mikega40

Can I Change Petitioner after I-130 approval?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am US born citizen and married to immigrant wife. She has been here 4 years and 3 months as Green Card holder.

She filed Form I-130 for her 12 year old son, and it has been approved and the process is in Post-Decision Activity.

But we just called NVC and they said there is a back-log of available visa numbers and it may be long time before her son can get his visa number and come to US with us.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to change the Petitioner from her name to mine, since I am a US Citizen and he would be qualified for immediate visa number?

If not, would it be faster to cancel her petition and me (citizen) file a new I-130 ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You cannot change petitioner, but you can file a second petition in your name.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am US born citizen and married to immigrant wife. She has been here 4 years and 3 months as Green Card holder.

She filed Form I-130 for her 12 year old son, and it has been approved and the process is in Post-Decision Activity.

But we just called NVC and they said there is a back-log of available visa numbers and it may be long time before her son can get his visa number and come to US with us.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to change the Petitioner from her name to mine, since I am a US Citizen and he would be qualified for immediate visa number?

If not, would it be faster to cancel her petition and me (citizen) file a new I-130 ?

as stated you cannot change petitioner, but you can file another i130 and later cancel the other petition.

a person can have more than one petition on their behalf.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

QUESTION:

No.

If not, would it be faster to cancel her petition and me (citizen) file a new I-130?

Yes.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You might have to look into it a little deeper before you cancel the ongoing petition and file a new one.

You need to check if you can actually sponsor him, you are not the biological father, so how does that work?

That would be a critical factor for the case to procede, can you file for your wife's son based on your marriage?

Timeline

You might have to look into it a little deeper before you cancel the ongoing petition and file a new one.

You need to check if you can actually sponsor him, you are not the biological father, so how does that work?

That would be a critical factor for the case to procede, can you file for your wife's son based on your marriage?

hey Harsh - he will be able to petition for the child as a step son as listed on the form I-130. The child is eligible as a family member because the union was created before the child turned 18.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

QUESTION:

So, in 6 months she will have 4 years and 9 months of being a GC holder in which she can apply to become a USC. Once she becomes a USC in a couple of months, her son will get a immigrant visa number since her son is an immediate relative.

If You Were an LPR and Are Now a U.S. Citizen: Upgrading a Petition

If you filed a petition for your spouse when you were a lawful permanent resident (LPR), and you are now a U.S. citizen, you must upgrade the petition from family second preference (F2) to immediate relative (IR). You can do this by sending proof of your U.S. citizenship to the National Visa Center (NVC). You should send:

•A copy of the biodata page of your U.S. passport; or

•A copy of your certificate of naturalization

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Timeline

So, in 6 months she will have 4 years and 9 months of being a GC holder in which she can apply to become a USC. Once she becomes a USC in a couple of months, her son will get a immigrant visa number since her son is an immediate relative.

If you filed a petition for your spouse when you were a lawful permanent resident (LPR), and you are now a U.S. citizen, you must upgrade the petition from family second preference (F2) to immediate relative (IR). You can do this by sending proof of your U.S. citizenship to the National Visa Center (NVC). You should send:

http://travel.state....types_2991.html

Also a great suggestion.. good.gif and she can APPLY for the benefit 3 months prior to the 5 years.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

First of all, I want to thank each of you for your very quick responses.

I was expecting an answer in a day or so, but it was literally minutes!

That was awesome. I feel bad for checking a day later and seeing so many responses.

All of your answers were informative.

It sounds like a made a big mistake by assuming the I-130 should be petitioned by my wife/his mother.

I sure wish I would have asked someone with experience.

So, if we let the process continue "as is" and/or until my wife becomes citizen, then were looking at 8 months at very best to get the visa number, but probably a little longer. 10-12 months until he arrives.

OR, if I go ahead and file now, were looking at about 6-8 months to get the visa number.

Does that sound like a good estimate, any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all once again for your help!

Mike

Timeline

First of all, I want to thank each of you for your very quick responses.

I was expecting an answer in a day or so, but it was literally minutes!

That was awesome. I feel bad for checking a day later and seeing so many responses.

All of your answers were informative.

It sounds like a made a big mistake by assuming the I-130 should be petitioned by my wife/his mother.

I sure wish I would have asked someone with experience.

So, if we let the process continue "as is" and/or until my wife becomes citizen, then were looking at 8 months at very best to get the visa number, but probably a little longer. 10-12 months until he arrives.

OR, if I go ahead and file now, were looking at about 6-8 months to get the visa number.

Does that sound like a good estimate, any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all once again for your help!

Mike

I spent a little time, reviewed and find this site is very informative and much more readable than the USCIS site. If I had started here, my wife's son would have been here in a couple more months, rather than what were expecting now of 6++ more months.

The answers to my questions are clearly stated here:

Title: How Do I Bring My Child, Son or Daughter to Live in the United States?

Link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/child

Just a word of advise... Spend as much time as needed to thoroughly research your process before beginning.

It will save you time, money and disappointment.

If your not 100% sure of what your doing, its advisable to spend a little $ to get it done right the first time by someone who knows .

Thank you VisaJourney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.