brownskinned

I-765 while on Deportation/Removal Hearing

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Her only (slim) shot at avoiding removal is if she can prove some sort of abuse by the ex spouse. And from what I've seen that's a very slim chance. The K1 rules are pretty straight forward about adjusting status.

Best of luck to your cousin.

She does have some evidences like threats in emails and friends (of her ex) as witnesses and all other stuff.

No she can not work, sorry no EAD. How did she get picked up? Tell her to ask for VD, that will make the rquest for the CR1 a little smoother, but there ise still the over-stay issue.

Oh ok thanks. She got picked up by a boarder patrol on the way to the beach. She doesnt wanna do VD. lol. But thanks for the advice.

Oh ok thanks. She got picked up by a boarder patrol on the way to the beach. She doesnt wanna do VD. lol. But thanks for the advice.

VD is as good as she is going to get, don't let the judge put her in deportation. If this happens, she is looking at $$$$money and lawyers before she will be granted a return visa back to the US.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
She does have some evidences like threats in emails and friends (of her ex) as witnesses and all other stuff.

Then what were the grounds for divorce as listed in her petition?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Emails are not evidence of abuse, these can be forge.

whats VD?

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Emails are not evidence of abuse, these can be forge.

whats VD? Voluntary Departure

That's when the judge gives you a set date to leave and you pay for your own ticket out of the US.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

VD is as good as she is going to get, don't let the judge put her in deportation. If this happens, she is looking at $$$$money and lawyers before she will be granted a return visa back to the US.

If she does VD, will she not receive a 10 year ban in coming back here?

Her lawyer said that if she can prove she came here in good faith (which she did) and of the abuse, then there's a chance that she will be removed from deportation and be granted to process AOS. Is that right?

Edited by brownskinned

I have no idea. It was her ex hubby who divorced her. (which also I think would make the case stronger against her coz she ran away without notifying police of the abuse). So I'm crossing my fingers now for her.

If she does VD, will she not receive a 10 year ban in coming back here?

She will receive the ban, but that's what the waiver for hardship will be for.

Her lawyer said that if she can prove she came here in good faith (which she did) and of the abuse, then there's a chance that she will be removed from deportation and be granted to process AOS. Is that right?

If she didn't file for VAWA before she re-married, then the lawyer is speaking incorrectly. There is a set of guidelines that have been posted here on VJ regarding the filing of VAWA, you should try to find them to review them with your cousin, so she can see her options.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sounds like the attorney (who knows all the facts in this matter) is doing their job and trying to build the most persuasive case possible. It's a long long shot at best.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Sounds like the attorney (who knows all the facts in this matter) is doing their job and trying to build the most persuasive case possible. It's a long long shot at best.

I agree with your statement, but the client needs to know what she is truly up against, because it will be her future that is affected by this long shot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Of course the Attorney going to do their job, isn't she his/her cash flow, I think Attorney loves these kind of cases, They see dollar sign all the way through the departure of the immigrant.

CHA CHING!!!

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

100% agree with Bob.

Also, to reiterate, a K-1 entrant may ONLY adjust his/her status via marriage to the original USC petitioner with her/his co-operation.

Since she's remarried to a USC (and while I'm not sure about the timeline in this case, a quick marriage after divorce is usually regarded as a red-flag) the VAWA route is not an option, IMO.

If your cousin doesn't want to VD, then I am afraid she still doesn't understand the severity of the situation she's in. She has NO basis on which to adjust her status. Whether she leaves voluntarily or deported involuntarily, she is going to have to return to her home-country. The only difference is the number of waivers that will be required should she desire to return to the US. While I have empathy for your cousin (sounds like her first husband was a royal douche-bag) frankly, she should have left once her I-94 expired and her marriage went up in flames.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.