toolinchains28

Which is faster? Petitioning child as a US Citizen or Permanent Resident?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Is it better to petition unmarried children over 21 if you are a US citizen or a permanent resident? How long is it gonna be if you're a US citizen and how long if you're a permanent resident?

I'm just confused when I checked the processing times for California Service Center. I have the information below. It doesn't makes sense that permanent resident appears to be faster when it comes to petitioning children over 21. Or maybe I just don't understand the processing timeframe. Please help.

Classification or Basis for Filing: U.S. citizen filing for an unmarried son or daughter over 21

Processing Timeframe: September 27, 2007

Classification or Basis for Filing: Permanent resident filling for an unmarried son or daughter over 21

Processing Timeframe: May 7, 2010

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Actually in some cases being an LPR gets visa for older son/daughter that for citizens, sometimes this does not make sense.

Is the worse for persons from the Philippines.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

which country are they from?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

which country are they from?

That is the crux.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Is it better to petition unmarried children over 21 if you are a US citizen or a permanent resident? How long is it gonna be if you're a US citizen and how long if you're a permanent resident?

I'm just confused when I checked the processing times for California Service Center. I have the information below. It doesn't makes sense that permanent resident appears to be faster when it comes to petitioning children over 21. Or maybe I just don't understand the processing timeframe. Please help.

Classification or Basis for Filing: U.S. citizen filing for an unmarried son or daughter over 21

Processing Timeframe: September 27, 2007

Classification or Basis for Filing: Permanent resident filling for an unmarried son or daughter over 21

Processing Timeframe: May 7, 2010

Thank you in advance.

The petition processing time is pretty much the same. The bulk of the delay comes from waiting for the priority date to become current. These visa categories are rationed, and there are already people in line waiting for them. There's also a 7% cap on visas in any category from any one country. Beneficiaries in countries that are oversubscribed (i.e., have a very long waiting line) have to wait longer.

For most countries, the wait right now is about 6 years for a US citizen petitioner, and about 8 years for an LPR petitioner. It's longer, but reversed, for a beneficiary in the Philippines because of the length of the waiting list and the number of available visas in each category - about 16 years for a US citizen petitioner and about 11.5 years for an LPR petitioner.

These wait times are always changing. During the height of the recession the wait times were rapidly shrinking because a lot of people weren't following through and applying for a visa when their priority dates became current.

You can keep up with the current wait times by checking the current visa bulletin:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

They're coming from the Philippines.

They're coming from the Philippines.

Then Citizenship has a 5 year drawback in this case.

Unmarried Son/Daughter Age 21+ of Citizen Dec1994

Unmarried Son/Daughter Age 21+ of LPR Aug 1999

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.