one...two...tree

A SmartPhone diagnoses tumors at your bedside

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

haun1hr-300x204.jpg

Don’t get up, no need to leave the room… scientists have designed a device to diagnose life-threatening tumors that attaches to a phone.

The portable in-phone device is a microNMR chip – which measures proteins in scant numbers of tumor cells using just a speck of tissue. This allows doctors to track the malignancy of a tumor without having the patient undergo repeated biopsies or surgeries to get large tissue samples. This promises to be faster, cheaper, and more accurate than the current gold standard of cancer diagnosis known as immunohistochemistry.

“The device steers patients away from invasive and potentially harmful procedures,” says study coauthor Cesar Castro of Harvard, “and reduces anxiety with its rapid turnaround time” (in under an hour, compared to the typical 3 days).

This system for bedside diagnostics features a mini NMR – nuclear magnetic resonance, like in MRIs – probe that can detect single cells, along with a smartphone-friendly interface (pictured, iPhone not for scale).

The device is basically a highly sensitive detector of magnetism, operating like an MRI machine but with a handheld magnet. “It’s a miniaturized version,” says study author Jered Haun of Harvard, “so instead of looking inside a body, we’re looking inside a small sample volume. “

Because tumor cells don’t exhibit a magnetic signature of their own, the researchers tagged them with magnetic nanosensors targeted to protein markers associated with cancer. This gives them an idea of the cells’ molecular makeups.

Fifty patients receiving biopsies of suspicious stomach tissue at Massachusetts General Hospital agreed to have a small portion analyzed by the new device – which correctly identified 44 patients as having malignant tumors.

The researchers even found 9 protein markers that act as molecular fingerprints of cancer. And by using just 4 of those markers to look for tumor signatures, they correctly identified cancer in 96% of patients in a pilot study. This surpasses the 84% of immunohistochemistry, they say.

“We feel our work further underscores the need to move beyond a simplistic one-tumor-marker-fits-all philosophy for diagnosing cancers,” Castro says. These molecular diagnostics leverage protein markers to better describe cancers, and with more specificity, there wouldn’t be a need for large tissue samples.

The chip can also help measure if drugs are affecting the tumors they’re meant to target, which can hone in on dosages better.

“Our device has the potential for transforming cancer care through it’s ability to provide real time readouts,” Castro adds, “using only a few cancer cells.”

The study was published in Science Translational Medicine today.

Interesting device, I hope someday soon they find a cure for cancer.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Interesting. I heard some machines could also increase the risk of some cancers. Hope people don't give themselves cancer trying to check if they have cancer.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It sure is amazing what with technology and all these days. My grandson doesn't even have a telephone in his home anymore. He just uses his cell phone and I guess that works good enough. Don't care much for them myself though, they make em all too small and my big old mitts can't even push a button without pushing four others. But I guess that's just the wave of the future and pretty soon who knows maybe we'll just think about calling somebody and their phone will ring on the other end lol. A phone that tells you if you have cancer though. That is really something.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The other day I Googled what that meant.

774890.jpeg

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

774890.jpeg

marker_pwned.jpg?1249241594

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

774890.jpeg

so you give it to spooky quite frequently? :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

so you give it to spooky quite frequently? :hehe:

Yes, she gives him the time of day, unlike yourself. tongue_ss.giftongue_ss.gif

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline

I'm the new sheriff in town and I am to get the rats under control.

Give'em Hell, SPOOKS!!!!good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Rat_Hunter_Logo.jpg

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, she gives him the time of day, unlike yourself. tongue_ss.giftongue_ss.gif

i'll give him the time of day from your watch, it's right once in a while. :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!