Hilarious Clinton

What was Global Warming is now....

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The biggest problem of course is that 130 years of data is very small when you are talking about changes of 1 degree ov a one hundred year period.

You are right. Perhaps by 2080 we will have a better idea of what the temperature trend was for the next 70 years. :lol:

Most of it is wholly futile. I think there is a desperation to do "something" without realizing exactly what that is. Whatever happens over the next 100 years, I can guarantee that the predictions of today, no matter how good the science seems today, will miss the mark by a significant margin in hindsight. Such has been the history of scientific predictions, and I expect that trend to continue.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is what I am saying. The GW hoaxers have been selling this "crisis" stuff for a couple decades. Nothing changes.

Now the Republicans are going to cut off funding for more studies and deep six any environmental laws, taxes etc. It will all be put on hold for a few years. Maybe 10-12 years. Whether you think that is stupid or not, does not matter. It IS going to happen.

So in 10-12 years is it still going to be a crisis? Who will be listening then?

I tend to agree with that. I don't think there will be an appreciable difference 10 years from now, and I don't think taxes, credits, or any other regulation will help.

The problem I see is that temperature and atmospheric CO2 concentration have been increasing since we started measuring them. There is no 20 year period where the average temperature has gone down. Sure it's not going to be a problem for you and I, but it will be for someone eventually.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

As long as the bear stays above the water, global warming is a myth.

global-warming-polar-bear.jpg

Yeah, people may be OK for now, but it's not looking too good for those poor guys.

Well if JohnSmith2007 is correct, that ice sheet will be back in no time.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

As long as the bear stays above the water, global warming is a myth.

global-warming-polar-bear.jpg

Typical alarmist lies. I guess making things up to prove a point is OK with their side.

Australian TV Exposes ‘Stranded Polar Bear’ Global Warming Hoax

del.icio.us

By Noel Sheppard

polar_bears480.jpg

Remember that wonderful picture of stranded polar bears on an ice floe that were used by folks like soon-to-be-Dr. Al Gore to demonstrate how dire the man-made global warming issue is?

Well, ABC television in Australia, on a show called “Media Watch,” recently debunked the entire issue (video available here, h/t NB member dscott).

It turns out -- as NewBuster Jake Gontesky reported on March 20 -- the picture was taken in August, “when every year the fringes of the Arctic ice cap melt regardless of the wider effects of global warming.”

The photographer, Australian marine biology student Amanda Byrd, didn’t think the bears were in any jeopardy:

They did not appear to be in danger…I did not see the bears get on the ice, and I did not see them get off. I cannot say either way if they were stranded or not.

Denis Simard of Environment Canada agreed:

You have to keep in mind that the bears are not in danger at all. This is a perfect picture for climate change…you have the impression they are in the middle of the ocean and they are going to die...But they were not that far from the coast, and it was possible for them to swim...They are still alive and having fun.

How delicious. Think this kind of broadcast would ever happen in America?

What follows is a full transcript of this segment. Furthermore, here are the e-mail questions answered by the photographer who took the picture. And, here is the full transcript of the interview “Media Watch” did with The Sunday Telegraph’s Neil Breen regarding this matter.

Those stranded polar bears on the shrinking Arctic ice - victims of global warming - certainly tugged at the heart-strings.

That photo was published not only in the Sunday Telegraph.

It made it onto the front page of the New York Times.

And the International Herald Tribune.

It also ran in London's Daily Mail, The Times of London and Canada's Ottawa Citizen - and that's just to name a few.

All used it as evidence of global warming and the imminent demise of the polar bear.

But the photo wasn't current. It was two and a half years old.

And it wasn't snapped by Canadian environmentalists.

It was taken by an Australian marine biology student on a field trip.

And in what month did she take it?

“The time of year was August, summer.”

— Email from Amanda Byrd to Media Watch

Summer, when every year the fringes of the Arctic ice cap melt regardless of the wider effects of global warming.

So were the polar bears stranded?

“They did not appear to be in danger…I did not see the bears get on the ice, and I did not see them get off. I cannot say either way if they were stranded or not.”

And they didn't appear stranded to Denis Simard of Environment Canada.

He told Canada's National Post.

You have to keep in mind that the bears are not in danger at all. This is a perfect picture for climate change…you have the impression they are in the middle of the ocean and they are going to die...But they were not that far from the coast, and it was possible for them to swim...They are still alive and having fun.

— The National Post (Canada), Gore pays for photo after Canada didn't, 23rd March, 2007

Polar bears are good swimmers. So how did all this come about?

Photographer Amanda Byrd gave her photo to fellow cruiser, Dan Crosbie - to have a look.

“Dan Crosbie gave the image to the Canadian Ice Service, who gave the image to Environment Canada, who distributed the image to 7 media agencies including AP.”

Associated Press released the photo two and a half years after it was taken, on the day the United Nations released its major global warming report.

That's where Sydney's Sunday Telegraph got the photo, running it with a story taken from the Daily Mail as Neil Breen explains.

…the photograph represents polar bears standing on ice that’s melting. Now obviously there’s a disputed account of when that was taken now, and maybe it was taken in the Alaskan Summer when you would naturally expect ice to melt but at the time it was sent to us, Associated Press in their caption to us told us that the picture was taken of melting ice caps and to do with global warming and that it was sent to them by a Canadian ice authority and we had no reason to question it.

— Statement from Neil Breen (Editor of the Sunday Telegraph) to Media Watch

But Amanda Byrd didn't think her photo necessarily described whether global warming is occurring.

I take neither stand, I simply took the photos...If I released the image myself, it would have been as a striking image. Nothing more.

That's not how Al Gore saw it.

He used it in a presentation on man made global warming.

"Their habitat is melting... beautiful animals, literally being forced off the planet," Mr. Gore said, with the photo on the screen behind him. "They're in trouble, got nowhere else to go."

Audience members let out gasps of sympathy…

— The National Post (Canada), Gore pays for photo after Canada didn't, 23rd March, 2007

Well that's because they're bears… and at a distance, they're rather cute.

http://www.puppetgov.com/2009/07/10/australian-tv-exposes-stranded-polar-bear-global-warming-hoax/

Timeline

Typical alarmist lies. I guess making things up to prove a point is OK with their side.

Australian TV Exposes ‘Stranded Polar Bear’ Global Warming Hoax

And for every article like that, there's one like this. Unlike the article you posted, this one comes from a source that doesn't have an agenda.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article767459.ece

Wonder if all those polar bear carcasses are a hoax too?

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'm wondering why all the concern for polar bears. they eat people!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

And for every article like that, there's one like this. Unlike the article you posted, this one comes from a source that doesn't have an agenda.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article767459.ece

Wonder if all those polar bear carcasses are a hoax too?

So I assume that you are indeed OK with making things up to push your agenda. Just as I thought, a total lack of scientific morals.

Timeline

Science doesn't deal in morality so I have no idea what scientific morals are meant to be.

Your being dense as well I see. Let me rephrase this for the nit-pickers then. You (Dakine) are OK with making things up, lying, to push your agenda. You (Dakine) have no sense of truthfulness with your science and are willing to accept a deliberate falsehood in order to make your point. You understand now or do you want a diagram?

Timeline

The whole "poor polar bears are drowning" because of GW has been totally debunked. Yet another lie. Sure bears get in trouble now and again because of storms but there is nothing to prove that it is because of GW. In fact, polar bears are in no trouble at all. Their populations are at historic highs. So you have any more lies to tell?

Is global warming really impacting polar bears?

In An Inconvenient Truth, the polar bear drowning on a sole melting piece of ice moved a lot of people and public and political pressure encouraged the US Fish and Wildlife Service to add polar bears as “threatened” animals to the endangered species list.

In 2002, the US Geological Survey in the Arctic Refuge Coastal plain reported the polar bear population was near historic highs. Biologist Mitchell Taylor of the Arctic community of Nunavit who tracks 13 of those colonies, says 11 are stable or thriving with populations that have increased 25%.

There are approximately 19 worldwide polar bear populations, the Fish and Wildlife action was based solely on reviewing data for only one of those populations in western Hudson Bay which has declined by 259 bears in last 17 years. The decline is due to hunting to prevent overpopulation and ironically the Canadian government is looking to increase the quota. (US Geological Survey in Arctic Refuge Coastal Plain 2002, and Dr. Mitchell Taylor, Polar Bear Biologist, Department of Environment, Government of Nunavut , Igloolik , Nunavut , Canada “Last Stand of our wild polar bears” 5/1/06)

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/faqs-and-myths#17

Timeline

So I assume that you are indeed OK with making things up to push your agenda. Just as I thought, a total lack of scientific morals.

I don't have an agenda John. And I didn't say it's OK to make things up. I said for every GW hoax article, you can find a one that shows it not to be.

So far all I have done is post factual data that supports global warming. It's not hard to do because there's a lot of it.

As far as agenda's, your the one who said it's cooling now. You haven't posted any facts supporting that. Obviously because you don't have any. The mean global temperature for the last 5 years is the highest on record. To argue against a fact is irrational.

To this point, most of what you have posted has been pictures and insults. That's what people do when they can't win an argument.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

I don't have an agenda John. And I didn't say it's OK to make things up. I said for every GW hoax article, you can find a one that shows it not to be.

So far all I have done is post factual data that supports global warming. It's not hard to do because there's a lot of it.

As far as agenda's, your the one who said it's cooling now. You haven't posted any facts supporting that. Obviously because you don't have any. The mean global temperature for the last 5 years is the highest on record. To argue against a fact is irrational.

To this point, most of what you have posted has been pictures and insults. That's what people do when they can't win an argument.

But that is just the issue, you continue to post stories that are not true. The polar bears are not in trouble. They were not "stranded" like your picture implied. So you are either swallowing the junk fed to you without bothering to check it out or you are accepting the lie because it promotes your agenda.

I never said the climate is cooling. Yet another example of hearing what you want to hear. I said the warming stopped. That it has done. Since the high of 1989 we have tied that temp but never gone over it. In any book that is saying the temps have stopped going up. You have yet to refute any of it. In the last 130 years the temps have only gone up about 1 deg C. Prove me wrong. A one deg rise in 130 years is no crisis. Oh, and your last point, "To this point, most of what you have posted has been pictures and insults. That's what people do when they can't win an argument.", what pictures? The only one I posted went along with the story I posted. You my friend are the one that posted a picture without regard for the truth with that debunked "attempt to pull at heartstrings cute polar bear about to die" picture. That is what people do when they can't win an argument.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You are just jealous because they have more back hair than you <_<

just barely :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

OMFG. Polar bears love the water.

How far can Polar Bears swim?

Polar bears are efficient swimmers, for such large animals. While in the water they paddle with their front feet, and use the hind feet as rudders. They can swim at a speeds of 4-6 mph and paddle non-stop for 100 miles. Have been seen swimming several hundred miles from the nearest ice or land. While swimming, they keep their eyes open, their nostrils shut and their ears flattened to their heads. Polar bears can stay under up to 2 minutes. They are also capable of leaping out of the water 7'-8' feet from a swimming start. They have been seen catching seals that way.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_far_can_Polar_Bears_swim#ixzz1D0moBKK8

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG