DavidandIrina

A good Visa company or Law Firm recommendations

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Once again, I will go against the grain and say, if using an attorney will give you added peace of mind then by all means, use one, but don't rely solely on the attorney, double check everything (the site here is useful for that). An attorney won't make your case go more quickly, but the main advantage is if there is a problem then the attorney will be with you through the whole process. You may want to try to find one in the country where your fiancee lives. The big plus is they will have country specific information that a US based immigration attorney may not be aware of and the price should be significantly less. In our case, we are using an attorney in China. The cost was negligable and the peace of mind is priceless for us.

Completly agree with you! I am the same as you are! My case was simple but it gives you peace of mind! PRICELESS!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Because I'm trying to finish up the I-129F quickly (within the next two weeks, and so far so good about collecting documents and preparing translations with an official company), I would like to have a lawyer or some firm assist to make sure we have everything we need and everything is in order. Can anyone recommend some law firms or otherwise online immigration visa help sites that were very good in helping you prepare for the Visa process?

Some of our new friends from this site mentioned they had good luck with www.amerilawgroup.com. Is there any other good immigration lawyer firms that any of you would recommend that are specifically familiar with the Vermont Service Center?

Thank you kindly

David and Irina

It seems to me you are listening to people outside who have no clue, you also have some reading to do, you do NOT need affidavits form friends for your 129f petition just letter of intent from both of you.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a10e4154d7b3d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

We did this process on our own and were approved in 3 months so do it yourself trust me it is not rocket science. And save yourself $$$$ and as some have suggested here lawyers will tell you a lot to make sure they get paid. Read the instructions of 129f from here or USCIS and follow them to the letter. I did not even have this site when we did our 129f and I read and read USCIS and we survived and succeeded.

All 129f are sent to Dallas lock box now and then distributed to the applicable service center.

And just because your fiancee is pregnant does not mean it is going to process any faster or slower.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We did this process on our own and were approved in 3 months so do it yourself trust me it is not rocket science.

Barbara J is right - you don't need a lawyer.

We hired one because we didn't know what we were facing and were overwhelmed. I only found VJ in November and not too long after that we got an RFE for something so small, it's ridiculous neither my brilliant fiance nor our well-paid lawyer caught it. Nevertheless, our lawyer drove 2 hours both ways the next morning to my fiance's place to fix the error. Additionally, while my fiance and I are both at work, several time zones apart, our lawyer is working on another administrative detail for an international police check as well as working to find out why my mailing address is still wrong (when we have written confirmation it was changed in December!) and to get it corrected. We do not need a lawyer to achieve these ends for us, and those who see lawyers as scamming, slimy, lazy toads will probably write me off for being naive and lazy myself, but my fiance and I trust and like our lawyer and we are glad and reassured that he is (really, actually!) working for us. Of course that RFE was avoidable and beyond irritating, but for us, our lawyer has been worth the money.

On a closing note, Barbara's 3 month approval is more likely a result of processing times when she filed (as well as the care and attention she put into preparing her petition, no doubt!) but no one can do anything to cut those times down, though both lazy and mistaken lawyers and confused and careless couples can do plenty to increase them.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I suggest using a lawyer if you can afford it. There are two advantages: 1) Even if your case is very simple just like mine it assures that all the paperwork is in order. Basically, it assures that there is no RFE and all the proof is submitted. More like insurance against RFE if you will.

Not any extra guarantee; their office people can screw it up as easily as you can. You have more of a vested interest than they do.

2) If there is unexpected problem (you never know) during interview the lawyer can get extensions, waivers, etc.

USCs can get the same waivers and extensions.....all it takes is a simple email to the Embassy.

Basically, they will promptly assure that your case is not expired since your NOA2 approval is valid for 4 months.

Huh? You obviously don't understand the process. Once the Embassy gets your petition, that 4 month NOA2 expiration is meaningless and never used. You need to do your homework. If you had read the VJ Guides and the STickies at the top of this page and the one on the top of the RUB regional forum, you'd know how it works.

I am on the safe side though. I am not claiming that I am right. I always try to play safe. The trick is to find a good lawyer. If you live in San Diego or Southern Cal I can recommend a very good lawyer that is handling my case! NO RFEs or problems!

I'll handle your case for 1/2 the cost any lawyer will want to charge you. You WILL still do all the legwork.

Lawyers can guarantee two things:

1. You'll have less money

2. The overall process will be slightly longer.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I'll handle your case for 1/2 the cost any lawyer will want to charge you. You WILL still do all the legwork.

Lawyers can guarantee two things:

1. You'll have less money

2. The overall process will be slightly longer.

I agree with you that maybe it is not necessary. However, I was impressed how my package was organized. I used a very good lawyer that does everything herself. Very accurately. You just need to make sure that all the information is correct. In fact, while this site is very helpful, you cannot always easily find all the information. In addition, you will never organize in the order which completely reflects your relationship. I am well educated, have PhD, etc. However, I would not be able to gather all the information necessary and organize everything the way she did. In addition, if there is a problem I would not know what to do. I understand that the value of the lawyer is marginal. I am just saying that if you have money to do it without stratching and your personality is like mine when you constantly worry about everything, it is worth it. This is just my opinion. I may not understand the process, you are right. However, it does give me a peace of mind.

Timeline

I may not understand the process, you are right. However, it does give me a peace of mind.

I understand that you are now in your happy place......but.....not having a understanding of the process is NOT the way to begin this. You will have many more interactions with USCIS and leaving all to another person to handle is potentially foolish.

Also more importantly is the process of bringing someone over and sponsoring their life(lives) takes much more organization and personal perserverence than any dealing with USCIS, which is merely the filling out of forms and compilation of easily obtained, common documents. I sure hope for your fiance and children that you've got all that covered. I really do, for their sake.

I understand that you are now in your happy place......but.....not having a understanding of the process is NOT the way to begin this. You will have many more interactions with USCIS and leaving all to another person to handle is potentially foolish.

Also more importantly is the process of bringing someone over and sponsoring their life(lives) takes much more organization and personal perserverence than any dealing with USCIS, which is merely the filling out of forms and compilation of easily obtained, common documents. I sure hope for your fiance and children that you've got all that covered. I really do, for their sake.

Timeline

I am not relying on the lawyer. In fact, I would not advice anyone to rely 100% on the lawyer. Lawyer in this case is just another resource which I believe everyone should use if they can afford it. However, at the same time, having experience with the lawyer and saying that this is a good resource, you do need other resources and check and re-check every single document coming out of the legal office. There are several resources that I am personally using:

1) Government publications (USCIS, etc., most important resource)

2) Lawyer

3) This website

4) Common sense.

On every step I make sure that all 4 are in agreement. You personally give excellent advices on this site. And word "excellent" does not describe how helpful YOU personally are. However, not everyone does. I do read all the time horror stories on VJ about administrative reviews and NOA2 expiring. This is BTW where I got this. If I did not have a lawyer I would be already panicking. And BTW, this is exactly what NOA2 states. 4 months. And the Embassy states that extension is given only in exceptional cases. This is just my opinion.

Timeline

I am not relying on the lawyer. In fact, I would not advice anyone to rely 100% on the lawyer. Lawyer in this case is just another resource which I believe everyone should use if they can afford it. However, at the same time, having experience with the lawyer and saying that this is a good resource, you do need other resources and check and re-check every single document coming out of the legal office. There are several resources that I am personally using:

1) Government publications (USCIS, etc., most important resource)

2) Lawyer

3) This website

4) Common sense.

On every step I make sure that all 4 are in agreement. You personally give excellent advices on this site. And word "excellent" does not describe how helpful YOU personally are. However, not everyone does. I do read all the time horror stories on VJ about administrative reviews and NOA2 expiring. This is BTW where I got this. If I did not have a lawyer I would be already panicking. And BTW, this is exactly what NOA2 states. 4 months. And the Embassy states that extension is given only in exceptional cases. This is just my opinion.

I know that you have all the bases covered; it's just that there really is nothing so hard about the USCIS part of immigration. And, with all the experience from VJ, it should be all with a simple case should need.

And it has been more than vetted out about the non-importance of the NOA2 expiration. Really, that is a non-issue, trust me.

You'll be fine.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If you want uncertainty and your case delayed use an attorney. If you want speed, timeliness, error free do it your self. Also blossoms.com has a visa service for about 6 or 700 bucks. They do a very nice job putting everything together. The put colored tabs on all the forms so you know where to sign. Like other people said if you have real issues concerning your case, you MAY need an attorney. Previous petitions comes to mind.

Blossoms is very fast and efficient service prolly the lowest cost too.

Timeline

If you want uncertainty and your case delayed use an attorney. If you want speed, timeliness, error free do it your self. Also blossoms.com has a visa service for about 6 or 700 bucks. They do a very nice job putting everything together. The put colored tabs on all the forms so you know where to sign. Like other people said if you have real issues concerning your case, you MAY need an attorney. Previous petitions comes to mind.

Blossoms is very fast and efficient service prolly the lowest cost too.

I would disagree. This is where you really get screwed. If there is some point in a lawyer to handle the case if complications arise, $700 is a total waist of money. Lawyer will cost 2x more but at least you are getting legal advice, not some clerks filling our your application. If I had a choice between filling out myself and visa service I would rather do it myself.

If there is some point in a lawyer to handle the case if complications arise, $700 is a total waist of money.

Ph.D?

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I suggest using a lawyer if you can afford it. There are two advantages: 1) Even if your case is very simple just like mine it assures that all the paperwork is in order. Basically, it assures that there is no RFE and all the proof is submitted. More like insurance against RFE if you will. 2) If there is unexpected problem (you never know) during interview the lawyer can get extensions, waivers, etc. Basically, they will promptly assure that your case is not expired since your NOA2 approval is valid for 4 months. I am on the safe side though. I am not claiming that I am right. I always try to play safe. The trick is to find a good lawyer. If you live in San Diego or Southern Cal I can recommend a very good lawyer that is handling my case! NO RFEs or problems!

The VJ website is littered with people that had lawyers and got RFEs. The vast majority of members here used no attorney and got no RFEs. How much is "insurance" worth when the "loss" is a few weeks, tops, for an RFE? Much cheaper insurance is to read the instructions and guides and ask plenty of questions.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:thumbs:

As someone pretty far down the "journey road" I can tell you this is correct. The I-129f is the beginning, the start, the EASY part. This process is going to be a big part of your life for at least the next 4 years. Because of a K-2 to follow, our journey started in March 2008 and will not end until late 2013. The other parts are more complicated, more expensive and require far more documentation than the I-129f. This is something you had better be getting comfortable with. You will have to do the AOS, then the Removal of Conditions (RoC) and each requires much more documentation than the I-129f. In between you have to live your life with a foreign spouse and help her adjust to a new country, new language...just some minor things. Dude, you are gonna be busy! Super busy! Learn it, live it, keep up with it, keep ahead of it.

I cannot begin to tell you that USCIS and this paperwork, as much as there is of it, over and over and over...is not even a gnat's eyelash in the things you have to do with a family of new residents to America.

If you need an attorney now, even if just to "boost your confidence" you are in deep do-do.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.