Danno

Will Multiculturalism End Europe?

106 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Why Me- on the subject of Shariah, they will obfuscate till they're blue in the face. For the purposes of this thread, it suffices that Malaysia's marriage laws are not symptomatic of a multicultural utopia.

Utopia? That's your obfuscation, no one else's.

Homosexuality is a cross-cultural phenomenon. We're talking about multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism doesn't include gays?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is interfaith marriage permitted in Israel? I think not, but I'm not sure. I only mention it because the intolerance of Islam when it comes to interfaith marriage is often noted, but it's not really unusual, is it? I would expect any theocratic state to have the same restrictions.

Timeline

:ot2:

Europe is effed up because Europeans effed it up. Sympathy to their whining when they can't put on their big boy/girl pants and join the 21st century is lost on me, especially since they didn't mind multiculturalism so much when they were exploiting the colonies where many of their "foreigners" now come from.

A bunch of puzzies who can't reap what they sowed, in my book.

Is interfaith marriage permitted in Israel? I think not, but I'm not sure. I only mention it because the intolerance of Islam when it comes to interfaith marriage is often noted, but it's not really unusual, is it? I would expect any theocratic state to have the same restrictions.

They're not much for marriage at all in the land known as the Vatican.

Timeline

No.

Not condoning homophobia, of course. Homosexuals around the world do not share a common culture. Arab homosexuals, Japanese homosexuals, San Francisco homosexuals.

Neither do Muslims, so I guess that blows your multicultural animus toward us.

Timeline

Europe will not end, what a stupid thing to say.

Oh, it's Pat Buchanan, never mind :rofl:

Pat is very popular today. His opinion was posted as proof that the US had a coup in 1974 :lol: That shows how low some will stoop when rational thinking hurts your argument.

Filed: Timeline

Theocracies aren't paragons of multicultural virtue. Neither Israel nor Malaysia do very good in the multicultural department. In fact I'd dare say America does better than either.

Neither do Muslims, so I guess that blows your multicultural animus toward us.

Animus? You are insane, lady. Malaysia is not a model to be held up as an example of a successful multicultural society - from that you deduce animus towards Muslims? Bat-###### crazy.

Timeline

Legal Status of Intermarriage

According to New Family, an Israeli organization devoted to "attain[ing] [the] legal recognition of every family unit in Israel to ensure equal rights for every type of family" (n.d.), the only marriages recognized by Israel are those between co-religionists; people of different religions cannot marry unless one converts to the other's religion (New Family 2004).

Another article points to a May 2003 decision in which Prime Minister Ariel Sharon ordered the Ministry of Justice to draft legislation denying automatic Israeli citizenship to children of mixed Israeli-Palestinian parents, a move opposed by several Jewish and Arab members of the Knesset (Jerusalem Post 27 May 2003). Information indicating whether the bill was eventually approved could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate.

Religious Ramifications

Jewish law prohibits the marriage of Jews to non-Jews (Haaretz n.d.). Since in Israel only religious authorities can legally perform weddings, and the rabbinate will not accept to officiate at an intermarriage (Maariv 28 Mar. 2004), the only way a Jew could marry a non-Jew would be if one partner converted to the other's religion or the couple had a civil ceremony abroad, which could then be registered in Israel under international law (Newsday 27 Apr. 2002).

Since a Jew cannot marry a non-Jewish Arab in Israel, some women are in the situation wherein they have a partner and children but their families are not legally recognized by the State (New Family n.d.). Legislation proposed by New Family would grant all marriages legal status irrespective of their religious make-up (New Family n.d.); but, as of August 2004, there has been no indication that any such bill has been implemented within Israeli law (ibid.). However, in a 28 March 2004 article, Maariv reported that the Knesset accepted a motion to grant Israeli citizenship to non-Jewish parents of Israeli Defense Force (IDF) soldiers.

As for the children, Jewish law stipulates that a child is automatically Jewish if his/her mother is Jewish (OU n.d.; Maariv 28 Mar. 2004) but is not Jewish if only the father is Jewish, unless the child undergoes a formal conversion to Judaism (About.com n.d.).

Looks like our ally Israel doesn't do multiculturalism well either.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Theocracies aren't paragons of multicultural virtue. Neither Israel nor Malaysia do very good in the multicultural department. In fact I'd dare say America does better than either.

Naturally - multiculturalism goes against everything a theocracy stands for. Religion and government shouldn't mix.

Timeline

Animus? You are insane, lady. Malaysia is not a model to be held up as an example of a successful multicultural society - from that you deduce animus towards Muslims? Bat-###### crazy.

Then, your reference to posts making out Malaysia as a "utopia" of multiculturalism makes you insane, since no one even came close to saying that. Avoid hyperbole. It makes you seem crazy.

Naturally - multiculturalism goes against everything a theocracy stands for. Religion and government shouldn't mix.

I agree. Israel is a poor example in that regard. The nation is pretty much founded on religious identity. Another similar nation is Pakistan.

multi-culturalism works well in Malaysia ...

And, Maylasia is mostly Muslim. Maybe it works because there are few Europeans to muck it up.

"works well" is demonstrably false.

I dont know about marriage laws but I know Christian evangelizing there is illegal. It will get you deported. it's

the ultimate in biting the hand that feeds you.

Nvrmind, already covered.

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

BTW, few Muslim countries require conversion unless the intended husband is non-Muslim, but that requirement is not from Sharia. It is cultural. As a Muslim woman who was married to a Christian man in my teens, this is a subject I am well versed in.

BTW, few Muslim countries require conversion unless the intended husband is non-Muslim, but that requirement is not from Sharia. It is cultural. As a Muslim woman who was married to a Christian man in my teens, this is a subject I am well versed in.

It came up in the context of Malaysia. Darnell said multiculturalism "worked well" there and you agreed. Clearly, you were both wrong.