GradStudent

I want to marry my High school sweetheart in JAMAica but I dont know which is better K1 OR K3

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

HI, you guys this is my first ever post, I want to marry my girl so she can come to the states and live with me..I became naturalized a couple years ago, Im finishing up Law school so I dont know if thats gonna be a problem with my tax returns and amount of money I make. Im really confused to whether i should get married down there and start the process (I believe that is K-3) or should I do the fiancée route (k-1)? which is quicker?

As i stated this is my first post so please cut me some slack..Im really clueless when it comes to this..

Should I get a lawer? will it be worth my money?

Also any other threads that list step by step instructions on which is the quickest one for my situation?

thanks a bunch.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

HI, you guys this is my first ever post, I want to marry my girl so she can come to the states and live with me..I became naturalized a couple years ago, Im finishing up Law school so I dont know if thats gonna be a problem with my tax returns and amount of money I make. Im really confused to whether i should get married down there and start the process (I believe that is K-3) or should I do the fiancée route (k-1)? which is quicker?

As i stated this is my first post so please cut me some slack..Im really clueless when it comes to this..

Also any other threads that list step by step instructions on which is the quickest one for my situation?

thanks a bunch.

My advice is to make the time and location of marriage decision that best fits your priorities and life first. Then, you can take the immigration path that fits that decision. Either way, you're looking at several months of separation during the process and will still need to qualify as sponsor or find a qualified joint sponsor. Sounds like since you're both Jamaican, a wedding in Jamaica would be the ticket. Fiancee visas require the marriage takes place in the USA. If you can do law school then you can read carefully, interpret literally and answer accurately, so probably will do just fine managing the process on your own.

CR1 is the available spouse visa. K1 the fiancee visa. Click on the word "Guides" at the top of any page here and study carefully.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

thanks a bunch.

K3 is not an option.. this process is dead. try k1, cr1, ir1

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

k1 may take about 7 months... cr1 or ir1 takes about 9 months and cost less.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

k1 may take about 7 months... cr1 or ir1 takes about 9 months and cost less.

thanks guys, just another quick question.

do you know the total amount the k1 is going to cost vs the cr1 and ir1.

just wanting to better narrow down my decistion...

thanks in advanvce

Timeline

thanks guys, just another quick question.

do you know the total amount the k1 is going to cost vs the cr1 and ir1.

just wanting to better narrow down my decistion...

thanks in advanvce

The difference is about $1000.00. Expect to pay that much more.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The difference is about $1000.00. Expect to pay that much more.

In terms of government fees only....

From filing to green card the fiancee visa route costs $848 more.

From filing to visa, the fiancee visa route costs $222 less.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Just wanted to clarify - CR1 is for people who have been married less than 2 years. IR1 is for people who have been married 2 years or longer. :) If you choose that route, you will be filing for your CR-1. We went with CR1, although it meant being apart after we were married. It was less we had to do after he got here.

Edited by Married2009

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.