chris4336

Frustrating Interview - Garden City, NY

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

My husband had his interview today in Garden City, New York. Unfortunetly he was not approved. He passed the test however the interviewer told him she needs him to bring certified copies of his court record and a driving abstract from a $55 traffic ticket he got back in April (making an illegal left turn.) I was shocked when my husband told me they were requiring these documents as it specifically says on the instructions that these documents are NOT necessary. We spoke with a supervisor who stated these requirements are just a suggestiion, and NY is different blah blah blah. The worst part is they couldn't give him another appointment until March. We applied in July. Anyone else experienced this? I considering contacting our senator/representative because this is just really unfair.

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, seems to me a good news. when the USCIS Officer, found something wrong with ur application and wants to deny ur case (Sometimes not all the time), he/she will say we will send u a written decision about ur case. but the good news when the USCIS Officer request some Documents. that means everything went fine but there's something was missing. and u need to send what she/he requested you to send.

but i would like for u to tell me when she gave him N-652 Form,on what she checked there?

Thanks alot.

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

This is an abstract from the USCIS N-400 instruction page 5:

"For example, if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you must send a certified copy of the arrest report, court disposition, sentencing, and any other relevant documents, including any countervailing evidence concerning the circumstances of your arrest or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver's license."

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Timeline

This is an abstract from the USCIS N-400 instruction page 5:

"For example, if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you must send a certified copy of the arrest report, court disposition, sentencing, and any other relevant documents, including any countervailing evidence concerning the circumstances of your arrest or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver's license."

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I think I listed the traffic violation on the N400 when we filed. On the n652 she checked "come the any scheduled interview" as my husband now has another interview in march

Thanks for posting that Nimaan. I showed that to the supervisor and he just said. "that is just a suggestion" I just cannot believe we are being penalized for something it specifically says is not required

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Thanks for the replies. I think I listed the traffic violation on the N400 when we filed. On the n652 she checked "come the any scheduled interview" as my husband now has another interview in march

Thanks for posting that Nimaan. I showed that to the supervisor and he just said. "that is just a suggestion" I just cannot believe we are being penalized for something it specifically says is not required

They have'nt denied you.... They want to see that he payed his traffic fine.

It's just a little longer...and not much longer "1 month" you be done...

show proof you payed the fine on next interveiw and that's it.... he be Approved next month..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They have'nt denied you.... They want to see that he payed his traffic fine.

It's just a little longer...and not much longer "1 month" you be done...

show proof you payed the fine on next interveiw and that's it.... he be Approved next month..

One would think if he wasn't locked up in jail someplace or at least still had his drivers' license, he paid his fine. But then again, dealing with people that don't think.

From a traffic cop perspective, has a quote of tickets they have to issue each month to keep their jobs. When we see a cop car on the road, does anyone say, thank you, he is there to protect us? Not hardly, he is there to hang us. This has been going on since the invention of the automobile, but ironically, we the people, never made an issue out of this.

My last speeding ticket was doing 58 in a 55 where the cop has at the bottom of a very steep hill, fine wasn't bad, but those court costs almost killed me, its a racket. So why are all of us quiet on this issue? Getting a ticket is not the only screw we get, you can expect your insurance rates to also rise. And I am not talking about driving like a maniac. Now I am edgy about my stepdaughter getting a traffic violation for rolling at a stop sign. That is very debatable, according to some cops, should turn off the engine, put the vehicle in park, and walk around the block before taking off again.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I had a similar experience. I sent in my disposition letter from court with my application last year thinking it would be enough to show prove of my citation 3 years ago. I thought that was all i would need since it does ask for any prior arrest or citation. However when i went to my interview they told me to come back because they needed a certificate of good conduct since i had been cited in the pass. I was frustrated since i thought i have done everything they asked for just to find out they wanted an additional document that they never informed me about until the interview. This delayed my in case by another month since i had to be rescheduled the following month for another interview. Theres nothing you can really do but just bring back what they ask for.

Timeline

By the way dont worry its not a denial of your application. They just want to see prove. Once you bring everything they ask for they look at it and approve your application on the spot. It literaly takes 5 minutes on the rescheduled interview since they already questined you and you passed the test.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a similar experience. I sent in my disposition letter from court with my application last year thinking it would be enough to show prove of my citation 3 years ago. I thought that was all i would need since it does ask for any prior arrest or citation. However when i went to my interview they told me to come back because they needed a certificate of good conduct since i had been cited in the pass. I was frustrated since i thought i have done everything they asked for just to find out they wanted an additional document that they never informed me about until the interview. This delayed my in case by another month since i had to be rescheduled the following month for another interview. Theres nothing you can really do but just bring back what they ask for.

What is a certificate of good conduct? I have a few JUvinelle offenses... (are actually expunged but in Canada) I still have

3 years before I can apply for Citizenship but I wondered how that would go. Better to be prepared in advance :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Certificate of conduct is done to do a background check and shows you're a person of good character. It shows your criminal history and fingerprints. They want to make sure you're not lying about any arrest or previous convictions that you are possibly hiding. All you have to do is go to your local police station and request one. I forgot how much they cost but it usually takes 2 weeks to be completed and have it picked up.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I just wanted to update everyone - my husband returned for his interview with a copy a his driving abstract, receipt that he paid his traffic violation, and certificate of good conduct. They told him "everything looked good" but they had to run it by the manager so he was given the paper that said "A decision cannot be made on your case." We pleaded with a supervisor that our case has already been significantly delayed (we applied in July) but they said there as nothing they can do. We are both pretty devastated that we have wait even longer. The paper says we should be contacted within 120 days.

My questions are what are my next steps if the 120 days pass with no word. I plan on contacting my senator/representatives but is there anything we can do to speed this process along?

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is nothing you can do - period. Contact your congressman, that's about all that can be done. USCIS doesn't actually care if you're inconvenienced. You're #94285875 of #245887538765 applicants. You don't matter, so pleading or being upset doesn't matter.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Contact your US Representative and outline your situation. Do not rant, keep it to one page and explain the situation clearly so they can effectively help you. ( I say this because the longer it is and the more emotional it is means the assistant has more work to do... they hate that ;) )

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just wanted to update everyone - my husband returned for his interview with a copy a his driving abstract, receipt that he paid his traffic violation, and certificate of good conduct. They told him "everything looked good" but they had to run it by the manager so he was given the paper that said "A decision cannot be made on your case." We pleaded with a supervisor that our case has already been significantly delayed (we applied in July) but they said there as nothing they can do. We are both pretty devastated that we have wait even longer. The paper says we should be contacted within 120 days.

My questions are what are my next steps if the 120 days pass with no word. I plan on contacting my senator/representatives but is there anything we can do to speed this process along?

While both gathering evidence of paid fines for my stepdaughter, I contacted Senator Kohls' that really didn't want deal with me because I live in the northern part of the state. Told Lauren, the immigration person that Russ said I should contact you, he wasn't re-elected. She said she would see what she could do.

Here is her time line.

02/11/2011, interview, A decision cannot be made at this time, she was asked if she had traffic violations, she said yes, two when she was a minor, but none in the last three years.

02/15/2011, A letter from the St. Paul came in, nothing about traffic violations, wanted her court case of battery charges when she was 17 months old and assault charges when she was four years old.

Contacted Sen. Kohls' office, left a voice message, but never got a return call until 02/24/2011, Lauren said that entire was a miscommunication, ignore it, but was still concerned about getting a letter from the St. Paul office as verification to that effect. She said they don't do that. We continued to gather evidence.

03/04/2011 Her oath letter came in, case closed. Her oath date is 03/24/2011 at 2:15PM at the St. Paul's office, says its only 30 minutes long, rare for St. Paul. Typically held at the Viking stadium and you wait until they have about 3,500 applicants. But their roof caved in, so not sure if that is the reason or if my stepdaughter is getting special treatment.

Let you know what happens the 24th, stepdaughter definitely wants her stepdad along.

Suggest you call your senator, wifes' friend in Illinois ran into a similar problem, told her to contact her senator at the time, that was Obama, but nowhere to be found nor his staff when he was running for president. She didn't want to take the USCIS to court after 120 days, so ended up waiting 15 months before she got her certificate.

Oh, after I Ieft that voice message to Lauren, still wasn't comfortable, typed a letter explaining the situation and attached the letter from the St. Paul's office to it, so she had a clear idea of what was going on.

Hope this helps you, we sure know what you are going through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.