Strange

I need a little clairification here

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

It would be better to start your own thread rather than take this one off track to discuss your situation.

First of all, not trying to be rude, but your first line is the main reason that I rarely participate in web forums. People are too quick to police the threads and its REALLY annoying. As the other poster ssid, I am the OP and this is my thread.

It is almost impossible for a Thai to get a tourist visa. It is totaly impossible if the Thai female indicates she will be going to the USA with or to visit her USC boyfriend.

Well, I have NO idea how ANYONE gets a tourist visa then, unless they are COMPLETELY independent, with good wages, a home in thier name, kids, family, excellent government job... Not everyone has that situation.

Every person with a visa is considered as an intending immigrant. That means they believe she will not return. Once she enters the USA you could attempt to petition for a change of status to obtain a immigrant visa. Read the strongest ties rule & you will see how that affects every attempt to get tourist visas. There is nothing to support the idea that either of you needs to return to Thailand. Motorcycles, rental houses ect are meaningless. Once the officer determined she couldnt meet the strongest ties rule there wasnt any reason to ask questions.

How are you supposed to PROVE strong ties to your home country if living arrangents & proof are not enough??? Rental agreements, cars, Bills, are ALL ties to thailand. Also, your statements totally go against what the immigration guy said to my girl. He said that I (THE BOYFRIEND) dont have strong enough ties to thailand and therefore he can not issue the visa. He said "Maybe we should travel together more" Girlfriends like "We have been to bali, singapore, south africa, hong kong, laos, cambodia, etc.." He didnt even look at her passport. He didnt even give a ######. He just saw something that he didnt like, and made his mind up RIGHT THEN. He also said "it might be better if we were married". All im saying is that what you are saying and what the guy said are opposites.

If you marry there is NO chance of getting a tourist visa. Her ties are then stronger to her husband than to Thailand. They will not issue the tourist visa. Even if they did she would be turned away at the POE.

Well that one is a bold, sweeping generalization that is totally false. I personally know and work with guys that have got thier wife to the states for visits on a tourist visa.

Having more of any property of any type in Thailand will not change the outcome. It is true that you will have to marry to have a chance to get her a CR 1 visa. Use V J to better educate yourself about the immigration process before you proceed.

I am using VJ, hence the thread you are replying to. Fair enough that its hard to get a tourist visa for the states, but surely there must be a way?

By the way, are you an embassy/consulate employee? What is your experience in this subject? Again, not trying to be rude, im just trying to decide if I should listen to you or not.

Anyway, thanks to the others that replied. All this information is very useful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your GC is from a Country whose citizens have a history of forgetting to return home if given a visitors visa.

So the bar is a bit higher,

That does not mean it is impossible, just a bit more difficult.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

First of all, not trying to be rude, but your first line is the main reason that I rarely participate in web forums. People are too quick to police the threads and its REALLY annoying. As the other poster ssid, I am the OP and this is my thread.

Yeah & I said I made a mistake. If I could fire a flare to signify my mistake I would do so. I can see you dont participate by your understanding of the process. Dont get annoyed by what you percive to be the thread police. I was attempting to help not cause harm.

Well, I have NO idea how ANYONE gets a tourist visa then, unless they are COMPLETELY independent, with good wages, a home in thier name, kids, family, excellent government job... Not everyone has that situation.

Not many qualify for tourist visas from Thailand. Some do. find & contact them to follow that example. She can apply as many times as you can pay for.

How are you supposed to PROVE strong ties to your home country if living arrangents & proof are not enough??? Rental agreements, cars, Bills, are ALL ties to thailand. Also, your statements totally go against what the immigration guy said to my girl. He said that I (THE BOYFRIEND) dont have strong enough ties to thailand and therefore he can not issue the visa. He said "Maybe we should travel together more" Girlfriends like "We have been to bali, singapore, south africa, hong kong, laos, cambodia, etc.." He didnt even look at her passport. He didnt even give a ######. He just saw something that he didnt like, and made his mind up RIGHT THEN. He also said "it might be better if we were married". All im saying is that what you are saying and what the guy said are opposites.

That is exactly the problem. Proving the ties when they then determin those ties are to you as soon as she enters the USA. No he doesnt care. He is instructed to deny such visas.

Well that one is a bold, sweeping generalization that is totally false. I personally know and work with guys that have got thier wife to the states for visits on a tourist visa.

I am relating to you what I learned as a direct result of my own experiance. The officer told my husband exactly what I told you. If you know people that have done what you say turn to them for your guidence & advise. I really hope they are right. You better hope your case is exactly as theres were & the same officer is still there.

I am using VJ, hence the thread you are replying to. Fair enough that its hard to get a tourist visa for the states, but surely there must be a way?

I applied 3 times & was denied 3 times. When my husband objected one officer was kind enough to explain. He said " Your documents are perfect & I believe you & your wife will return but if I issue a tourist visa to a Thai that is married to a USC I will be fired that day". He went on to say " even if I gave you a visa she would be turned away at the POE when they realised she was married to a USC". By the way, are you an embassy/consulate employee? What is your experience in this subject? Again, not trying to be rude, im just trying to decide if I should listen to you or not.

No. Best thing you can do is not to listen to me. That will ease your pain & mine. I believe I am correct based on my own difficult journey. If you dont it doesnt matter to me as I no longer need a visa.

Anyway, thanks to the others that replied. All this information is very useful.

Edited by Ning

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

True, but those possessing the attributes you just mentioned are the ones who are usually successful in obtaining a tourist visa. It is usually difficult for Thais (not unlike others from TWCs) to procure tourist visas as plenty have abused that privilege and have 'forgotten' to return home at the end of their authorized stay.

A fiance/spouse of a USC is automatically considered to have "immigrant intent." Property and cars don't do much to counteract that presumption. To obtain a B2, one needs to demonstrate convincing "non-immigrant intent." One can't possess "dual intent." -- Straight from an official at the US Consulate-General, Calcutta to Visajourney.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

True, but those possessing the attributes you just mentioned are the ones who are usually successful in obtaining a tourist visa. It is usually difficult for Thais (not unlike others from TWCs) to procure tourist visas as plenty have abused that privilege and have 'forgotten' to return home at the end of their authorized stay.

A fiance/spouse of a USC is automatically considered to have "immigrant intent." Property and cars don't do much to counteract that presumption. To obtain a B2, one needs to demonstrate convincing "non-immigrant intent." One can't possess "dual intent." -- Straight from an official at the US Consulate-General, Calcutta to Visajourney.

Yeah your right, its just ANNOYING. I mean, if they just take the time to look at everyone INDIVIDUALLY and taking the time to hear them out... I was not even allowed to go into the interview so I couldnt defend myself or say anything. FRUSTRATING

Well then what exactly will counteract the presumption of "Immigrant Intent"? I mean, dual intent? All these terms that are broad? We just want to go to Disney Land and the beach. Thats all.

Im not really sure I understand dual intent. I mean we have to show that she will return to thailand, and what we are going to do when we vacation in the states.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Dual intent applies to certain work visa's.

What was it that you had to defend yourself against?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't quite understand, no one was accusing you of anything so no need to defend yourself. Also, your GF was the one being questioned, not you so why would you need to be there anyway?

Your girlfriend, as do all people applying for a visitors visa, has immigrant intent. SHE must prove that she will return to Thailand. VERY difficult for a single Thai girl, not to mention one with a boyfriend in the US. Complaining about the process isn't going to change it. So what are you going to do about it? Change your travel plans to Euro Disney? Or change the evidence to show she MUST return to Thailand?

Dual intent doesn't apply to your girlfriend. Immigrant intent does. Think - why MUST, ABSOLUTLY MUST return to Thailand?

I was denied entry twice(not even denied a visa...physially prevented from entering the US) - and coming from a country with very liberal travel privledges to the US - so I understand why they denied your girlfriend.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.