AlbaEagles<3

Letter of Intent in I-129F

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

In my hurry to get my I-129F in the mail, I must have overlooked the "letter of intent" bullet point, and I didn't realize I needed one until reading through some posts on this forum. Now that I am reviewing what I actually sent it seems that is the only thing missing. I did a very good job with everything else. I have a couple questions:

What are my odds of an RFE?

If I do get an RFE and need to send them letters of intent, how much time can I expect to lose?

Has anyone here forgotten a letter of intent and NOT received an RFE?

Thanks in advance.

AlbaEagle

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you do get an RFE only for a letter of intent, and you have the letters ready to mail out the day the RFE arrives, you may lose a week or two. Our RFE was very minor but our petition was approved 19 days after our RFE was issued (so we had to wait for the RFE to come to know what we needed to do, and then fix the mistake, send it back etc).

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee just got her visa a couple weeks ago and we never sent a Letter of Intent with the I-129F. It never came up at all. When you think about it, the fact that you are filing the form should give them a pretty good idea that you intend to marry. I don't even think it's required to be notarized, so it basically means nothing anyway.

Timeline

Thank you both for your responses.

iampatricias - i'll keep my fingers crossed that an RFE doesn't come.

Kaiser - I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday. The petition alone should be proof that me and my fiance intend to marry, as well as the fact that I flew to the other side of the planet twice in the last 6 months just to visit her. Thanks for putting my fears to rest. I hope my outcome is the same as yours.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In my hurry to get my I-129F in the mail, I must have overlooked the "letter of intent" bullet point, and I didn't realize I needed one until reading through some posts on this forum. Now that I am reviewing what I actually sent it seems that is the only thing missing. I did a very good job with everything else. I have a couple questions:

What are my odds of an RFE?

If I do get an RFE and need to send them letters of intent, how much time can I expect to lose?

Has anyone here forgotten a letter of intent and NOT received an RFE?

Thanks in advance.

AlbaEagle

We never sent letter of intent either but we did get RFE as my now hubbie did not include pics or anything lol but we get the RFE I had it together in a day and sent it over night express they got it and restarted our case 2 days later we were approved 1 week later.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Thanks Barbara. I included tons of evidence that we met, i.e pictures, airplane ticket stubs, passport stamps. I don't really see the letter of intent as an important document in my opinion. I mean, I am stating my intent by filing for the K-1 Visa, and they can ask my fiance about her intent all they want at the interview. I guess they just like having it in writing, but hopefully i'll be ok without one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks Barbara. I included tons of evidence that we met, i.e pictures, airplane ticket stubs, passport stamps. I don't really see the letter of intent as an important document in my opinion. I mean, I am stating my intent by filing for the K-1 Visa, and they can ask my fiance about her intent all they want at the interview. I guess they just like having it in writing, but hopefully i'll be ok without one.

They want it because the I-129F instructions specifically ask for it. "Provide original statements from you and your fiance(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent". If the evidence you submit clearly establishes that intent then the statements would be redundant, and they could choose to approve the petition without them.

That said, I would never advise someone that the statements aren't required. The instructions clearly say that they are.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

AlbaEagles<3,

I know another user on here a few months back forgot to send something in their packet. What they did was made a copy of their NOA1 and put that on top of the new documents they mailed in. They have since gotten their NOA2. Not sure if they sent it to their service center or the TX lockbox. It was the user kiwibird. Not sure if that is something you want to do but it is an option.

Andy

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You both are supposed to submit updated new letters of intent at the interview.

Thoroughly read and understand the VJ Guides. They are quite simple. If you had done that in the beginning.......

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thanks Andi and Pui, i'll have to try that. Perhaps it will help preempt the RFE.

Baron555, I found this site after submitting the packet, I wish I found out about VJ sooner. In my opinion VJ should be advertised in the I-129F paperwork as the VJ guides are more straight forward than the instructions in the I-129F.

Thanks,

AlbaEagles<3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.