IP3

Girlfriend denied at POE. Canada to US

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OP, have you met in person yet? If so, I'd contemplate just filing the K-1 if that's what you were going to do anyway. If you want to get married in Canada and pursue a CR-1, then perhaps a trip for you to go there in in order.

Or, maybe a trip for you to go there is in order anyway. It would certainly seem like the 'safer bet' imo.

It's going to be a gamble buying her another ticket, and no one here can give you any sort of guarantee. The biggest thing when visiting on the VWP is 'proof of onward passage', which, as you know by now, is where you two mucked up in the first place.

A bit of friendly advice: before you proceed with any visa, please familiarize yourself with the process, so a small oversight like this one won't jump in the way of your process. Knowledge is power.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP, have you met in person yet? If so, I'd contemplate just filing the K-1 if that's what you were going to do anyway. If you want to get married in Canada and pursue a CR-1, then perhaps a trip for you to go there in in order.

It's going to be a gamble buying her another ticket, and no one here can give you any sort of guarantee. The biggest thing when visiting on the VWP is 'proof of onward passage', which, as you know by now, is where you two mucked up in the first place.

Canadians do not use the VWP.

Single tickets are usually more expensive than returns.

If she was coming for a week and the return had not been bought, then that would just leave a couple of days to buy it an we all know how expensive last minute tickets are.

She has no job, no ties, cold in Canada at the moment so why was she just going for a week?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I used to go down for just 3 days from Halifax to DC!! lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Her parents can sign an afidavit saying that yes she does indeed live with them.

That was basically what my parents did for me.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why would they disbelieve you?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Why not go and visit her in Canada? I know its not exactly what you want, but if she has weak ties to Canada and has been denied once at the border, chances are it will happen again. And THEN it starts to look hella suspicious... because she keeps trying to cross the border.

Your best bet is to visit her in Canada, and if you are really happy with things, then file the K-1.

Good luck!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

I have to agree with everyone , The one way ticket is probably what did it. I think you guys would have been ok if you had sent

her the money for a round trip. I flew from toronto to Maryland more than a few times and I know from searching for the best

deals one ways tend to cost much more than round trips... (I even went crazy and took a one stop trip just to save some cash.)

I read all these stories about people being denied and consider myself extremly lucky because when I flew I never had any ties

to Canada (at that point I had not found VJ and we were just dating). When I/we started driving across I still did not bring

any ties. Only when we actually filed the I130 did I find out that I needed to bring stuff with me. From there I brought a

letter from my mom staying I stayed with her, bank statements, filing papers for the spouse visa, and any custody papers.

I think that it will probably be best if you file the k-1 and just visit her for now.

Good luck

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I read all these stories about people being denied and consider myself extremly lucky because when I flew I never had any ties

to Canada (at that point I had not found VJ and we were just dating). When I/we started driving across I still did not bring

any ties.

Same here - I crossed back and forth countless times without preparing any kind of evidence, never having been asked any questions, until I was caught entirely unprepared and told I'd been risking denials all these years. Every time I cross, I worry I'll learn about some other rule I've been breaking unknowingly.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Timeline

Its not a "rule" that one has to show evidence of returning to Canada-- BUT its up to YOU-- if asked to groove that you will be returning to Canada. The POE officer doesn't have to grant you entry to the USA, its that plain and simple--even with the best evidence that ur returning. I was never asked for evidence, but had it with me.

Over the years their have been many stories here on VJ where the person felt they were going to be denied entry on their way to visit in the USA, but they had proof of ties to Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This exact thing happened to me and I don't blame her for being scared...it is terrifying because they interrogate you in a room and leave you alone for periods of time, and I was threatened I would be arrested, and banned...I had not seen my man for several months, and I just wanted to go back to him. I had previously lived there, and left while a work visa was pending which was later denied, so I have even more against me. At this time, we didn't know about the K-1 and I had a one way ticket, tons of luggage, and my SSC on me. In retrospect, it looked really bad on my part I totally admit. She can cross, and it will be ok. She's not doing anything illegal. Get your K-1 filed, and proof of strong ties whatever you can think of! It will be ok! she's not banned, and although it makes you feel like a criminal at the time, she did not do anything wrong.

Good luck!

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure why so many people are responding with "Get the K-1 filed". Maybe they're not at that stage yet. He did say "girlfriend".

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

I was denied entry in Aug of 2006, then I re-entered the US in Novemeber 2007. I never had a problem getting into the US. It was quick, few questions.. and that was it.

I don't think they "flag" people for more than 24 hrs after the denial. In 2006, the customs agent told me I would be inadmissible to the United States for 24 hrs from the date I received the rejection notice.

Met online Dec 2005

Starting talking more Jan-April 2006

Started long distance Relationship June 2006

Engaged Aug 2006

Met in person June 2007

Filed for Fiance Visa (denied didn't meet two years prior)

Visited him Nov 2007

Married Nov 20 2007

Filed I130 June 2008

I130 Approved October 2009

Sent to NVC Nov 2009

AOS Check cleared April 2010

Visa Processing fee sent out May 2010

Money Order cashed May 8th 2010

Visa Application Send June 12 2010

Application Approved/left NVC Aug 16/2010

Consulate received Feb 8/2011

Medical Exam March 9/2011

Interview March 24/2011

VISA APPROVED March 24/2011

Visa received April 12th

Moving May 6th

103zhtu.jpg

Timeline

I have crossed many times to the US for a month at a time. The length of stay usually indicates right off the bad a poor tie to Canada. that you or a work related vacation of some sort.

Without a doubt the one way ticket was what set it off. You have to think of things in terms of what you'd think if you were in their shoes. They have to treat every situation and person the same. If you make it harder for them to believe the story they'd rather be safe then sorry. (having a one way ticket). Logically if I saw this that would be more of a red flag then someone driving over the boarder for a month with minimal baggage. We had to go into Customs many times during our travels. I also had no ties what so ever to Canada. What helped me was being honest and telling them, " The best I can give you is my word. That and the fact that I always came back when I said I would with or without the I-94. Sometimes they'd let me go without the visitor visa. Others they'd give me the visa. Another HUGE thing that helped was that we had started the visa process and ALWAYS traveled with any of our visa documentation.

What you'll have to do next time since she is flagged is try to ensure she has proof of ties. For many the proof of ties aren't that bad but once you're flagged you will be scrutinized heavily and expected to bring any and all information you can. I've been told bank statements proving you can provide for yourself and that you still have money going in your Canadian bank account. I would try to ensure you are reading everything on here in terms of crossing. This is one thing that is mentioned many times if you are flying to have a return ticket.

I'm really sorry this has happened perhaps it's time for you to contemplate going to visit her. It may make things easier for you both. However I'd take sunshine and beaches any day over snow ;).

04/18/2009: When two became one

USCIS

03/04/2010: Submitted I-130

06/29/2010: NOA2

NVC

09/02/2010: 1-864 & IV Paid

10/16/2010: 1-864 delivered to NVC

10/27/2010: IV Package delivered to NVC

11/18/2010: AVR "Case Complete" at the NVC

02/14/2011: Medical

02/23/2011: Interview APPROVED!!!!

03/04/2011: Visa Recieved

03/04/2011: POE: Lewiston Bridge, Buffalo, NY

ROC

01/12/2013: I-751 Packet Submitted

01/14/2013: I-751 Packet Received (via certified mail)

01/18/2013: NOA1 Letter Received

One time when I was crossing My Aunt and Uncle were bringing me to the detroit airport, I only had a one way ticket, I got pulled into secondary and questioned. They didnt like that I only had a one way ticket and the only reason they let me cross was because my Aunt offered to buy me a return ticket right then and there. I got a big lecture about having to have a return ticket and proof of ties to Canada. Needless to say, I never made that mistake again. Each time I crossed after that we got sent into secondary but I have never been turned away.

Next time make sure she has a round trip and bring bank statements, a letter from her parents saying she lives with them and they are expecting her home on whatever date her return ticket is for and anything else that can show she lives in Canada and has to return (doctors appointments, interview dates etc.)

Life is like a roller coaster. Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.