w1331

How to disclose traffic violations on N-400

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The Christian Church interpreted the red hair of woman as a clear sign of witchcraft and consequently burned them on the stake. You were clearly required to disclose this and swore that you would be telling the truth at the interview, so God help you. Not doing so is purgery under oath which is a felony which is a reason to revoke the citizenship.

You got lucky that the I.O. asked you specifically about this and you then disclosed it as required. It's much better, however, and much safer, to disclose it upfront on the N-400 form. Any violation needs to be disclosed in question 16, but not documented.

Since you have problems with that term understand what it really means: you disclose the violation by listing it, but if the fine was under $500 you are not required to bring paperwork about it with you to the interview.

That said, we have had just recently a case here on VJ, where the N-400 process was put on hold after the interview until the applicant submitted a court statement regarding traffic cases. The "no need to document" is but a guideline. An I.O. can ask whatever he or she wants, and the foremost thing they ask for is honesty as this goes straight toward the "good moral character" requirement.

No where in the required evidence have I read to bring in proof of paid traffic violations, but apparently with some IO's or field offices, this is becoming an issue. In like manner they were asking for a joint utility bill a couple of years ago as additional proof you are married. Hard to believe they would even ask for that when you can even show joint ownership of your home, but they did.

It can be settled, but causes a delay in processing, so perhaps better to be prepared, just in case. We got work of that utility bill, just one, and was prepared. Suppose you could dispute this, but that leaves negative feelings against you. So you just do it. With Murphy's law, if you have that proof, they won't ask for it, if you don't, they will. Would have been easy for us to get that before the interview, just wasn't expecting that. But all is fine now after a lot of chasing around.

The Christian Church interpreted the red hair of woman as a clear sign of witchcraft and consequently burned them on the stake. You were clearly required to disclose this and swore that you would be telling the truth at the interview, so God help you. Not doing so is purgery under oath which is a felony which is a reason to revoke the citizenship.

You got lucky that the I.O. asked you specifically about this and you then disclosed it as required. It's much better, however, and much safer, to disclose it upfront on the N-400 form. Any violation needs to be disclosed in question 16, but not documented.

Since you have problems with that term understand what it really means: you disclose the violation by listing it, but if the fine was under $500 you are not required to bring paperwork about it with you to the interview.

That said, we have had just recently a case here on VJ, where the N-400 process was put on hold after the interview until the applicant submitted a court statement regarding traffic cases. The "no need to document" is but a guideline. An I.O. can ask whatever he or she wants, and the foremost thing they ask for is honesty as this goes straight toward the "good moral character" requirement.

I AM A US CITIZEN...

Thanks Bob. for helping bonnerbonner, Hey bonnerbonner i know more than u about this stuff so dont make ppl work the way u want. so plz if u dont know how to help stop doing this. So u said i never read the Instru.? lol. where it says on the Instru. to not mention the traffic tickets?? waiting for ur answer.

I AM A US CITIZEN!!!

I AM A US CITIZEN...

I AM A US CITIZEN!!!

NOT LUCKY... BUT BLESSED....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm glad I came across this. I have just started today with filling out the N-400 and wasn't even thinking of speeding citations! DH got one so I will definitely put that up there. But exactly what proof/documentation do we need? And does he just take that with him to the interview?

Thanks!

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

AND I DID IT HONESTLY.... TO MY OWN (NOT YOUR) INTERPRETATION.... LIKE IT OR NOT... I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW I'M FREE

Well, at least we still have the right to b!tch, even though it doesn't do any good. That right was taken away from my wifes' fellow Venezuelans, people are finding they can land up in prison by saying the wrong thing.

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys, it is good that this topic came up but i am a little bit confused. What should one do if you answer NO to question 16 and then find out that you had some minor traffic record after requesting DMV record. Should you wait till your interview and discuss it with IO then or send them a correction letter in advanced and explain for them?

Hi guys, it is good that this topic came up but i am a little bit confused. What should one do if you answer NO to question 16 and then find out that you had some minor traffic record after requesting DMV record. Should you wait till your interview and discuss it with IO then or send them a correction letter in advanced and explain for them?

Hello, I would also like to hear any insights on how to proceed in this situation.

Naturalization

03/16/2011 - Package sent to Dallas, TX Lockbox

03/22/2011 - Check cashed

03/25/2011 - Received Notice of Acceptance letter

03/31/2011 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

04/20/2011 - Biometrics Appointment done

04/26/2011 - Case forwarded to Local Office

04/30/2011 - Received Interview appointment letter

06/02/2011 - Interview in Albany Field Office -- successful

Petition for Sister in Kuwait

03/27/12 - Mailed I-130- Day 1

03/30/12- NOA1

04/04/12 - Cashed check

US Citizen since June 2nd 2011

1/19/2018   - Sent I-130 package for son in the Philippines

9/26/2018   - Received the Case Number and Invoice Number - NH Field Office

9/27/2018   - Submitted documents online

10/9/2018   - Received a note saying we have an incorrect form, submitted the correct one same day

10/31/2018 - All documents are approved and ready to schedule interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi All.

As We said It Before. Yes it's the best to write it down when u fill the Application.

It will be like. (For Example)

D. Good Moral Character.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer

(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

The Answer Will Be (YES).

Scroll Down.

Why were you arrested, cited, detained or charged? Lets supposed you got a Speeding Ticket.. Write there ... (SPEEDING TICKET).

Date arrested, cited,detained or charged? (mm/dd/yyyy) 01/01/2011

Where were you arrested,cited, detained or charged?(City, State, Country) SAN DIEGO - CALIFORNIA - USA

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge(No charges filed, chargesdismissed, jail, probation, etc.) $250 FINE AND PAID.

Notice, You do not need to submit any Documintations if the Fine was Less than $500 .. Is this the best way to avoid a question "Why you did not write it in the application" Yes there's some people who did not write it there, and they werent asked about it. and there's some people did not write it there and they were asked about it. So as i said to avoid the question. always be honest and do the right thing.

Now according to what u have Checked with Yes. you will be receiving a Yellow Letter from USCIS before u go to the Interview it stated. That you said on ur application u were arrested. and they will ask you to bring some DOC's .. Dont worry about this Notice. Unless you were arrested, then YES you have too. but i am talking about the Tickets.

Good Luck.

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Hi All.

As We said It Before. Yes it's the best to write it down when u fill the Application.

It will be like. (For Example)

D. Good Moral Character.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer

(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

The Answer Will Be (YES).

Scroll Down.

Why were you arrested, cited, detained or charged? Lets supposed you got a Speeding Ticket.. Write there ... (SPEEDING TICKET).

Date arrested, cited,detained or charged? (mm/dd/yyyy) 01/01/2011

Where were you arrested,cited, detained or charged?(City, State, Country) SAN DIEGO - CALIFORNIA - USA

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge(No charges filed, chargesdismissed, jail, probation, etc.) $250 FINE AND PAID.

Notice, You do not need to submit any Documintations if the Fine was Less than $500 .. Is this the best way to avoid a question "Why you did not write it in the application" Yes there's some people who did not write it there, and they werent asked about it. and there's some people did not write it there and they were asked about it. So as i said to avoid the question. always be honest and do the right thing.

Now according to what u have Checked with Yes. you will be receiving a Yellow Letter from USCIS before u go to the Interview it stated. That you said on ur application u were arrested. and they will ask you to bring some DOC's .. Dont worry about this Notice. Unless you were arrested, then YES you have too. but i am talking about the Tickets.

Good Luck.

Edited by bonnerbonner

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

FYI - IN THE DECEMBER THREAD, SOMEONE (KWELI) ASKED HER IO IF SHE WAS RIGHT IN DISCLOSING HER TRAFFIC TICKETS, THE IO'S RESPONSE.... "WE DONT CARE ABOUT TRAFFIC TICKETS". I REST MY CASE!!!

So they dont care about traffic ticket even if its over a $500?? i spoke with one who got a ticket wich it worth a $800 . so he should not to disclose it? it's clear on the Instuction. when it says unless $500..

Well Well Well.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

I had my interview yesterday Bloomington, MN , and I asked the Immigration Officer if I was right to mention my traffic tickets in the application, he said: "We don't care about traffic tickets".

K1

May 21st 2006: Entered the USA on a K1 visa

July 2nd 2006: Marriage ceremony

Oct 10th 2006:Received Green Card

REMOVING CONDITIONS

August 12th 2008: Sent I 751 to CSC

Dec 5th 2008: Green Card in the mail

NATURALIZATION

Dec 4th: Sent N 400

March 18th: Interview

May 24th 2011: Oath in Minneapolis. Journey is over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

But you still HAVE to answer the question about whether you have been arrested, stopped, charged or fined even if you do have a traffic ticket honestly - because you HAVE been arrested, stopped, charged and/or fined. To answer NO is misrepresentation and opens you up to a whole slew of unwelcome possibilities. No, USCIS doesn't 'care' about traffic tickets in the effect of it makes no impact on a decision about your application. They DO care about misrepresentation. If you have lied about this, then what else have you lied about? That is how they think.

The surest route to safety is to respond honestly - YES - and then list the reason 'traffic offense' and the details, knowing that it will have no impact on a decision related to your citizenship application. For additional safe travel through the process, bring along any evidence you might have - receipts for paid tickets, etc. to the interview. It is very unlikely you will be asked to show them - but do you want to deal with a delay of having no decision made on your application while they wait for you to bring them back? It has happened to others. You will not know what to expect from your adjudicator - some tend to be real 'sticklers' and others more understanding. It is always best to be prepared to deal with the 'sticklers' and be pleasantly surprised, rather than to prepare for 'more understanding' and be unpleasantly surprised.

So - DO NOT LIE. If you have been arrested, detained, charged, fined, whatever - even if it is for a traffic ticket - then answer 'yes'. You do not have to submit documentation about it with the application unless the traffic fine is more than $500. If the incident is non-traffic related - even if the fine is $10 - then you need to submit the documentation with the application.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT TRAFFIC TICKETS IF THEY ARE UNDER $500.00.... I REST MY CASE AGAIN

I'm sure what you say it's correct. I.O.s are people too and thus they are seeing things differently.

Now all you have to tell the others how to avoid getting their case adjudicated by an I.O. who does care, and I wouldn't mind you giving illegal advice. But since I doubt you can do that, I suggest you really rest your case by not posting anymore on this issue.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.