lucybelle

When to apply for visa extension?

8 posts in this topic

My boyfriend is coming to the States from Costa Rica on a tourist visa for 6 months. There's a festival I would like him to go to one month after his visa expires. I hope to apply for the extension for one or two months. I'm having him bring a letter from his job saying he has a job in Costa Rica, bank statements to show he has money, and pay stubs to show he has paid bills in Costa RIca. I'm hoping that will be good enough for an extension.

But when should he apply for it? I read that it could take up to 6 months to process! I also read on here that while it is in process, the visa holder can stay in the States until they hear a decision. If it is accepted then they can stay, if not they have 30 days to leave. So should he try to put in the application right away when he gets here? Or wait until a month or two before he leaves to put in the paperwork?

Thanks!

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What sort of job gives that much holiday?

I would suggest he delays his entry for a month or so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What do you mean he should delay his entry? He'll be coming to the USA on Monday. Should he not apply for the extension for a month or two?

As far as his job goes-- he's worked there for 10 years and is leaving them at a critical time. They won't be able to train someone to do his job as well as he can in 6 months. So they want him back.

Full timeline- 

April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)

What do you mean he should delay his entry? He'll be coming to the USA on Monday. Should he not apply for the extension for a month or two?

As far as his job goes-- he's worked there for 10 years and is leaving them at a critical time. They won't be able to train someone to do his job as well as he can in 6 months. So they want him back.

To get an extension on tourist visa you have to send in a form with an explanation on why it is needed. I doubt attending a festival will fly with USCIS.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As Boiler said delay the entry by 1 month if you would like him stay for longer.

Second - Just the reason that you would like him to attend a festival is not a good reason for B1/B2 extension, if not required B1/B2 should never be extended.

Third - Yes the officer at POE is going to ask which job will keep position open for him after 6 months and that he has a very good reason return back to home. Wht I mean he would need some strong ties for his home country.

Fourth - Not necessary that all the tourist will get 6 months, some get less some get full 6 months its all upto officer at POE.

Thanks for the information. I read on the extension website that a reason to extend stay was to continue traveling, and giving a list of places you were planning on going was acceptable. But I guess what the page says and what happens in reality is always different.

Should I not even rely on a visa extension?

Full timeline- 

Filed: Other Timeline

I got an I-539 approved, although that was a long time ago. I stated that traveling through the United States was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me and how much I enjoyed the cultural diversity of this country. Visiting a festival may qualify for this. All you can do is give it a try. Either they approve it, or they don't. File about a month after he gets here.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/i-539instructions.pdf

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If there are no plans to come back as a visitor anytime soon then there seems little downside.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.