kels1787

fiance's child

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I am putting together documentation to send the I-129F packet. I have written my fiance's daughter's name where it asks for children of fiance. Is there any additional information or documentation required at this point for her to have the possibility of a K2, aside from putting her name on the form?

Gracias

We didnt include my daughter's BC and 2x2 pic in our 129F when we sent it :( but we put her name on the form.

OMG!!! should I panic???

Edited by Jay & Cici

We never get tired of reminding each other that our love is stronger than anything else..Jay&Cici

-----------------------------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No - all that is needed at the filing stage is the name on the I-129F form.

I can't say it better then this user did -

If the K1 petition is approved then the K1 applicant will be eligible to apply for a visa. A child of the K1 applicant will automatically become eligible to also apply for a visa. A K2 is a "derivative" visa, meaning eligibility is "derived" from the K1's eligibility.

The child applies for a K2 visa using basically the same process as the K1. Some of the forms may not be the same. For example, K1's might have to submit a DS-156K, but the K2 wouldn't need to submit this form. The K2 will need to have a medical, pay the visa fees, and may also need to attend the interview, depending on the age of the K2. You'll usually get instructions from the consulate about what forms and documents will be required for the K2.

In addition to the visa forms and fees, you'll also need to provide evidence proving the parental relationship between the K1 and K2. At some consulates this is as simple as the child's birth certificate listing the K1 as one of the parents. In countries where a birth certificate can be obtained by nefarious methods (like paying off a government official) you'll need substantially more evidence, like photos of the parent and child at different stages of the child's life, school or church records, or any other documents that only a parent would have.

If the child is under 18 at the time of the interview then you'll probably also need a quit claim from the non-immigrating parent giving permission for the child to permanently immigrate to the United States. In some countries the custodial parent has absolute physical and legal custody, and no separate quit claim will be required. Again, you'll usually get instructions from the consulate about their requirements.

By the way, the main reason it's important to list all children of the K1 on the I-129F is so that the consulate knows that the petitioner is aware of the beneficiary's children, and also aware they will derive eligibility to apply for a visa when the petition is approved. If you don't list the children on the I-129F then the consulate might presume the beneficiary is trying to pull a fast one on the petitioner, and the petitioner might not know the beneficiary has kids who will be eligible for a visa.

K-1 Visa Process:

Feb 28th: Sent off petition

Mar 8th: E-NOA1 notification

Mar 14th: NOA1 hard copy

June 6th: E-NOA2 notification

Dec 13th: Medical

Dec 13th: Interview (APPROVED!!)

Dec 22nd: Received Visa's - wrong gender on son's visa :(

Thank you for your reply. We are currently waiting for our NOA2. I hope I am getting this correctly, so while waiting, we cant do anything about the K2 until our K1 is approved right?

We never get tired of reminding each other that our love is stronger than anything else..Jay&Cici

-----------------------------

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I am putting together documentation to send the I-129F packet. I have written my fiance's daughter's name where it asks for children of fiance. Is there any additional information or documentation required at this point for her to have the possibility of a K2, aside from putting her name on the form?

Gracias

The I-129F calls for more than just a name but if you provide all the information the form requests, that's all for now. The suggestion to include a birth certificate and 2X2 photo is wrong for the child of a K1 beneficiary.

her childs Birth certificate and her 2x2 picture

This is wrong. Dead wrong.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

her childs Birth certificate and her 2x2 picture

Wrong.......what the OP listed is all one does...at this stage.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.