silvana.toma

Placement Test vs. SAT

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I started studying math about a month ago, as i would like to get into the nursing program this fall. The comunity collage I am applying to told me i have to pass a placement test. I have been studying from the SAT book, and i have to say..english is not hard at all, but math is a different story..(geometry for me might as well be chinese language :lol: )

SO do you guys have any ideea if the placement test is as hard as the SAT? I want to get a really good score because i want to make sure I get into the nursing program...so i will play safe and keep on studying from the SAT book, but i just wanted to know what's the difference between the two.

Tx guys!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I started studying math about a month ago, as i would like to get into the nursing program this fall. The comunity collage I am applying to told me i have to pass a placement test. I have been studying from the SAT book, and i have to say..english is not hard at all, but math is a different story..(geometry for me might as well be chinese language :lol: )

SO do you guys have any ideea if the placement test is as hard as the SAT? I want to get a really good score because i want to make sure I get into the nursing program...so i will play safe and keep on studying from the SAT book, but i just wanted to know what's the difference between the two.

Tx guys!

I happen to be a guidance counselor at High School so I may have a few answers on this. Keep in mind that I work in North Carolina so different states could be different. Here the placement test is just to let the school know if you need any remedial classes in the areas of reading writing and math. If you fail the test in one of these areas it would mean that you may have to take an additional class in that area to get you up to speed in that subject and so you can be successful in your future classes. In North Carolina it is almost impossible to go straight into a nursing program due to the competition and limited number of openings. Most people go into something more general like medical assisting and then work their way into the Nursing program. While studying for the SAT will be helpful, the community college should have some resources for you to study that are more directly related to the placement tests that you will be taking. Ours offers books and online web sites for students to study before they take it. Like I said this is in North Carolina but it would be worth asking them and seeing if they can give you more direction.

K1 Visa
08.04.10 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center
08.12.10 NOA1
08.18.10 Touched
10.03.10 Touched
01.27.11 NOA2 Notification Text & Email
02.01.11 NVC Received
02.03.11 Received NOA2 Hard Copy by Mail
02.03.11 NVC Sent case to US Embassy in Singapore
02.09.11 Consulate Received
02.10.11 Consulate sent out Packet 3
02.16.11 Packet 3 Received
02.18.11 Medical Appointment (Passed)
02.22.11 Sent in Packet 3 checklist
02.22.11 Waiting on Interview date
03.16.11 Interview Scheduled (Approved)
04.07.11 Visa in Hand
04.14.11 Arrive in USA (POE Chicago / No problems)
04.21.11 Civil Wedding
AOS
05.18.11 Filed AOS/EAD/AP
05.24.11 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP Received Hard Copy 05.31.11
06.15.11 AOS case transferred to CSC Received hard Copy 06.18.11.
06.20.11 Biometrics done today as a walk in. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 07.12.2011)
07.23.11 EAD Card/Document Production & AP Post Decision Activity
07.28.11 Second notification on EAD Card / Document Production
07.29.11 Third notification on EAD Card / Approval (Still no word on AP.)
08.01.11 Received EAD/AP Combo card in the mail.
08.04.11 Email Notification that GC is approved. (This came one year to the day that I sent the K1 package in.)
08.08.11 Received Welcome letter in the mail.
08.10.11 Greencard in Hand (It was actually dated 07.29.11 my wife's birthday!!)
ROC
05.23.13 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center
05.31.13 Check Cleared (We are on our way!)
05.29.13 NOA1 (Received 06.03.13)
06.11.13 Early Bio Metrics done today. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 06.28.2013)
09.27.13 Transferred to CSC for quicker processing

10.29.13 Approved

11.06.13 10 Year Greenscard in Hand

Timeline

I happen to be a guidance counselor at High School so I may have a few answers on this. Keep in mind that I work in North Carolina so different states could be different. Here the placement test is just to let the school know if you need any remedial classes in the areas of reading writing and math. If you fail the test in one of these areas it would mean that you may have to take an additional class in that area to get you up to speed in that subject and so you can be successful in your future classes. In North Carolina it is almost impossible to go straight into a nursing program due to the competition and limited number of openings. Most people go into something more general like medical assisting and then work their way into the Nursing program. While studying for the SAT will be helpful, the community college should have some resources for you to study that are more directly related to the placement tests that you will be taking. Ours offers books and online web sites for students to study before they take it. Like I said this is in North Carolina but it would be worth asking them and seeing if they can give you more direction.

A giudance councelor? That's amazing you guys have this position in schools, I wish Romanian schools would have a guidance councelor, I went to collage and quit because i started hating everything about it(journalism), they all made it sound so interesting and super duper, when in fact it wasn't like that at all. If i would have had a councelor maybe they would advice me better on what college to chose.

I heard nursing it's very competitive, but wow...that's preety bad. I will have to get to the school and ask questions because they are not very helpful over the phone. I have called 4 times already and they rushed me like it's a free school.

Tx for the advice!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A giudance councelor? That's amazing you guys have this position in schools, I wish Romanian schools would have a guidance councelor, I went to collage and quit because i started hating everything about it(journalism), they all made it sound so interesting and super duper, when in fact it wasn't like that at all. If i would have had a councelor maybe they would advice me better on what college to chose.

I heard nursing it's very competitive, but wow...that's preety bad. I will have to get to the school and ask questions because they are not very helpful over the phone. I have called 4 times already and they rushed me like it's a free school.

Tx for the advice!

I think going to the school is a good idea. You need to talk to someone face to face. Right now the community colleges are packed with people that have lost their josb and are going back to school to learn a new career. This means they do not need your business so they may not be as helpful as they should be but if you can get through this Visa process then you can get through anything. :) Good Luck!!!!

K1 Visa
08.04.10 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center
08.12.10 NOA1
08.18.10 Touched
10.03.10 Touched
01.27.11 NOA2 Notification Text & Email
02.01.11 NVC Received
02.03.11 Received NOA2 Hard Copy by Mail
02.03.11 NVC Sent case to US Embassy in Singapore
02.09.11 Consulate Received
02.10.11 Consulate sent out Packet 3
02.16.11 Packet 3 Received
02.18.11 Medical Appointment (Passed)
02.22.11 Sent in Packet 3 checklist
02.22.11 Waiting on Interview date
03.16.11 Interview Scheduled (Approved)
04.07.11 Visa in Hand
04.14.11 Arrive in USA (POE Chicago / No problems)
04.21.11 Civil Wedding
AOS
05.18.11 Filed AOS/EAD/AP
05.24.11 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP Received Hard Copy 05.31.11
06.15.11 AOS case transferred to CSC Received hard Copy 06.18.11.
06.20.11 Biometrics done today as a walk in. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 07.12.2011)
07.23.11 EAD Card/Document Production & AP Post Decision Activity
07.28.11 Second notification on EAD Card / Document Production
07.29.11 Third notification on EAD Card / Approval (Still no word on AP.)
08.01.11 Received EAD/AP Combo card in the mail.
08.04.11 Email Notification that GC is approved. (This came one year to the day that I sent the K1 package in.)
08.08.11 Received Welcome letter in the mail.
08.10.11 Greencard in Hand (It was actually dated 07.29.11 my wife's birthday!!)
ROC
05.23.13 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center
05.31.13 Check Cleared (We are on our way!)
05.29.13 NOA1 (Received 06.03.13)
06.11.13 Early Bio Metrics done today. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 06.28.2013)
09.27.13 Transferred to CSC for quicker processing

10.29.13 Approved

11.06.13 10 Year Greenscard in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My oldest son took the ACT test and then he took the college placement test to try and get a better score in math, he found the college test easier the the ACT test. He has a learning disability so test are hard on him. Good luck with yours

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to do a placement test, and it was pretty basic! At the end it stated if you meet the minimum requirements (or exceeded them) for certain areas such as English and math! THEN many nursing courses have a pre-nursign exam which may or may not count to ur score to get into the program! Some you just have to meet the min requirements and that it--some your score is put laong with ur GPA to gain admittance into the program! Common Nursing pre-exam tests are the TEAS http://www.atitesting.com/Solutions/PreNursingSchool/TEAS.aspx

and their is another one put out by HESI, and I'm sure their are others. And yes there are books that can help with studying for it.

I bought 99% of my school nursing books on ebay.com, half.com or amazon.com. MUCH cheaper than what the school sells them for. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I had to do a placement test, and it was pretty basic! At the end it stated if you meet the minimum requirements (or exceeded them) for certain areas such as English and math! THEN many nursing courses have a pre-nursign exam which may or may not count to ur score to get into the program! Some you just have to meet the min requirements and that it--some your score is put laong with ur GPA to gain admittance into the program! Common Nursing pre-exam tests are the TEAS http://www.atitesting.com/Solutions/PreNursingSchool/TEAS.aspx

and their is another one put out by HESI, and I'm sure their are others. And yes there are books that can help with studying for it.

I bought 99% of my school nursing books on ebay.com, half.com or amazon.com. MUCH cheaper than what the school sells them for. Best of luck

I read something last night on allnurses.com that got me really worried. This girl wanted to go to the school i want to go to, and she had a 3.7 GPA, and also did some type at college at VCU which is a very big, and famous here in VA, and she still DIDN'T get in the nursing program the first time :wacko:

other people were saying that the waiting list is 13-17 months!!!

I think with all the lay offs people have started changing their careers, and more people go back to school now then they ever did in the past...i bet 10 years ago it wasn't a waiting list to get into nursing.

I will have to get to the school and talk to them and see what they say, as the lady i talked to over the phone rushed me, and when she heard that i want to do nursing she said: "oh...that is a very hard program" That is almost like going to a store and when you ask for the price on something the sales person tells you: oh...that is very very expensive" :angry:

So i guess my conclusion is that i have to get over there somehow and maybe face to face they will be able to explain to me better how this works, because I am not going to wait 17 months to get into nursing :blink:

TX for the tips and help!

Timeline

Many of the schools have waiting lists and it can be very hard to get into them---they are very competitive when it comes to GPA! And one has to watch out--as some do not accept do overs!! As in you get a "c" in a required chemistry class, but when you retake the class you get an "A", well they wont take the "A", and ur stuck with the "C"!

Really not a new grad shortage in the Virginia area. new grads are having a hard time finding work, as the older nursers are not retiring---having to work longer because theirs or their husbands/wifes 401k crashed!

In my program, I bet the average age was in the 30's--lot of people lost their jobs, so they figured to give nursing a try!

personally, I would recommend another profession,lol there are a lot of disgruntled nurses out there--most of which are bedside nurses,lol Reason being in many places, management treats you like ####### and some patients treat you like #######! Then your wiping #######,lol Nothing like an ETOH pt to ruin your shift and on our PCU floor, we get them a lot! 1 sent our tech to the ER last week after she punched her! And yes it can be rewarding, but, its not a job I'm going to miss. Just saying! Prob better to go respiratory therapist or Ultrasound tech! lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Many of the schools have waiting lists and it can be very hard to get into them---they are very competitive when it comes to GPA! And one has to watch out--as some do not accept do overs!! As in you get a "c" in a required chemistry class, but when you retake the class you get an "A", well they wont take the "A", and ur stuck with the "C"!

Really not a new grad shortage in the Virginia area. new grads are having a hard time finding work, as the older nursers are not retiring---having to work longer because theirs or their husbands/wifes 401k crashed!

In my program, I bet the average age was in the 30's--lot of people lost their jobs, so they figured to give nursing a try!

personally, I would recommend another profession,lol there are a lot of disgruntled nurses out there--most of which are bedside nurses,lol Reason being in many places, management treats you like ####### and some patients treat you like #######! Then your wiping #######,lol Nothing like an ETOH pt to ruin your shift and on our PCU floor, we get them a lot! 1 sent our tech to the ER last week after she punched her! And yes it can be rewarding, but, its not a job I'm going to miss. Just saying! Prob better to go respiratory therapist or Ultrasound tech! lol

I think i'm going to try voluneteering in a hospital for a while...that would give me a better understanding of the jobs in the health care field, also it will give me a chance to see if i would even be a good fit for nursing.

So you are not working as a nurse anymore?

Timeline

I think i'm going to try voluneteering in a hospital for a while...that would give me a better understanding of the jobs in the health care field, also it will give me a chance to see if i would even be a good fit for nursing.

So you are not working as a nurse anymore?

No I still do,lol On a Progressive care Unit (PCU)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there are two genres of 'Placement Tests' so be warned, ah?

one is some 'basic' thing the college or university will use, to see where to put you for some classes, at which level.

the other is the CLEP - College Level E(something) Placement - and these are taken to 'get out' of classes - if you score high enough on a CLEP exam, you get credit for that class, and not need to take it at uni.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

there are two genres of 'Placement Tests' so be warned, ah?

one is some 'basic' thing the college or university will use, to see where to put you for some classes, at which level.

the other is the CLEP - College Level E(something) Placement - and these are taken to 'get out' of classes - if you score high enough on a CLEP exam, you get credit for that class, and not need to take it at uni.

Good Luck !

Funny you mentioned that because i was just doing a sample placement test now...and it is so much harder than any i have done so far...and i was wondering why that was.

I have to say ..the education system here in us is so confusing..to many choices, i feel i need to take a course just to learn the system. :wacko:

tx for sharing that with me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.