santiagoymoca

i cant go to the consular interview, will my spouse be denied?

21 posts in this topic

my wife is scheduled for a consular interview in sdo on may 31 2011 and because of an arrest and pending court date and possible jail time, the govermnemt wont let me out the coutnry to be with her for the intervies. in this case she has to go by herself. will my court case, and me not being able to go to the consular interview be an automatic decline for her visa.she has me as a sponsor and my cousin who with both our income is well over 130k a year. im working now and saving money, what can she do to make her interview a success without me there, thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

my wife is scheduled for a consular interview in sdo on may 31 2011 and because of an arrest and pending court date and possible jail time, the govermnemt wont let me out the coutnry to be with her for the intervies. in this case she has to go by herself. will my court case, and me not being able to go to the consular interview be an automatic decline for her visa.she has me as a sponsor and my cousin who with both our income is well over 130k a year. im working now and saving money, what can she do to make her interview a success without me there, thank you.

Contact the Embassy asap and tell them you will not be able to attend. They might give your wife an open interview so you both can attend, there's nothing she can do to get approved without you present. They strongly recommend the petitioner to attend the interview.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

VERY FEW petitioners attend the interviews at most embassies and are successful. I don't know the requirements at the Dominican Republic embassy tho.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Sorry about your situation. But not attending an Interview in the Dominican Rep Embassy is like Visa Suicide. Both parties must be there!!! Contact the Embassy about your case immediately.

From the Embassy's Website:

I was arrested in the past. What should I do?

If you have ever been arrested for any reason, at any time and in any country, you must tell the consular officer during your immigrant visa interview. Question 31 of Form DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration) and question 38 of Form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application) ask you whether you have ever been arrested. You must answer these questions truthfully, and you must explain the details of your situation.

Bring to your visa interview all documentation concerning any and all arrests, even if the charges were dropped or you were acquitted, pardoned or given amnesty. In addition, you must provide a copy of the statute under which you were arrested and a translation of the statute into English. The consular officer will review the evidence and make a decision as to whether or not you are eligible for a visa.

Does the petitioner have to be present at the Immigrant Visa Interview?

Although it is not required, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy highly recommends that the petitioner appear with the beneficiary for the immigrant visa interview. In order for a consular officer to approve an immigrant visa, he or she must be able to verify the legitimacy of the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary. The quickest and most effective way for the consular officer to do that is to have both parties at the interview to answer questions. Petitioner presence helps provide additional information and clarity regarding the relationship. Petitioner presence is helpful in all cases, but it is especially important in marriage and fiancé cases. It is also helpful for the biological parent and stepparent petitioner to appear together for stepchildren cases (where the biological parent did not receive a spousal visa at the Embassy).

We understand that it can be costly and time consuming for the petitioner to attend the immigrant visa interview, but it can be very beneficial for your case. It is usually sufficient for the petitioner to appear only at the initial interview. If there are any subsequent interviews, we normally only require the principal beneficiary to be present. If the petitioner cannot attend the interview in a marriage or fiancé case, the consular officer will attempt to make an eligibility determination based on the information and relationship evidence provided by the beneficiary. If the consular officer is unable to determine the validity of the relationship, the case may be delayed significantly and in some cases returned to the Department of Homeland Security. The presence of the petitioner at the interview is simply the fastest and most effective way to resolve any questions in the case.

Contact Info:

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/iv-contact-e.html

K1 Visa Process -> 12/09-06/10 Married -> 09/10/10 AOS Process -> 09/10-12/10 Removal of Conditions-> 09/12-07/13

U.S. Naturalization -> 7/8/20

***What To Do After NOA2 (The Dominican Way) Wiki Page:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/dominican_republic_after_receiving_the_noa2/***

i know the ds 230 ask about arrest but thats for the intending immigrant not for the petitioner in this case the petitioner which is me and live in usa have an open case awaiting sentencing. i know it is like visa suicide if i dont go but is there anything else i can do like go to the dominican embassy here in the us and notify them maybe they can do something over the phone?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

i know the ds 230 ask about arrest but thats for the intending immigrant not for the petitioner in this case the petitioner which is me and live in usa have an open case awaiting sentencing. i know it is like visa suicide if i dont go but is there anything else i can do like go to the dominican embassy here in the us and notify them maybe they can do something over the phone?

The DR embassy here in the US can't help. That's the gov't of the DR, not the U.S.

You should make the consulate in Santo Domingo (DR) aware of your situation, offer to be available electronically (phone, email, video, etc.) They probably can't or won't accommodate that but it shows the effort and that you have a real (legal) impediment to traveling to DR. Beyond that, overload your wife with anything and everything you two have that proves the legitimacy of your marriage.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

what is an open interview and in dominican republic it is strongly recommended that we both are present.

Open interview means they will give you up to one year to travel to DR so you both can appear at the same time. and you wont have to wait in line they will instruct you to go to a window once ready.

Open = no specific date during that one year window they give you to appear with your wife.

AOS TIMELINE

Check cashed on 12/26/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

thanks for the info but in my case i wont be able to leave the country for a few years wich suks my kids live out there too and i wont be able to see them grow up, its so depresisng.

Timeline

thanks for the info but in my case i wont be able to leave the country for a few years wich suks my kids live out there too and i wont be able to see them grow up, its so depresisng.

Ok, contact the embassy about your situation, load your wife with evidence of your marriage and relationship together, and fax documents that stated you are not allowed to leave the US, I think its a probation kinda thing.

What did you do? if you don't mind me asking

AOS TIMELINE

Check cashed on 12/26/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate post in CR-1 forum has been removed. This is the correct forum for this discussion and it is not necessary - or helpful - to post the same question in more than one forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Duplicate post in CR-1 forum has been removed. This is the correct forum for this discussion and it is not necessary - or helpful - to post the same question in more than one forum.

i wasnt sure where to put it since its a cr1 visa

i plead guilty to bribery, accepting bribe which is a felony in my case. since i took the plea i would not be charged with conspiracy bulk money transferring lying to a federal ajent and drug trafficking. with drug trafficking my wife would not be able to immigrate here ever on my behalf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.