DavidandIrina

My Ukrainian Fiancee JUST got divorced

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't know who to ask for advice, but I want to know that this is ok. In Ukraine, women don't have a lot of rights, so the woman I am applying for a K-1 Visa for WAS married to her cousin. (they lived 6 hours apart, they never saw each other in 2 years, etc) She just got her divorce from him and now I want to apply almost immediately for the K-1. Is this OK or is there typically a waiting period between when the divorce was finalized to when I should apply for my K-1 for my Fiancee.

Everything else is good. We literally talk all day every day for over a year now through Skype, I've gone there to see her twice, we've been engaged for 4 months, I've met her parents and her friends, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

David

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know who to ask for advice, but I want to know that this is ok. In Ukraine, women don't have a lot of rights, so the woman I am applying for a K-1 Visa for WAS married to her cousin. (they lived 6 hours apart, they never saw each other in 2 years, etc) She just got her divorce from him and now I want to apply almost immediately for the K-1. Is this OK or is there typically a waiting period between when the divorce was finalized to when I should apply for my K-1 for my Fiancee.

Everything else is good. We literally talk all day every day for over a year now through Skype, I've gone there to see her twice, we've been engaged for 4 months, I've met her parents and her friends, etc.

David

officially.. no waiting period required... as long as she is free to marry and you have met in person... she can be petitioned for

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As long as you and she are free to marry it's fine. She MIGHT be asked questions about it but proving that she was separated from the guy LONG before the divorce should quell any doubts.

You then just need to prove your relationship but the recent divorce shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

David

You will need to include a copy of the certified divorce decree plus the translation in English. You need to wait to file the K-1 petition until you have this document, plus others, in hand. Other than that, no waiting period.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

These documents that are getting translated into English, do they need to be notarized?

Thank you for the information, this has been very helpful. I've been worried for a while now with regards to if there was a waiting period after her divorce finalizes or not.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

David

it is OK. Alla was divorced for man years before we were engaged but her divorce papers had her name spelled wrong. This concerned her so we took the documents to be changed. we were told to wait "three weeks". Alla pulled out a $20 bill and we were told to wait in the hallway. 20 minutes later they brought us the corrected document. We discovered after we left it was dated THAT DAY. Alla was horrified but I told her it would not matter. It didn't. The "official" divorce paper shows her divorce occurred about 3 days before I sent the petition.

We were never asked a question of any sort at the visa interview or the AOS interview.

if she is divorced, you can file the petition.

These documents that are getting translated into English, do they need to be notarized?

Thank you for the information, this has been very helpful. I've been worried for a while now with regards to if there was a waiting period after her divorce finalizes or not.

Thanks!

No notary needed on translations BUT all translations done by an "official" translator in Ukraine will be notarized because that is Ukraine law.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.