, on each side describing the contents. You can slide a cover letter in the first pocket and maybe a table of contents describing the contents of the tabs and how many pages. I know this is overboard but in the process I know I have covered everything. You can organize your boarding passes, and receipts on the scanner of your printer. Hand print anything you need to describe them on the pages and put them in one of the divider. The only place you need staples is when you are attaching a sandwich bag to the blank page that will have your passport photos or proof of meeting photos. Etc.

Hopefully you have copies and originals of receipts and things.

Edited by LookyWhatIFound

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That does stink.

I'm not sure either :S What do the stamps say? and what was the date error on the check?

You haven't got the NOA1 right? so they haven't opened your case. I'd send it again as new, unless the stamps say something. We held all our papers together with a big clip and put our pictures in letter size photo sleeves... I have no idea if this is right. Plus I haven't really been any help lol BUT I want to show some support for a fellow March filer.

Rachel

Edited by Mike&Rach

K1 Visa

Mar 28th 2011 - I-129F posted.

Mar 31st 11 - Delivered.

Apr 5th 11 - NOA1 (email).

Apr 8th 11 - NOA1 hardcopy received - dated 4/4/11

June 24th 11 - NOA2 hardcopy received - dated 20/6/11

July 19th 11 - Case number given

Aug 5th 11 - Packet 3 letter received

Aug 13th 11 - Police certificate received

Aug 15th 11 - Medical booked for 22 Aug @ 9.50am

Aug 16th 11 - Packet 3 returned & Visa fee paid

Aug 22nd 11 - Medical complete

Oct 7th - Interview - Approved =)

Nov 14th - POE Chicago

Jan 8th 2012 - Wedding ♥

AOS

Mar 24th 2012 - Package posted to Chicago PO Box

Mar 29th 2012 - NOA1 by email

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Today I (RK) received I-797 Reject Notice because I made a date error on check submitted along with I-129F petition. So the rejection was totally my fault but I just want to know proper/recommended procedure for re-submitting to avoid any potential additional errors I might make during resubmission.

The I-129F petitition I had originally assembled and submitted was returned disassembled from the original clips/fasteners I had used and then re-assembled with one large staple through all pages of the packet plus the right hand page of all forms and supporting documents had been stamped.

1. Do I/may I resubmit the stamped pages [and with holes in each page because of the staple] or do I have to redo all this?

2. Do I need to re-do cover letter? And if yes, then do I include old cover letter with stamped pages too?

3. What other recommendations/advice do Visa Journey members have which I may not have thought to ask?

RK

We had the same misery... wrong amount on the check (430 $ instead of 340 $)...we sended new papers, and we had no problems. You have no casenumber yet so they will treat your petition like a new one. Good luck!

K1:

03/03/11 filed for K1

03/08/11 NOA1

06/06/11 NOA2

07/06/11 pack 3

07/22/11 pack 4

08/04/11 interview

08/10/11 visa in mail

AOS:

11/19/11 POE @ Seattle
12/08/11 Wedding heart.gif
01/11/12 filed for AOS/EAD/AP
01/17/12 NOA 1 (hardcopy)
02/08/12 biometrics
03/21/12 EAD/AP combo-card received // applied for SSN
03/22/12 AOS interview - approved! (after 2 month 11 days)
03/26/12 received "Welcome to the United States"-letter and SSN
03/30/12 GC in hands!!!

ROC:

01/04/14 filed for ROC

01/07/14 NOA 1

02/03/14 biometrics

04/17/14 approved

04/23/14 GC in hands

Citizenship:

02/24/15 BBG approved (permit to retain German citizenship)

04/15/15 N-400 filed

04/21/15 check cashed

04/24/15 NOA1 (priority date 04/16)

05/11/15 biometrics (early walk-in 05/04/15)

05/14/15 in-line for interview

10/17/15 interview letter in mail

11/17/15 interview

11/20/15 oath ceremony

I'm a U.S. citizen!

12/04/15 U.S. passport

Timeline

Well that sure stinks, and I wish I could tell you it was all an April fools joke! :wacko: I don't have the answer...

Hopefully you have copies and originals of receipts and things.

LWIF--Thanks for reponse. Correct, no instructions on notice, no indication to return package “as is” or otherwise. Only a cover letter which includes this statement: “You are invited to resubmit your application package after you have corrected the reasons for rejection.” and which also says “When you resubmit your application, please enclose this letter with your re-submission. Place this letter on top of your aplication package.” The stamps I think are routinely done by someone as they are “pre-viewing” petition to make sure all required documents are present and all forms filled out correctly (found that info using search in old VJ posts). The stamps are each one long line all down right hand side of all pages, just a long series of numbers of which I can make no sense. Yes, I know about the fasteners. In original submission I essentially used dividers with insert tabs, sandwich bag with photos, etc.: very similar to—almost exactly--what you did. Oddly enough the dividers were not returned but my labeled insert tabs had been removed from dividers and returned along with other “pieces and parts” of my original package.

Yes, I absolutely do have copies and originals of all submitted! Mostly now trying do to what is quickest. For example, if the stamped pages indicated some part of the initial process—even if just a preview--was completed, wanted to make sure I could pass through that part ASAP. But perhaps it doesn’t matter. Perhaps any re-submission has to be previewed again to make sure everything is present and correct.

OKay, thank you for verification on your assembly method of I-129F petition, your understanding/empathy, comments and the questions. All is appreciated!!

RK

K-1
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Timeline

That does stink.

I'm not sure either :S What do the stamps say? and what was the date error on the check?

You haven't got the NOA1 right? so they haven't opened your case. I'd send it again as new, unless the stamps say something. We held all our papers together with a big clip and put our pictures in letter size photo sleeves... I have no idea if this is right. Plus I haven't really been any help lol BUT I want to show some support for a fellow March filer.

Rachel

Rachel—Hello, my fellow March filer (and at least I’m hoping I can still be defined as such after this :-) ). Your support is absolutely most welcome and truly appreciated. To answer your questions, stamps are as described in post to LWIF. Date error was that I put wrong digit at end of year which made it a past year, invalidating the check. (And I was so very, verrry careful about everything and looked over submission I don’t know how many times. Don’t know how I could have done that or missed that. Ugh!). About NOA. That confused me too, when the Reject notice was actually on I-797C form which was labeled as “I-797C, Notice of Action.” I looked on some old VJ posts and now my basic understanding is that a Notice of Action (NOA), which is VJ terminology for form I-797C, can be issued for any variety of reasons. One reason of which—is as I inadvertently discovered—is rejection of submitted application. On the I-797C there are a number of boxes one of which is labeled as “Notice type.” So, yes I did receive a NOA, and yes it is a first NOA received by myself but doesn’t seem to be the coveted type of NOA1 as usually referred to as on VJ. But this (Reject) NOA did have a receipt number plus there were those stamps on all the pages. You see the reason for my confusion. Just provided all that extra info to help dispel some of the mystery surrounding various aspects of this process for you and perhaps for whoever might come across this thread later. Nothing like experience and I am sure getting an extra dose of it this go round :-)

Thanks for describing how you put your package together. From my other past post researches here on VJ I think how things are put together in the I-129F, as long as all required info is present, is not a big deal. I have read that the packages are re-assembled anyway by whomever is reviewing. However, I suspect submitting an organized petition is probably appreciated much.

At this point, I am leaning more towards following your recommendation for submitting package as new. I will wait a day or two to see other potential VJ members responses, use the time also to verrrry carefully review all in the petition yet again, then re-submit again ASAP.

Thanks again for your support! It is truly appreciated. Will be seeing you and all the others as we trek down the visa journey road!

RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

RK

Correct the check issue and send it back as is, no other changes needed.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Correct the check issue and send it back as is, no other changes needed.

Exactly. Just the way it is with a new check on the top.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

We had the same misery... wrong amount on the check (430 $ instead of 340 $)...we sended new papers, and we had no problems. You have no casenumber yet so they will treat your petition like a new one. Good luck!

Zara—Thank you for your response. Sorry you ended up in same boat as I, petition reject-wise. I, of course, know how that feels. I am just glad this is something which can be apparently corrected fairly easily and relatively quickly. And I will just consider this a blessing in disguise to go over petition again with fresh eyes to make sure all else is indeed in order. General consensus seems so far as you also advise, to submit as new. Thank you for your response, recommendation, and good luck wishes. Good luck to you as well!!!! Be seeing you down the visa journey road!

RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

Exactly. Just the way it is with a new check on the top.

G & A, pushbrk--Thank you very much for the responses & recommendation. Have previously seen various of your other posts/responses to members here on VJ and your helpfulness is truly appreciated!

RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

LWIF--Thanks for reponse. Correct, no instructions on notice, no indication to return package “as is” or otherwise. Only a cover letter which includes this statement: “You are invited to resubmit your application package after you have corrected the reasons for rejection.” and which also says “When you resubmit your application, please enclose this letter with your re-submission. Place this letter on top of your aplication package.” The stamps I think are routinely done by someone as they are “pre-viewing” petition to make sure all required documents are present and all forms filled out correctly (found that info using search in old VJ posts). The stamps are each one long line all down right hand side of all pages, just a long series of numbers of which I can make no sense. Yes, I know about the fasteners. In original submission I essentially used dividers with insert tabs, sandwich bag with photos, etc.: very similar to—almost exactly--what you did. Oddly enough the dividers were not returned but my labeled insert tabs had been removed from dividers and returned along with other “pieces and parts” of my original package.

Yes, I absolutely do have copies and originals of all submitted! Mostly now trying do to what is quickest. For example, if the stamped pages indicated some part of the initial process—even if just a preview--was completed, wanted to make sure I could pass through that part ASAP. But perhaps it doesn’t matter. Perhaps any re-submission has to be previewed again to make sure everything is present and correct.

OKay, thank you for verification on your assembly method of I-129F petition, your understanding/empathy, comments and the questions. All is appreciated!!

RK

RK - Well maybe its ok to resend everything. That one letter that they want on top might have something on it telling them why the rest of the docs have holes and stamps on them.

Your guess is better than mines, or you can talk to someone at the service center on Monday before you actually send it so you can get their opinion. That said I got the impression in the past, several years ago, that the service center aren't really told a lot of the details of the process.

So like you said it won't make too much difference either way. But they really shouldn't have sent the whole package back for a small error on the check. But its a set system/process and not setup to be able to adapt to minor glitches.

Good luck anyway, but you'll be fine.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Timeline

RK - Well maybe its ok to resend everything. That one letter that they want on top might have something on it telling them why the rest of the docs have holes and stamps on them.

Your guess is better than mines, or you can talk to someone at the service center on Monday before you actually send it so you can get their opinion. That said I got the impression in the past, several years ago, that the service center aren't really told a lot of the details of the process.

So like you said it won't make too much difference either way. But they really shouldn't have sent the whole package back for a small error on the check. But its a set system/process and not setup to be able to adapt to minor glitches.

The most likely "date error" on a check is to use the previous year, making the check not negotiable and it's alteration a felony. As such, rejecting the petition was the only viable option for USCIS.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The most likely "date error" on a check is to use the previous year, making the check not negotiable and it's alteration a felony. As such, rejecting the petition was the only viable option for USCIS.

I wasn't implying using the bad check, but isn't there the possibility of just putting it on hold pending a new check?

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Timeline

LWIF--I understand your points. I think your best point is "But its a set system/process and not setup to be able to adapt to minor glitches." I work in an office myself where there are many frustrations for self, co-workers,and customers because taskings "out of the [established] flow" are not allowed even if less costly and more effective. Oh, well. Again, it was my fault in this case and I accept the consequences (a bit more work) and am using chance to look all over in petition again carefully. At anyrate, hope to re-submit very soon.

RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

I wasn't implying using the bad check, but isn't there the possibility of just putting it on hold pending a new check?

No.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.