one...two...tree

Is Abortion Morally Equivalent to Murdering Someone?

356 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

In your opinion, if abortion were made illegal, would a woman who has an abortion be charged and convicted in the same manner as a homicide suspect, including the same kind of sentencing (possible capital punishment)?

Timeline

I think it would depend on the circumstances of the mother (aka the assassin :lol:) and the timing of when she did the dastardly deed and the state of the childfetus at the time of assassination.

Actually, you bring up a good point. Would all abortions be regarded as premeditated?

Filed: Timeline

Would all abortions be regarded as premeditated?

If it's not premeditated, it would be a miscarriage or stillbirth (before or after 24 weeks gestation). Abortion by definition is premeditated IMO because I see it as a medical procedure.

A pregnant woman who jumps up and down a trampoline for hours early in her first trimester may or may not succeed in inducing a miscarriage - I wouldn't call that an abortion.

Timeline

Hmm, that's like charging the hitman but not the person who hired him.

Yeah, in legal terms, the mother is just as culpable. It seems to me that those who do consider it morally equivalent to murder aren't quite willing to actually treat the crime exactly like a regular homicide, which then begs the question if they really do consider it morally equivalent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Of course it's not morally equivalent. Most women who have had an abortion would not murder someone ("someone" meaning a living person, outside of the womb"). Unless we think that the only reason for this is that one is legal while the other is not, then they must not be "morally equivalent". Now, the question in the OP is different from the topic title.

If it's illegal it would be illegal.

Are you questioning whether the law would be immoral or the way it's handled?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

... the question in the OP is different from the topic title.

Yes. I chose to address the question and ignored the title.

If it's illegal it would be illegal.

Are you questioning whether the law would be immoral or the way it's handled?

He wants to know what the punishment would be. Specifically, how it would compare to the current punishments for premeditated murder.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it's not premeditated, it would be a miscarriage or stillbirth (before or after 24 weeks gestation). Abortion by definition is premeditated IMO because I see it as a medical procedure.

A pregnant woman who jumps up and down a trampoline for hours early in her first trimester may or may not succeed in inducing a miscarriage - I wouldn't call that an abortion.

No but if one terminates a pregnancy at a doctors or does something to force an abortion then IT IS A ABORTION. A miscarriage is not ones fault. Lets call it forceful termination.

I agree though it depends on everything.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Of course it's not morally equivalent. Most women who have had an abortion would not murder someone ("someone" meaning a living person, outside of the womb"). Unless we think that the only reason for this is that one is legal while the other is not, then they must not be "morally equivalent". Now, the question in the OP is different from the topic title.

Those who want to see Roe v. Wade overturned argue that abortion is morally equivalent to murdering someone, so I was wondering for those who do think along those lines, if they envision women who've had abortions as being tried, convicted, and sentenced in the same manner as a normal homicide suspects? And if not, why not?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Those who want to see Roe v. Wade overturned argue that abortion is morally equivalent to murdering someone, so I was wondering for those who do think along those lines, if they envision women who've had abortions as being tried, convicted, and sentenced in the same manner as a normal homicide suspects? And if not, why not?

You would think they should, right? Dead is dead, beaten is beaten. Like hate crimes, everything other than the end result is irrelevant.