NycBra

Decision cannot be made at this time

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I read through different topics that a lot of us, myself included, passed the interview but received the form where it says "a decision cannot be made at this time". I know that some cases were due to the timing of application and for not having completed the 3 year or 5 year rule just yet.

But in other instances, like me, they requested additional documentation (background clearance records).

So, who has been on this boat? And how long after passing the interview did you finally receive your oath letter? USCIS claim they have up to 120 days from your interview date to come up with a decision, but that's a heck a lot of time to wait especially if you have already passed the interview and test!

I appreciate those that can share some experience. Thanks!

Edited by NycBra

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Timeline

Hi Szilvia, did they ask you to submit any additional RFE or was it due to timing, or something else?

I already submitted the material they requested, but I have no clue as to in which stage is my approval.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

I read through different topics that a lot of us, myself included, passed the interview but received the form where it says "a decision cannot be made at this time". I know that some cases were due to the timing of application and for not having completed the 3 year or 5 year rule just yet.

But in other instances, like me, they requested additional documentation (background clearance records).

So, who has been on this boat? And how long after passing the interview did you finally receive your oath letter? USCIS claim they have up to 120 days from your interview date to come up with a decision, but that's a heck a lot of time to wait especially if you have already passed the interview and test!

I appreciate those that can share some experience. Thanks!

Like my Sister experience she did pass the civic test & interview.but there is one problem that they cannot made a decision right that time.regardless of her day spend outside United states prior to apply for citizenship.we thought that these Re-entry Permit she has w/ her @the time she spend Outside US we thought it would not be count. Speaking to that letter stated that cannot be made the decision.. which mean.. "Denial Letter" or Denied.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We were lucky to get a letter a week after my stepdaughters' passed interview. The reasons why a decision could not be made were totally outrageous charges like explaining battery charges when she was 17 months old and assault charges when she was four years old. Was easy to prove she never had her drivers' license suspended.

My fellow Wisconsinites voted in this Ron Johnson that took a months vacation and never even set up an office, still hasn't, promises to reduce taxes when he ran a small 127 employee company where many of his employees were on BadgerCare, a state supported health care system, but managed to pocket over 27 million bucks from his slave shop. Met many guys like this of which his spend 15 million bucks of that to get a $180K a year job. But Russ intervened for me with Sen Kohl's office, and within a week, this miscommunication from the USCIS was rectified.

The big thing is knowing why a decision cannot be made, stepdaughter was a bit ignorant to even ask why. Our three previous mishaps with the USCIS were due to "misplaced" applications, one for the AOS, the ROC, and even my wifes' oath ceremony, how can we be so unlucky? But after calling Russ Feigngolds' office, they found them within hours. Since St. Paul held a special oath ceremony for my wife, something they don't do, thought they were going to be nasty to her, but were extremely nice. Was nice to have a senator that was on the budgeting committee for the USCIS.

Believe without this help, we would still be waiting.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for sharing info and experience. Please keep them coming.

In my case, my fingerprints did not "go through", and I had to take biometrics twice, and according to them, both times it did not go through. So they requested background clearance records from all cities I have lived since becoming a resident in the US, which I already did and mailed directly to the Citizenship Branch at the San Francisco USCIS office (as stated in the letter they gave me). But no word as of now. I have to travel abroad in June for a week and I cannot change it, and I am now concerned I won't have my oath in time to get a passport and travel.

Edited by NycBra

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thanks everyone for sharing info and experience. Please keep them coming.

In my case, my fingerprints did not "go through", and I had to take biometrics twice, and according to them, both times it did not go through. So they requested background clearance records from all cities I have lived since becoming a resident in the US, which I already did and mailed directly to the Citizenship Branch at the San Francisco USCIS office (as stated in the letter they gave me). But no word as of now. I have to travel abroad in June for a week and I cannot change it, and I am now concerned I won't have my oath in time to get a passport and travel.

You can still travel with your Green Card, you don't have to be a USC to do so. Decision cannot be made letter is common after an interview specially when a superior has to review your application after your interview. Just inhale and exhale, and be patient.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Yes they sent me the RFE almost right away (within 3 days). I complied...and never heard from them again.

Hi Szilvia, did they ask you to submit any additional RFE or was it due to timing, or something else?

I already submitted the material they requested, but I have no clue as to in which stage is my approval.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have to travel abroad in June for a week and I cannot change it, and I am now concerned I won't have my oath in time to get a passport and travel.

USCIS is not known for its speed. You can travel at anytime during the N-400 process and an absence of a week will not cause any problems at they'll give you plenty of time, too much for most, from one step to the next. Once you get your approval letter, the Oath will most likely be 1 to 2 months away.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Believe with Brazil, like Colombia, where still have to maintain your foreign passport or at least attempt to get a visa to visit. Still highly frustrated on this issue.

Let's hope they didn't misplace your application after you sent it whatever they wanted. Care to share that? Not a joint utility bill I hope. that happened to my wifes' friend, she didn't want to take the USCIS to court, couldn't even afford it, and waited 15 months before her oath letter came in. But after all through all this, she is going back to her home country. Guy she married wanted a free maid for his motel, she can't find a decent job here, and learned our streets are not paved with gold.

She came here on that 90 day wonder K1 visa thing, was a lot more cautious with mine, we dated for over two years before tying the knot. She came here, I went down there to learn we didn't want to live apart. That takes time.

Timeline

I know I can travel before I take the oath using my green card as usual.

I just want to get over with this whole process soon. I am still upset I am getting this unnecessary delay. I have never had any citation, traffic ticket, or any other violation. But they were not able to process my fingerprint twice (strange because all the other 3 times I have done biometrics I never had a problem, including last year). And I had to spend extra money to do their job and get clearance records that show no criminal records. And now I have to wait for someone to remember to look at my file...

I always had a very fast approval case (3 months to get the green card, 2 months for the removal of conditionals) and I am just upset that my final immigration journey (citizenship) I get bumped into this unnecessary delay. I could get my oath in 1, 2, 3 or whatever months from now. If I didn't had this problem, I would have had my oath ceremony on 03/23. I am just very frustrated, thanks for "listening" (reading).

Edited by NycBra

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

Hi sis! I have started gathering the necessary documents for my N-400 and was hoping to get it mailed first week of April. Sorry to hear you're hit by this unnecessary delay. Now I worry about mine too. I'm kind of wondering what the real score is... Anyway, hang in there (easier said than done) and hopefully you'll finally hear from them.

P.S. I would be sooooooooooooooooo upset if I will have to do Biometrics twice. We always have to travel 4 hrs. one way just to do that :(

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

After my interview in December 2009 the officer told me that a decision could not be made and that I'll hear from them within 4 weeks if they need anything from me. Four weeks later I did not hear from them and I scheduled an Infopass with no tangible response. Their reponse was: "case still under review". I made few others Infopasses from then and contacted two congressmen without success. After one year waiting I decided to sue them by filling a mandamus petition in January 2010. 4 weeks after the mandamus they adjudicated on my case and I became a US citizen. As you can see, my case went went by far over the 120 days period. Good luck and don't give up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

NycBra, this happened to my friend too. I talked to her yesterday and they also requested a letter from the police.

And this also happened on my AOS and ROC and of course it will happen on Naturalization. I have problem with my fingerprints, they cannot be processed either. So my biometrics never worked.

So, for people who is counting on having this problem, could we send this letter(s) from the police (certificate of good conduct) before interview or bring it to the interview (in this case not sure if they would be able to make a decision on the same day). But I'm seriously thinking about bringing this certificate to the interview. :sleepy:

Anyways, good luck. I hope you get your Oath Ceremony letter soon. :luv:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Timeline

Hey everyone, fingers crossed for me! I called my Congressman yesterday and his immigration staff was able contact USCIS on my behalf and access my case. I don't know what is their magic touch but the word I got back is "your file has now been reviewed and an oath ceremony scheduled. You should receive your oath letter soon, let us know if you don't receive anything within 2 weeks". I will let you all know when the letter arrives!

To Lisa and Phil: I don't know if you can bring the police records in advance, but it might be worth a try. I know I had to give to the police departments a copy of the paper I received during my interview where it states I need the police records for immigration purpose. I don't know if you can request the clearance records without first getting this paper.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

12/2007 - AOS approved

12/2010 - Submitted N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.