gretchen_darren

K-1 expedite request

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question: has anyone ever asked the Embassy for help in expediting a K-1 application from the start? My finace is in the Philippines, in a very poor purok, nowhere near an urban section or town. To get to her village, you have to cross a river on a raft. I emailed the embassy requesting help while I am finishing my paperwork to file this week. I am in hte process of writing the cover letter now requesting expedition based on humanitarian, and extreme emergent situations. I am also planning on contacting my senators/state representatives requesting assistance. I thought I knew poverty until I saw the village. The village made a campground look good. It was very much off the beaten path for anyone but pinoys.

Cheers,

Darren

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hmm. I will be interested in to hear if anyone thinks you can get an expedite request for something like this. My first instinct is to say I doubt it. Lots of people live in extreme poverty, but it doesn't make it a humanitarian emergency. My fiance is living in one of the most violent cities in Mexico because of a the drug war and as far as I am concerned, his life could be at risk every time he steps out his door. But, I doubt the government would even consider that enough of a plight. If anyone thinks it's worth trying though, I would..

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Doubt the expedite would happen - the fiancee already lived in a difficult place when she met you so nothing has changed.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Unfortunately, I believe your chances of getting an expedite are low. There's no harm in trying, but prepare for bad news.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Question: has anyone ever asked the Embassy for help in expediting a K-1 application from the start? My finace is in the Philippines, in a very poor purok, nowhere near an urban section or town. To get to her village, you have to cross a river on a raft. I emailed the embassy requesting help while I am finishing my paperwork to file this week. I am in hte process of writing the cover letter now requesting expedition based on humanitarian, and extreme emergent situations. I am also planning on contacting my senators/state representatives requesting assistance. I thought I knew poverty until I saw the village. The village made a campground look good. It was very much off the beaten path for anyone but pinoys.

Cheers,

Darren

Darren,

The trip to her village on a raft is an "expedition" , the request for USCIS to speed up processing of your forms is

and expedite. You mentioned two criteria ;

Extreme emergent situation

Humanitarian situation

You might want to save yourself time, aggravation and distraction by focusing on the application at hand instead of trying to manufacture a crisis to jump in line ahead of others.

Presumably your fiance has been living in this poor location across the river by raft for quite some time, so that eliminates "emergent" situation, which means something that did not exist before and exists now.

Humanitarian involves much more than running water and working electricity or remote location. If she is subject to something that could potentially kill or torture her perhaps, but it sounds like she is quite nicely paddling her raft to the other side of the river to go to the internet cafe and meet US Citizens.

Good luck

and to the posters who said this is worth a try ? PLEASE.. this call a senator routine costs TIME and if everyone is so concerned about timely processing of applications, they should stop recommending things that gum up the works.

and to the posters who said this is worth a try ? PLEASE.. this call a senator routine costs TIME and if everyone is so concerned about timely processing of applications, they should stop recommending things that gum up the works.

It's the OP's time to waste if he so chooses. It can't hurt his case. The worst thing that could happen (and as pointed out by numerous people in this thread likely WILL happen) is they could say no.

Such is the case for a lot of people in the Philippines though, she is not the first to go through it.

But I know you are concerned, and that you want her out of there quick, and that's understandable. I don't see any harm in requesting for it on the cover letter, as it is your choice to do so anyway and what's the worse that could happen right? I mean they could (and probably will) say no but at least you tried.

I doubt calling the senator would work though.. When we called to ask them for help, they told us they could not help until we have reached the 5-month mark because that is the standard processing time, and my fiance is in the military.. ^.^

I wish you luck and may you have a speedy journey!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Such is the case for a lot of people in the Philippines though, she is not the first to go through it.

But I know you are concerned, and that you want her out of there quick, and that's understandable. I don't see any harm in requesting for it on the cover letter, as it is your choice to do so anyway and what's the worse that could happen right? I mean they could (and probably will) say no but at least you tried.

I doubt calling the senator would work though.. When we called to ask them for help, they told us they could not help until we have reached the 5-month mark because that is the standard processing time, and my fiance is in the military.. ^.^

I wish you luck and may you have a speedy journey!

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Even though I am not the OP but as someone who has learned a lot and will probably ask more questions when i start our K1 process sometime in late spring/ early summer,I really appreciate the responses on the thread that are kind and offer advice even though there are certain requirementw for an expedition and unfortunatey this is not a situation that probably would meet the criteria. There again, is no harm in trying. The sarcasm and condescending tone of others is just not right or fair. It is ok to disagree, of course, but respect is a requirement. We are all in this together..

Sarasusan

8j0g.jpg8j0gm4.png

December 27, 2009 - Wishing each other a blessed 2010. -When we met
February 25- I realize I love this amazing man! (but of course I must see it and feel it in person to know for sure )
June 22, 2010 - The day I first lay eyes on the man that I love.
December 29th 2010- January 6th 2011 - second trip to Morocco, an amazing time with an amazing man. He tells me I am everything he needs and more and hopes that he is the same for me... of course!! I accept his proposal and we are engaged!
October 2011 - So very much in love still, can't wait to see him in December
December 22nd,2011- January 9th 2012 - What a wonderful time, we had an engagement ceremony, and finally we decided it was time to start filling out some papers! Hoping to send it off in late March !
December 27th, 2012 - January 14th, 2013- My girls and I visit my Sweet Bread and have a wonderful vacation with all of the family, including my uncle!

November 12, 2013 - I-129f mailed! Finally!

November 21, 2013- NOA1 !

February 27th, 2014 NOA2 !

March 18th, 2014 NVC RECEIVED!

April 23rd, 2014 INTERVIEW !!! God-Willing we will be in each others arms soon! God Bless!!

April 24th, 2014 Find out we were in AP, 2 weeks later he is called back to the Consulate...

May 8th, 2014 Hicham is given a 221g at the Consulate and told that the petition has been sent back to USCIS. :( HEARTBROKEN. Yet, determined to convince them.

September 29th, 2015 MARRIED.

June 2015- Still madly in love, and madly missing each other.

September 29th, 2015 Mailed CR-1 Petition.

October 1st 2015 NOA-1

December 2nd 2015, Notice of Action- Transferred to Local office in Arlington, VA

The Journey continues....... missing each other like crazy!

Still, God Bless.

Thank you for letting me share my story smile.png
HichamRainbow2.pngloveforeverpng.pngPicture0006.png

"You'll know then that I am God. No one who hopes in me ever regrets it." Isaiah 49:23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Even though I am not the OP but as someone who has learned a lot and will probably ask more questions when i start our K1 process sometime in late spring/ early summer,I really appreciate the responses on the thread that are kind and offer advice even though there are certain requirementw for an expedition and unfortunatey this is not a situation that probably would meet the criteria. There again, is no harm in trying. The sarcasm and condescending tone of others is just not right or fair. It is ok to disagree, of course, but respect is a requirement. We are all in this together..

Sarasusan

Are you and others who are suggesting fling cow dung on the wall and some of it might stick and the expedite that is not really an expedite might get approved... Are you really that patient and kind and loving Koom-bye-yah .. that you encourage others with no legitimate expedite criteria to go ahead and jump the line?

Hmmm is that your definition of "respect" , if so I think it should be mutual. Respect the process and the others in it as well.

As for you and others assuring the OP that "there is no HARM in trying" , first you have no evidence to support that claim and as Bill Clinton may have said, "depends on what the definition of harm is".

If they take your petition out of the normal processing que, you simply have no assurance it will be processed in the same order in which it was recieved, and perhaps every reason to assume after it sits in the expedite pile and gets denied it is sitting in a box in the file room waiting to be recirculated back into the que, I seriously doubt it gets back in line where it originally began. These files are piled in boxes and picked up by adjudicators and worked in batches, the batch it would have been in if kept in line is now GONE ahead and a later box will be where it is put back in line.

So before you assure an OP there is "no harm" in trying something this futile, perhaps you should back up your assertions with some facts by taking a look at denied expedites and how fast they came to fruition after they were denied to back up your "theory".

As for being rude and condescending I prefer a non-sugar coated true assessment over a lovey dovey misinformed one.

Eh.. I don't think it will really cause any harm. They read the cover letter, will choose not to expedite it and so it will just be processed normally. It's not like it will be sent to somewhere special because on the cover letter the OP asked if it could be processed as quickly as possible. There is no formula for a cover letter, if the OP just writes and explains his k1 situation and asks to be processed as quickly as possible, whats wrong with that? It's not like there is a separate form for an expedite, well if there was we did not use one, we just wrote it on the cover letter... This is just my opinion though..

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

It's unfortunate when people can't simply give advice without talking down to others.

OP, I hope in all this mess, you've found your answer. I don't suggest trying, but it's your time and your decision. Good luck to you on your journey.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

OP, perhaps you can help her to get a more suitable place while the process continues.

Is it the I-129f petition you want expedited? Or is it some special consideration in the visa process once it gets there since there is a hardship for her to get into the city?

Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I do not know of the expedite will be approved or not. However, her situation HAS changed since meeting me. 1) she lives in the Mindanao region of the Philippines. there is a US Embassy travel advisory for this area. (northern end, but still part of the more fractured part of the Philippines. 2) I was the only American to visit the village in the last 2 years. 3) she does not cross the river to talk to people, it just so happens one of the mothers from the village lives here in town with me. We net online due to relatives living close by me. 4) I provided her a laptop, cell phone, and passport already to provide means to communicate with her, and provide support for her and her family. 5) as for gumming up the works, well, let's just say that is america. there are always exceptions to rules not rules with out exceptions as in many other countries. 6) As for sitting untouched or in a separate batch, etc. It is your responsibility to follow up, not their responsibility to let you know. 7) I have provided food for her and her family since we have started dating. Her dad insists she talks with me each and every day. They did not have separate rooms in the house until I provided money to them. The whole village, as well as those along the route (jeepney and bus) now know her and I are engaged to be married. It was a common conversation every day when going back and forth. 8) I bought her the first dress she ever owned 9apart from school uniform) 9) the engagment party was 37,000php.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

the family has never been outside of the area they are in. 1) they never have been to mcdonalds or jollibee until I took them. 2) going shopping is a rarity to them. 3) there is nowhere to send while waiting, all of the family pretty much lives in the village from what I know. 4) the furthest I know of them going is butuan or cagayan de oro. 5) I am having her get her vaccinations now, I will be paying for all of these. 6) I also paid for her cousin to take her exams for graduation.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.