FormerBrit

Very confused - dual US/UK wanting to work in the UK

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a dual UK/US national. I got US citizenship back in 2009. A couple of questions:

1) When I enter the UK, which passport do I use for travel? I thought it was the US one, but then I would enter the UK as a US citizen. This leads on to my second question....

2) I have a job opportunity back in the UK. Can I still work there?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You leave the US on your US passport and you enter the UK (and leave) on your UK passport. You are entitled to work because of your UK passport but you need to have a National Insurance Number. If you don't already have one check out the website for the JobCentre Plus to find out about how to get an NI number. Your future employer may also be able to help you with that.

Thank you! I have both National Insurance and National Health numbers since birth as I was born, went to school/university and lived in England until I was 25. I even have an old P45. Maybe I need to get a new one?

So at departure check-in the US, I use my US passport...upon arrival in the UK I use my British passport to enter....then when leaving, at check-in in the UK I use my British passport and then upon arriving back in the US I hand over my US passport? Is that correct?

I was unsure about the check-in parts because I was not sure if the info the airline manifest has, has to match what you hand over. I phoned the UK embassy and they told me I needed a visa to work! So I'm kind of confused.....

Filed: Other Timeline

In the New World, you are an American. In the Kingdom, you are a Brit.

Complicated? I mean . . . really?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You will leave the US on your UK passport as you will be required to prove that you don't need a visa. I know this to be true from personal experience.

Basically in the UK it's like you never got US citizenship. Everything for you is exactly the same. You have the same rights and responsibilities.

Timeline
Thank you! I have both National Insurance and National Health numbers since birth as I was born, went to school/university and lived in England until I was 25. I even have an old P45. Maybe I need to get a new one?

So at departure check-in the US, I use my US passport...upon arrival in the UK I use my British passport to enter....then when leaving, at check-in in the UK I use my British passport and then upon arriving back in the US I hand over my US passport? Is that correct?

I was unsure about the check-in parts because I was not sure if the info the airline manifest has, has to match what you hand over. I phoned the UK embassy and they told me I needed a visa to work! So I'm kind of confused.....

Nope. Basically whenever you leave a country you need to prove that you have permission to enter the country you're travelling to. So when you leave the UK for the US you would show your US passport, when you leave the US for the UK you show UK passport. When you enter the UK you show UK and vice versa.

The problem is the US has this thing about showing your US passport when leaving/entering the US so you might need to show the US and then show the UK to prove your eligibility to enter. It's a bit convoluted in my opinion but that's the price we pay.

In my experience I left using that country's passport and entered with the UK passport. Then returned on the original passport. Here are a couple of links for you:

British Expats - Which Passport to Use

Dual Citizen - Leaving/Returning The specific info is halfway down the page labelled "In America/In Your Native Country".

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

You will leave the US on your UK passport as you will be required to prove that you don't need a visa. I know this to be true from personal experience.

That would be illegal, plain and simple. US citizens are required by law not only to enter but to leave the US with their US passport. Period.

US citizens do not need a visa to enter the Ukay.

Here some interesting read from the U.K.'s persepective:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
That would be illegal, plain and simple. US citizens are required by law not only to enter but to leave the US with their US passport. Period.

US citizens do not need a visa to enter the UK.

Here some interesting read from the U.K.'s persepective:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states

No they don't need visas but they need proof they've registered for the VWP.

If you look here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country.

Most people seem to think that means when you ARRIVE in the country you show that passport, that would be true if the airlines didn't require PROOF that you can enter the country you're travelling to.

When you try and catch a plane to Germany try not showing your German passport and see what happens. I've been dual my entire life (UK/Aus). When leaving the UK I HAVE to show my Aussie passport or they wouldn't let me board a plane to Australia, and the same when I travel to the UK, MUST show my UK passport to prove I have eligibility.

I did clarify further that to comply with US requirements you might need to flash the US one, perhaps at security checkpoints or whatever, but to get your tickets you MUST show the airline your passport with proof. In the OP's case they would show the UK passport to the airline.

Getting your tickets and passport control are 2 different things - ticket agents are concerned about your eligibility to travel to a country because the airline could be fined if you have to be sent pack at POE of your destination. If the OP showed his US passport for a 2 week trip to the UK, the ticket agent would likely be unconcerned because he is allowed to do that under VWP. If he had a one way ticket, they would want to see proof that he was allowed to stay.

90day.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.