Sand

U.S. Citizen traveling over seas

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi I would like to know if a U.S. Citizen can travel out of the USA for up to 5 year and back to U.S. with no problem. or there will be a problem?

Thanks alot.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

US citizens can travel as long as their passport is valid. That is the beauty of being a citizen, no more travel restrictions

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing you need to do is still remember to file US taxes each year still. That part you can't get away from, even if you don't owe anything you are still required to file them when outside the US...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You're the forth person I met or heard about here that came here, got US citizenship, and left. Where are you going? Is the grass greener? Maybe a lot of others of us would like to join you.

Timeline

You're the forth person I met or heard about here that came here, got US citizenship, and left. Where are you going? Is the grass greener? Maybe a lot of others of us would like to join you.

LoL NickD, i was just wondering. Thats all. by the way .. about taxes. how can i file taxes while i am overseas, WHERE? and what if i am not working there, and not making any money do i still have to file ?

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

Game Over.

Timeline

LoL NickD, i was just wondering. Thats all. by the way .. about taxes. how can i file taxes while i am overseas, WHERE? and what if i am not working there, and not making any money do i still have to file ?

Wife owns a couple of condos in Venezuela, really don't know how I could pay taxes if I was there. First off, the mail service really sucks, anything you send either ends up in a trashcan or in Hugo's pocket. Second is, no money is allowed to leave Venezuela, Hugo wants it all.

I know you can receive SS checks practically anywhere in the world, North Korea, and Viet Nam are a couple of countries they won't send checks to. And I gather many retire in foreign countries where their SS check would stretch a lot further. Costa Rica would take anyone that has a guaranteed income of at least $1,000.00 per month.

Now I hear many Americans are going down to Mexico just to see a dentist. Never looked into that, got a root canal and a crown, root canal took less the 8 minutes, then a two minute session for the crown and another couple of minutes to glue in on. $2,700.00 was the bill, that is outrageous!

Filed: Other Timeline

Nobody said you have to pay taxes, just have to file.

You can do that on a machine called a computer. It's like a human being in a box and it calls the IRS's Web site and they mail the 1040 form but not on paper just on TV and you can fill in all them zeros and then you click SEND and then the form is gone but don't worry because IRS has received it also in the mail but not on paper but on their TV and they put it in a huge box, again not with paper or cardboard but metal and something like that.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thanks guys. good to know.

Game Over.

You may not even be required to file. If your gross income is under a certain amount you aren't required to file (though you still should - never know when you might need that paper trail :whistle: ).

From irs.gov:

"Who Must File

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, whether you must file a federal income tax return depends on your gross income, your filing status, your age, and whether you are a dependent. For details, see Table 1 and Table 2. You also must file if one of the situations described in Table 3 applies. The filing requirements apply even if you owe no tax. "

Cast your cares on Jesus, because He cares for you.

Timeline

Nobody said you have to pay taxes, just have to file.

You can do that on a machine called a computer. It's like a human being in a box and it calls the IRS's Web site and they mail the 1040 form but not on paper just on TV and you can fill in all them zeros and then you click SEND and then the form is gone but don't worry because IRS has received it also in the mail but not on paper but on their TV and they put it in a huge box, again not with paper or cardboard but metal and something like that.

That box won't do you any good in Venezuela, since Hugo took over the internet, blocking many US sites. But so far hasn't blocked MS messenger or g-mail, can't even e-mail from my server, its blocked. Could chat with my stepson to learn if he can get on the IRS site. Ebay and a host of other places to find bargains or comparative prices have been blocked. The Chinese are following the same suit.

Woundn't mind living in Venezuela, all the hurricanes head north, rarely gets below 65*F in the winter months or above 80*F in the summer. But their government sure sucks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.